Taylor888

Damaged crankcase

My son and I are restoring a 1986 XR100R and as we got into disassembling the engine I found damage to the left side of the crankcase. The attached pic isn’t mine but one I pulled from the internet. Apparently I’m not the only one with this problem. The mating surface between the left crankcase and the crankcase cover has a chunk missing. There’s no way to seal off the flywheel area when the crankcase cover is installed. 

Any suggestions? I’m assuming it can’t be repaired. Anybody ever buy one half of a crankcase and installed it? What kind of job is splitting the crankcase and putting it all back together correctly? Should I just look for a new crankcase or a whole new engine? Kinda bummed out about this  

I appreciate any advice you might have. 

EB2D13BF-068D-4593-93B5-DE590CC2B70C.jpeg

That is common damage to many bikes that are neglected on chain tension and lube. I have picked up several used engines and bikes that have this type of damage. Just poorly maintained. Closest thing to a simple fix is to fill in the chunked area with a hand fit piece of metal and then JB Weld or epoxy it in place. File, sand or die grind to fit . Otherwise an expensive and laborious weld repair can be done. Splitting the cases and such. I have found the DID  ER  428nz3 chain to be superior to all others on my little XRs. Big bikes too. Factory spec adjustment of 1 1/4" at lower mid span never fails on XR100 if you have a well lubed and not badly stretched chain. Also wheel bearings, swingarm bushings, engine mount bolts and sprocket condition can cause derailment gnarl. Good luck.

SANY3323.JPG

That's what happens to these bikes since they don't come with a proper chain guide and people run loose chains.  You can buy cases on ebay, although you need to look at the left side.  90% of  cases sold on ebay have left side damage.  Plus, it will be kinda hard to find a clean set of pre-1992 cases.  If you not too sure on your mechanical skill, you can buy a bottom end. Then you can simply swap top ends.  

Thank you all for your advice and insight. I decided to order a new crankcase cover since it was also damaged. For the damaged area on the actual crankcase, I’m going to fit a piece of metal and JB Weld it into place. I’ll use a dremel to shape it so the crankcase cover will seat well. Hopefully that will work. 

Thanks again!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:

• Similar Content

• By Daniel627
      A while back I picked up a '95 XR250R swingarm that I plan on installing on my '90 XR200R in the near future, to save a little weight and have rear disk brakes. 
      I missed out on a totally complete rear brake system for $75 a while back which sucks. I look on Ebay every now and then hoping to find a great deal on a complete or near complete setup but no luck lately.
      Is anyone aware if Honda used the same brake system that was used on the '90-'95 XR250R, on any other bikes? 
      If so, then I can expand my search. If not, then I'll just keep looking at 250 parts til I find the right setup for the right price. 
    • By riverside21
      Has anybody purchased/used one of these Arrowhead IHA6017 cdi boxes??  I tried 2 different ones of these on a 1987 and 1994 XR200R, and the bikes won't even start.  Bikes just pop and backfire, had to put the old cdi's back on.  I noticed when I ordered the boxes they stated "advance ignition curves" in the specs.  The box is also much bigger than the stocker and won't fit in the rubber mount.  I didn't mess with moving around the timing to try and get these to work....I just sent them back.  
    • By riverside21
      Recently picked up a 1987 xr200r in pretty good condition, all stock.  The carb was all gummed up and running real rich, and the previous owner removed the baffle and end cap from the exhaust, but left the air box top chute in place.  I cleaned up the carb and verified all stock jetting, needle position, air screw, etc.  Where we live the quieter the better for off-roading so I ordered a new baffle and end cap, but did ride the bike for a week before the parts arrived.  With the muffler parts out I had a brown plug and plenty of power throughout the entire throttle range.  Got the muffler parts, installed them and now the bike falls flat while climbing hills and gradually rolling on the throttle, I get a burble at low speed sometimes and I have a black sooty plug.  I'm kind of at a loss on this one.  I realize that the parts restricted the exhaust....but it's basically back to stock and I've had these bikes stock before and they ran fine.  Seeing as I have all stock jets and am getting a sooty plug, I'm wondering if electrics are weak?  I also tried adjusting the air screw in/out and moving the needle clip to position 2, either of the two made my problem worse.
      Any ideas?
    • By riverside21
      So the other day I notice that the rear shock spring on our 1994 xr200r had cracked and separated about 2 coils from the top.  No big I thought....just go on Ebay and pick something.  Well, after a few days of looking I can't find ANYTHING used or aftermarket!  The stock Honda spring #52401-KT0-691 is "no longer available".  Can anybody lead me in the right direction to get a replacement spring for this bike??
      Thanks in advance.
    • By hondamaster1
      I have a 1999 xr200r. I used to ride it like a champ than i stored it for a year getting it out once in a while to run. Than i took it out a couple days ago started it and it ran and died instantly. I cleaned out the carb put everything back together and still sane thing. You have to feather the throttle to keep it running. It also made a loud pop and it jerks you when you ride it. I changed the spark plug, cleaned the carb, and put new gas in the tank. Any ideas? Wanted to ride it this weekend...