Quieter alternatives to removing the baffle

Hey guys, 

I'm looking for quieter alternatives to removing the baffle. I'm currently running an uncorked 230 with 120/45 jetting and no baffle, but it's simply too loud for the riding I do. and I have a feeling I'm pissing off some neighbors. I can run it with the baffle in with a little loss in power, but I'm considering drilling some holes in the baffle and running it that way. I'm wondering if this will be noticeably quieter than running no baffle. 

I also have a slip on that the PO gave me. He said he took it off because it was TOO QUIET compared to the pipe with no baffle, so maybe I should try that. Haven't tried it yet cus it looks like a chinese ebay special. 

Has anyone found a good middle ground between loud and uncorked?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Jeff Edwards said:

Hey guys, 

I'm looking for quieter alternatives to removing the baffle. I'm currently running an uncorked 230 with 120/45 jetting and no baffle, but it's simply too loud for the riding I do. and I have a feeling I'm pissing off some neighbors. I can run it with the baffle in with a little loss in power, but I'm considering drilling some holes in the baffle and running it that way. I'm wondering if this will be noticeably quieter than running no baffle. 

I also have a slip on that the PO gave me. He said he took it off because it was TOO QUIET compared to the pipe with no baffle, so maybe I should try that. Haven't tried it yet cus it looks like a chinese ebay special. 

Some recent work is here http://bit.ly/2zFwpF3

Gio has had good results. I am waiting for parts to arrive.

4 hours ago, adnohguy said:

IMG_1516.JPG

But keep in mind that in order to achieve more quiet power than stock you may have to reduce the size of your current main jet by up to four sizes smaller.

You know Guy, I totally believe you on this working well....

But , to me personally, it is and always has been.... Soooooooo freaking fugly to me .... That it would have to make so much more hp than anything else for me to even consider it... And even then I wouldn't ...lol...

During my Dyno owning years I had tested supertrapp disc style exhausts on 450s ... Only 450s though....

If you had few enough discs on to control noise at all... And that was like 6~8 discs.... Power sucked everywhere....

Then if you ran them up to full power at like 18 discs... loud ...Loud.... LOUD!!

I do know the diffuser and megaphone physics ... And am a big fan of harnessing pressure waves for efficient power production.... But in my testing , while a ton of discs ran very well, it was no better than a well designed conventional system.... But much fuglier .... And threw exhaust residue on the plastics...

• Like 2

Needing a smaller main jet is an indication of a strong vacuum signal pulling more fuel through a smaller jet...

That's a good sign ... 

But ... Less discs .... Means less diffuser/megaphone action... Along with less flow area... 

More discs is more of the good stuff..... But then comes a ton of noise....  And gunk on your plastics from radial blast...

And it's still butt ugly.... Lol

• Like 1

Good for you for wanting to be responsible!  Less sound = more ground for sure! 

If you have the budget, see if an FMF Q series exhaust is available for your bike.  They have about the best performance to sound ratio of any exhaust I've seen.  Restricting the size of the outlet can definitely quiet it down, but usually also takes a lot of HP with it.  Exhausts like the FMF Q are different inside and are better at deadening sound without losing power.  

Edited by sirthumpalot

23 hours ago, Jeff Edwards said:

Hey guys, 

There was a feller a couple years ago who had clamped a 90 degree curved piece of rubber automotive radiator hose onto the end of the OE muffler.  It doesn't get hot enough to damage the rubber and aims the sound down and back.  He claimed it made a world of difference with the small diffuser baffle removed.  Maybe I can find the thread.

2 minutes ago, MetricMuscle said:

There was a feller a couple years ago who had clamped a 90 degree curved piece of rubber automotive radiator hose onto the end of the OE muffler.  It doesn't get hot enough to damage the rubber and aims the sound down and back.  He claimed it made a world of difference with the small diffuser baffle removed.  Maybe I can find the thread.

This is the sort of cheap ingenuity I'm looking for!

13 minutes ago, MetricMuscle said:

It is mentioned here http://www.blackdogdualsport.com/StealthMeBaby.htm

Adnohguy has welded on a steel 45 deg tip

I have ordered a silicone 45 deg "turbo hose" which I will try

Pix are here http://bit.ly/2zFwpF3

Edited by RedMesa

You know Guy, I totally believe you on this working well....
But , to me personally, it is and always has been.... Soooooooo freaking fugly to me .... That it would have to make so much more hp than anything else for me to even consider it... And even then I wouldn't ...lol...
During my Dyno owning years I had tested supertrapp disc style exhausts on 450s ... Only 450s though....
If you had few enough discs on to control noise at all... And that was like 6~8 discs.... Power sucked everywhere....
Then if you ran them up to full power at like 18 discs... loud ...Loud.... LOUD!!
I do know the diffuser and megaphone physics ... And am a big fan of harnessing pressure waves for efficient power production.... But in my testing , while a ton of discs ran very well, it was no better than a well designed conventional system.... But much fuglier .... And threw exhaust residue on the plastics...

You all should know that the power ring that I recommend has not been personally tested on ANY OTHER BRAND, MAKE, SIZE OR MODEL OF MOTORCYCLE, QUAD OR SXS BY ME.
Only on a 150/230 Honda...

Everyone in the world could be correct and absolutely hate the power ring on every thing it’s bolted too. I personally don’t have a clue.

But it works so fracking well on a stock 230/150f muffler with a oversized header because it’s super quiet, make a noticeable increase in power when jetted properly (more than any aftermarket pipe that I have tested)

Loud pipes are well known to “Save Lives” but I personally hate them myself.
It took me years before I would try one and Paul (vortec CPI) sent me one for free, just to try it and after I re-jetted it “Down” four sizes on the main jet it was truly amazing to me at least on how much better it ran and how much more quiet the bike was/is.
I gave him what he was asking for the device and threw in his shipping cost to me because I was so Impressed.
I use them on all my engines now from bone stock with 8 disks on stock mufflers up to and including 273’s with 14 disks and really large oversized headers on CHM muffler canisters with 1 1/2 “ cores.

And Mixxer, just to you:
They are not ugly at all when your leading....I’m just saying. ?
  • Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Guy...

I know for a fact... And would bet anything on it...

That you absolutely know 100% what you are talking about in all cases... And your advice is 100% sound advice in all cases....

No question ...

People will ALWAYS do well to listen to the advice you take the time to share...

But.... The stock pipe is heavy AND ugly... And the diffuser disc setup has always been too ugly for me personally....

So a marriage between the 2 is just too horrific to let my mind try and fully grasp.... good Lord man...!! Pipes are my favorite performance item... And in a lot of cases they are the only performance part you can see externally on your beloved dirt bike.... you gotta go with sexy...

• Like 1