Calming the YZ250FX (throttle tamer, etc.)

I just picked up a 2019 YZ250FX and had the dealer load the more slippery condition MAP setting as a starting point.  With all the rain we have gotten this year most of the trails I’m riding include mud and and wet roots to loose doll head and football size rocks.  No doubt for now the snappy throttle can be a bit much in the more technical stuff.   I was able to handle the bike well this past weekend without whiskey throttling into the trees but would love to calm the throttle response down a bit more until I get a little more experience on the bike.  I’ve seen several on here say to install a throttle tamer - (is everyone referring to the G2 Dirt Tamer with the 400 Cam?).  It doesn’t look like G2 makes lock on grip options for the YZ250FX throttle tube - what grips are everyone using once you install the Dirt Tamer?  Is there other Grip / Cam options that could produce a similar calming throttle response - possibly ODI with a different Cam or is the G2 Dirt Tamer the only option?  I’m looking to also buy a GYTR Tuner but wanted to start with the throttle.

Greatly appreciate everyone’s feedback.

RP

Edited by R1peacock

Put the stock program back in !!!  Remove both tires and start a fire with them !!! Drop one tooth on the rear sprocket !!!  Find tires that work for you, I know everyone has a different opinion.  My current favorite set up is a Shenko 216mx Fatty on front with a 110 Kenda Ibex on the rear.  Haven't done anything else except springs for my weight.  I would go anywhere with confidence with this set up.  If anything I might play with my tuner for a stronger hit.  All this talk about abrupt throttle is a gearing issue in my opinion.  My 450FX was even worse until I dropped two teeth on the rear.  I might even try two down on the rear of my 250 FX.

I have the G2 throttle tamer on my 17 250FX and I love it. I ride mostly very technical singletrack terrain and ride in the Rocky mountains once a year so a lot of slow 1st gear stuff. For my riding, the throttle tamer was a must. The G2 will have the cam included that is most suitable for your bike based on their research but you can buy a cam kit for it and get all of them but that's not necessary IMO. If you don't ride much technical single track stuff you might not need it. I found it to be helpful in the on/off throttle in 1st gear where it took most of the jerkiness away. For tires, I threw my stock ones away and got Michelin Starcross 5 Mids which was rated good tire in almost any condition by extreme endure riders. 

2 hours ago, MNRXV450 said:

I have the G2 throttle tamer on my 17 250FX and I love it. I ride mostly very technical singletrack terrain and ride in the Rocky mountains once a year so a lot of slow 1st gear stuff. For my riding, the throttle tamer was a must. The G2 will have the cam included that is most suitable for your bike based on their research but you can buy a cam kit for it and get all of them but that's not necessary IMO. If you don't ride much technical single track stuff you might not need it. I found it to be helpful in the on/off throttle in 1st gear where it took most of the jerkiness away. For tires, I threw my stock ones away and got Michelin Starcross 5 Mids which was rated good tire in almost any condition by extreme endure riders. 

Ditto, ditto, ditto!  The G2 Dirt Tamer makes a big difference in tight single track even if you have good clutch control and can help your endurance.

I don't mind the stock Dunlop AT-81s for some conditions but I usually have a different set of wheels on with different tires.  It really depends on the surfaces you are riding on.  Also, very skillful riders might notice more of a difference between different but similar tires.  I never use the AT-81s on MX tracks and some off-road environments but they seem like a good enough general purpose off-road tire for my use.  I also use different rear sprockets depending on what I will be riding/racing that day but usually 50T for track and 51T for off-road with 52T very occasionally for some tough trails.

I've got one grip on the G2 -200 and another on the stock tube. When I ride track I throw the stocker on and for woods (very tight, bumpy tech) I throw the G2 on. I toggle b/t 2 maps also. Takes all of 5 minutes if all the bits are handy (they are).

I'm very happy with this system.

1 hour ago, bkoz said:

Load the dirtbiketest map, turn the idle up to 2100rpm and ride it.  No need for a throttle tube IMHO.  I ride nothing but British Columbia mountain single track. 

This.

I mostly run the DBT map and 2100-2200 RPM idle.

