richmond

Moving Battery Location

Following a few searches, it appears moving the battery inside the airbox is not a good idea, but what do you think about this location for road use, below?

DRZ-battery.thumb.jpg.3d33a8627fecc41a6b442bee34ed2968.jpg

Your tire will nail it hard the first big'ish bump you hit . There isn't room under the fender for a battery , it all gets used by the tire with full suspension travel . I don't think your going to find a better place than where it was originally . It'll always end up either sticking out or in the way.

• Like 3

Your tire will nail it hard the first big'ish bump you hit . There isn't room under the fender for a battery , it all gets used by the tire with full suspension travel . I don't think your going to find a better place than where it was originally . It'll always end up either sticking out or in the way.

Seems like a lot of people not really experienced with dirt bikes make the mistake by putting their batteries or plates under the fender. Attached is a reference picture for those not familiar with what it looks like when you use all of the travel.
RC_868588-1.jpeg
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, richmond said:

Following a few searches, it appears moving the battery inside the airbox is not a good idea, but what do you think about this location for road use, below?

2 hours ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

Seems like a lot of people not really experienced with dirt bikes make the mistake by putting their batteries or plates under the fender.

Even on a road bike you'll probably find you use more suspension travel than you think. The image below is of my bike (taken 5 years ago now), which is sprung for my weight, and I am an amateur. That rear wheel will travel up into that fender more than you think it does when going around corners.

gj13june2013_4.jpg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ohiodrz400sm said:
13 hours ago, tjamscad said:
Most people don't use all the travel, do they?

Absolutely.

Im pretty sure Ohio is saying Absolutely YES even a street bike will use the full compression stroke.
If not, well they do 😁
A Battery in the depicted location will be a problem.

There is no good alternate location that achieves a lower center of gravity while still being even somewhat protected 
image.png.71c07eaa83bf2ec964d1f41926ad3bff.png

On a special purpose, one design use only bike build I can see a few spots i could build a case for a small Li battery. But it would be foolish to do that and then use the bike in any other manner. For instance, if a DRZ was used as a flat track racer...I can see a place to put the battery.... If someone wanted to build a DRZ specifically to run a single cylinder under 500cc, naturally aspirated at Speed week....there are places the battery could be placed, said location would not work well off road on on the street 

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback guys.  I notice a few pro custom shops have placed the battery in a similar location for DRZ400 scrambler/flat track type conversions, albeit with smaller Li batteries (although I think probably only giving a few centimetres more clearance), so it made me wonder. Pity, because I would like to get rid of the rear side fairings, but the view is not pretty with that standard battery location!

Some have made smaller LiPo batteries and shoved them in their airbox. I remember a thread where someone wanted to make it weathertight and mount it externally between the airbox and the shock. Don't remember seeing any results of that idea. Others put it on top of the airbox, where the 3x3 hole is, and cut a bit out of their seat for clearance. You'll need to drill some holes on the right side of your airbox for some more airflow.

You should be able to check your tire / battery clearance by leaning over the bike and pulling the wheel up to your chest, or by ratchet strapping it down till it bottoms out.
I'd still have a small concern about sharp road debris getting kicked up in to the battery, though the cases are tough.  A fender in between the tire and battery would make me feel better about accidental battery rupture.  If you're going to the trouble of relocating the battery, you could pick up the smallest Li battery to try it out in that location - they are a lot smaller than the stocker, and you can lay it on it's side / any orientation to get even more clearance.

The Ballistic 8 cell Gen 2's are the smallest LiFe -PO4 battery you'll get that'll spin it over , may be able to find room for one of them somewhere , still don't think it'll work under the fender without some sort of suspension stop to keep the wheel from travel fully , not ideal . Some bikes I've seen the batteries moved next to the cylinder just above the stator cover , tucked close to the motor . Need a little heat barrier to keep too much heat making its way into the battery .

The Ballistic batteries look good. It seems some are also using the 4 cell. The small size of that makes it even easier to move. I think I will mock one up to see where it could fit before buying (they are harder to get and more expensive in Europe)

I guess maybe the 4cell would work , it's kind of small sized for the DRZ but on a stock motor and warm weather it's possible . I generally rather have too much juice than not enough especially when temps get colder . By 40-45ºf you'll be hurting , they don't care for the cold and take a lot to internally heat up so they can output full power . If you do go that route make sure to get the Gen 2 not Gen 3's , I'm not so impressed with the one I have , it doesn't seem to be as powerful as the 2's ,My one XT with high comp and no decomp system turned over fine with the original Gen II-8 cell, but the new gen 3 doesn't do it as easy and takes less to run out of steam, but that's just 1 battery to go by .

Edited by jjktmrider

Not very practicle but you could break out the individual cells and put them here and there wherever they might fit.  Kind of a wiring nightmare but if you prefer looks over function it might be a good way to hide a battery.

If it’s street only. Rip out the air box coolant recovery tank and oil breather box and mount battery under seat! That’s how I did mine. I run an open air filter

18 hours ago, Crucer23 said:

If it’s street only. Rip out the air box coolant recovery tank and oil breather box and mount battery under seat! That’s how I did mine. I run an open air filter

This is a well know procedure known as  "Slowed Down for Racing"
Also known as  "How to make your bike lose coolant, spew oil and lose power in three easy steps"

Tons of info here on why those three things are not recommended, if you have read all that and don't understand it, ask, lots here are knowledgeable and happy to help.
If you read all the info as to why those are three less good ideas, but did them anyway, to each his own. Its your bike

• Like 2

Probably takes less than that even to equal any benefit . I had my panel off adding a jumper cable to my batt for winter cold starting, the area looked awfull not being covered up. 

Edited by jjktmrider