Cleaning dirt stained engine?

I use petrol for engine cleaning, here I found a cheap bottles. After if I use a scotch britte similar like Cameron does: 

Wire wheels and ScotchBrite pads don't work well in deep / narrow crevices.

(say the area between the water pump and clutch cover on the engine cover pictured above)

After degreasing the parts with brake cleaner,

soda blasting will likely obtain the results you are wishing.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

I have read claims that cleaning the parts well (soap/water/degreaser), then using silver polish agreesively on them will remove the stains and bring back some shine.   I plan on doing that on parts of my KDX200 this winter.

good luck,

Greg

I just found out about this . Send it to a vapor blast company. Will look brand new.

• Like 1

Try soaking in WD-40 and a scotch bright and a brass brush but if you can send it to a vapor honing thing (I don’t know about any here in Germany try and tell about the results. But Vapor honing might give it a shine even tho the Aluminium is not polished, don’t know if you like that

I bought a Soda Blaster 2 by JWL. I buy the "soda" at harbor frieght.

I used it on my brake calipers, swingarm, spark plugs, etc... when I was building my CR500AF.

Works awesome, but you need an air compressor.

Before you get into the Scotch Brite game, look up all the many different grades of coarseness.

On any cleaner, sanding, etc., err on the side of caution and start with the most gentle cleaner, then work toward more aggressive. Be careful of time of contact on chemicals.

• Like 1

Simple green with an old toothbrush to scrub is a gentle place to start.  And not expensive either.  Like kdx garage said, work your way up to harsher coarser methods.

Just a point:

Most older motors that were natural silver aluminum finish were in fact,clear coated with a really good quality clear coat. They were not polished and left bare to the elements. 

If you want to recreate the original look,use a temperature resistant satin finish clear coat over a squeaky clean surface.

• Like 2

I've done this before on 4-strokes that were stained with acid mud from Ohio. 

Try Eagle One Mag Wheel Cleaner, or go to your local NAPA and buy a bottle of Aluma-Blast.  They are both pretty much the same, which is an acid that will remove the stains.  There's a catch though.  Have a spray bottle of straight tap water ready, spray on the aluminum cleaner in a small area, let is set for no more than 30 seconds, then rinse with the water.  If you leave the cleaner on much longer than that, it will turn the aluminum a dark gray, as was mentioned earlier.  You can also spray on the cleaner and scrub with a green scratchy pad/nylon brush to get stains out of crevices without actually removing aluminum.

57 minutes ago, 70_mustang said:

Try Eagle One Mag Wheel Cleaner, or go to your local NAPA and buy a bottle of Aluma-Blast.  They are both pretty much the same, which is an acid that will remove the stains.  There's a catch though.  Have a spray bottle of straight tap water ready, spray on the aluminum cleaner in a small area, let is set for no more than 30 seconds, then rinse with the water.  If you leave the cleaner on much longer than that, it will turn the aluminum a dark gray, as was mentioned earlier.  You can also spray on the cleaner and scrub with a green scratchy pad/nylon brush to get stains out of crevices without actually removing aluminum.

I used something similar when I built my son's XR100 below. It was pretty grungy when it came to me in a bunch of boxes. My neighbor has an addiction to detailing his rides to perfection and has a bottle of stuff like you mentioned. Did a great job when combined with a little scrubbing when needed and a good power wash to rinse after a short soak. Nasty stuff too, wear eye protection as it'll probably damage your eyes. I used a full face grinding shield. 

20170929_164245.jpg

3 hours ago, KDXGarage said:

Wow. Nice XR100!

Thanks, it's almost 18 years old and started life with me in a bunch boxes. You can see how clean the engine got with very little work. I made a plate for the intake port and a plug for the exhaust and scrubbed the hell out of it, then hit it with the aluminum cleaner. 

On 10/11/2018 at 6:15 AM, 70_mustang said:

Can you post a link to the aluma-blast?

On 10/13/2018 at 11:57 AM, ar2stroke said:

Can you post a link to the aluma-blast?

Sure.  https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/MCR1458

NAPA now calls the stuff Aluminum Brigthener.

Also, here is a link to Eagle One Mag Wheel Cleaner:  https://www.eagleone.com/etching-mag-wheel-cleaner

Both work equally well, but the Aluminum Brightener is a bit cheaper and can be had in gallon jugs if you've got a lot to clean.

• Like 2