• Like 1

I have a 17 250FX. I did the G2 throttle tamer, and it may have helped some but it is still there. I installed a Rekluse radius x clutch and that has been a tremendous help with the off idle jerkiness. All starts are smooth, and riding through rock gardens of New England is possible now for me. ( I turned 60 this year, and my clutch control in terrain like that is not my strong suit) The only thing I notice now is the throttle is still very sensitive and has a very light feel to it. When I get on my other bikes the throttles feel heavy.

I’ve owned a ‘15 and now an ‘18 250fx and never felt the need to add a throttle cam. It took me all of about 10 minutes to adjust to the way the throttle acts. I run a rekluse core exp 3.0 which probably helps with the jerkiness quite a bit. 

For all of those talking about getting rid of the stock tires do you know they don’t come with at81 anymore? 18 and up come with MX3 tires and they are ok. 

I like the Dirt Bike Test map and the hard hitting map

• Like 2

I’ve owned a ‘15 and now an ‘18 250fx and never felt the need to add a throttle cam. It took me all of about 10 minutes to adjust to the way the throttle acts. I run a rekluse core exp 3.0 which probably helps with the jerkiness quite a bit. 
For all of those talking about getting rid of the stock tires do you know they don’t come with at81 anymore? 18 and up come with MX3 tires and they are ok. 
I like the Dirt Bike Test map and the hard hitting map
I found the rear Mx3s to be ok but the front was very twitchy and deflected off everything in the rocks and roots of Tennessee. Had the same issues with my 450. Totally transformed the bike with an M59 or the Shenko fatty.

I also had the off idle jerk on my 2015 fx. I first tried the g2 throttle tamer. Not much of a difference. After getting a tuner and loading the dirt bike test map the jerk was gone. Smooth off idle almost like me old wr250f.
Tried the dirt bike map in my 2019 FX this weekend. Felt like the bottom was really lazy transitioning from the bottom to the mid range. Loved what it did for the top end. Anyone have any recommendations for keeping the top end but putting the punch back in the bottom? It's almost like the dirt bike map completely flipped the stock map.

This seems to be a common topic I keep seeing posted. I ride/race a 2015 YZ250FX in New England in the NETRA 250B class. When I first got the bike I did notice the throttle a little snappy. After a few rides I got used to it and didn't notice it anymore. What I did notice was that first gear was pretty much useless and I found myself using the clutch in 2nd gear more than I liked. I went up a tooth in the rear (51 is stock to 52) and ran the stock map. I found this helped a good bit. Most of the time I'm in 2nd or 3rd gear unless I am really crawling then I'll kick it down into first. I tried the dirt bike test map and hated it. It seems more suited for faster conditions, which is not what I ride. I really like the GYTR aggressive map riding Moto. 

• Like 1

On 10/14/2018 at 6:14 PM, Tripp Volz said:

Anyone have any recommendations for keeping the top end but putting the punch back in the bottom? It's almost like the dirt bike map completely flipped the stock map.

For what you say and if resistance to stalling is important  -  try this one:

"Hard Map Softened"

-1  0  1            1  1  1

-1 -1  1            1  2  1

0 -1 -1             0  2  1 

I finally got out on the 250fx to run a few heat cycles thru it.....still cant really "ride" from eye surgery but let a friend ride it too....

I loved the throttle response,no jerkiness for me

Coming from a 300 2 stroke and having an 1190 in garage I find the 250fx throttle and fueling to be awesome.

Idle around in 1st and there still was no jerkiness.

Im gonna go out on a limb and say the suspension will probably be the best ive ever had on an off road bike too

I got back into riding recently after a layoff (marriage, kids, etc.). I love my new bike but find it difficult to control the throttle response. I’ve owned several Honda and Kawasaki MX bikes over the years and have ridden several newer KTM, Honda and Kawasaki 4 stroke EFI models recently and never experienced the throttle being so touchy as with the FX. I found the FX hard to ride slow. The other bikes (all modern 4 strokes) had more of a delayed throttle response. The throttle on my FX was either “all or nothing”. The free play is within spec. Maybe I need to just buy a tuner and play around with other maps.

RP

I've gotten a lot of flack for posting this in the past, but if you learn how to use your clutch properly, you will not even notice the crisp throttle response.  Clutch, clutch, clutch and more clutch is how you ride a dirt bike, ie always using it!  Once you start getting the hang of using the clutch, you will learn to love the quick throttle response.  Search this topic, I hope you have all day to read all the threads on it.

Edited by Shredjim
  • Like 1