CRF450L Accessory Shopping List

My new CRF450L is definitely a keeper, but I'm missing many of the farkles that my current WR250R has.  This is the first time I've ever bought a bike so early in the cycle, so I'm guessing it's going to take some time until the aftermarket catches up.

Seat:

I definitely want a different seat.  I rode about 4 hrs yesterday, and was really missing the seat concepts 'comfort' seat I have on my WR.  Based on the seatconcepts website, it *looks* like the seat is the same across all the current CRF450 models.  Is that accurate?

Hand Guards:

I have "zeta"branded handguards on my WR that attach down on the triple clamps.  I've heard good and bad things about the zetas, but mine have held up well.  I've crashed that bike hard many times, frequently burying one end of the bars in mud, sand, rocks, etc., and I haven't even bent the stock bar.  I definitely want a set of handguards for the 450 that mount the same way.  Is the geometry for the bars and such the same on the L as the other 450 models, or do I need to wait?

Rack:

I have a Scaggs billet rack that mounts right to the rear subframe through the fender on my WR now and love it.  I guess I just need to wait for Scaggs to release the same thing for the 450L

GPS Mount:

I have a homemade aluminum mount for a Garmin Montana on my WR now that mounts to the bar clamps.  I'll probably either re-make the same thing or design and 3-D print one that ties into the cross bar with some hollow inserts and longer bolts at the clamps . . unless there's another good option.  Here's what I have now: http://gallery.netmagi.com/v/NJDS/2015/prep/image1.jpeg.html

Also not too keen on the size of the rear plate holder with the light and everything, though  it *is* better than the 6' long plastic thing the WR's come with.  Have one of the DRC moto rear lights on the WR.  Not sure what options will come out for the CRF450L, but I might try my hand at modding the stock unit, since the brake light itself is pretty small and the stock signal lights are a bit big, but rather nice.

1 minute ago, NetMagi said:

My new CRF450L is definitely a keeper, but I'm missing many of the farkles that my current WR250R has.  This is the first time I've ever bought a bike so early in the cycle, so I'm guessing it's going to take some time until the aftermarket catches up.

Seat:

I definitely want a different seat.  I rode about 4 hrs yesterday, and was really missing the seat concepts 'comfort' seat I have on my WR.  Based on the seatconcepts website, it *looks* like the seat is the same across all the current CRF450 models.  Is that accurate?

My seat is on order, 2-3 weeks to manufacture, Seat Concepts needs to hire some more help.  Anybody out there with upholstery skills, heres your chance to make some money so they aren't the only game in town.  Freakin ridiculous.

14 hours ago, fatbikeracer said:

My seat is on order, 2-3 weeks to manufacture, Seat Concepts needs to hire some more help.  Anybody out there with upholstery skills, heres your chance to make some money so they aren't the only game in town.  Freakin ridiculous.

Ha, if it was that easy. We get our seat covers from 3 different vendors to spread the load and they still can't keep up.  Another issue is the volume, we build and ship on average 2500 seats per month and that number is growing. Each foam needs to cure in the mold for approximately 20 minutes.

We just bought the building next door to bring our total square footage up to 16000 sq ft.  We realize that time is money and are making strides to get the lead times down.

But at the same time demand is off the charts.

Bundy

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, mxbundy2 said:

Ha, if it was that easy. We get our seat covers from 3 different vendors to spread the load and they still can't keep up.  Another issue is the volume, we build and ship on average 2500 seats per month and that number is growing. Each foam needs to cure in the mold for approximately 20 minutes.

We just bought the building next door to bring our total square footage up to 16000 sq ft.  We realize that time is money and are making strides to get the lead times down.

Bundy

I don't mind waiting a bit, no worries there.  I'll prolly be modding in the garage all through winter.  Is the seat across the whole crf450 platform the same?

-Rich H.

3 hours ago, mxbundy2 said:

Bundy

Roger that, my ovaries were just sore from riding that day.

On 10/12/2018 at 1:34 AM, BizzySaintz said:

I installed Zeta hand guards on my bike. I like the look of them. Hopefully they hold up if and when I crash. 

20181010_155439.jpg

Awesome, I had just ordered what I think are the same parts (but in Titanium) color for mine the day you posted this.  Funny thing was I had spent 30 mins deciding between the black and white plastic pieces and looking for pics of 450R's  to get an idea of what the color would look like.  If I had just looked on here, you've already got white ones, and installed them, lol.  Glad I went with white, they look great.

Question though, now that I've got the parts in, compared to the same parts when I bought them for my WR, it looks like the design of the "side mounts" has changed a bit, and the anodizing doesn't quite match the handguard bars.  Can you post a close-up shot of the side mounts at the forks?

-Rich H.

Edited by NetMagi

4 minutes ago, NetMagi said:

Awesome, I had just ordered what I think are the same parts (but in Titanium) color for mine the day you posted this.  Funny thing was I had spent 30 mins deciding between the black and white plastic pieces and looking for pics of 450R's  to get an idea of what the color would look like.  If I had just looked on here, you've already got white ones, and installed them, lol.  Glad I went with white, they look great.

Question though, now that I've got the parts in, compared to the same parts when I bought them for my WR, it looks like the design of the "side mounts" has changed a bit, and the anodizing doesn't quite match the handguard bars.  Can you post a close-up shot of the side mounts at the forks?

-Rich H.

In fact, here's the pic from zeta's site, showing an example installation of the side-mount types:

On 10/9/2018 at 10:42 AM, NetMagi said:

I don't mind waiting a bit, no worries there.  I'll prolly be modding in the garage all through winter.  Is the seat across the whole crf450 platform the same?

-Rich H.

Yes, from 2017 on, all the seats for the 450 interchange. 

Bundy

I got both a standard and low height seat concepts seats for my ktm 500 exc. I was very disappointed with both and I could feel the seat pan. My old Yamaha also came with one and it was to hard. The stock seats were more comfortable and I ended up sticking with stock on both. I think seat concepts seats are way over rated and priced.

On 10/16/2018 at 11:05 PM, Deepseadan said:

I got both a standard and low height seat concepts seats for my ktm 500 exc. I was very disappointed with both and I could feel the seat pan. My old Yamaha also came with one and it was to hard. The stock seats were more comfortable and I ended up sticking with stock on both. I think seat concepts seats are way over rated and priced.

Really surprised to hear that! I had the 'low-comfort' on my WR250R and absolutely loved it.  Put a lot of miles on that seat.  Wonder if some of the seat pans are just hard to work around.   I ordered the std. height comfort for my CRF last week.  Fingers crossed it's as good as the one I had on my WR.

-Rich H.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fatbikeracer said:

Dont be afraid of putting on your own cover, with a $25 air stapler from Harbor Freight it was pretty easy.
Raining today, needs a test ride for the final verdict. Red is a shade dark, so get all black if color match is important to you.
20181020_113402.jpeg20181020_113346.jpeg

yeh I went all black, carbon sides, gripper top, std height comfort.  Shipped, but haven't gotten it yet.  How's it feel just sittin still?

• Like 1