I have a few 2018/19-tx/te 300?

I am getting close to buying a new 2T bike, and next week I want to order or pick up my next 2T. Yes it will be a Husky, Beta or KTM, I am going to demo day for Husky and KTM on this Saturday and Beta demo on Sunday? I know these bikes aren't built for MPG but what are you guys here on the new Husqvarna TX/TE 250/300s getting? Also anyone here just come from having a Beta or KTM and are liking the Husky better?  I am really liking the new look of the 2019 Husky models and if I go TE I have to find an 2018 because I want to stay with a carb bike, also any votes for the TX vs TE for riding any and everything type of terrain? I'll be down in the Desert and up in Oregon tight woods and everything in between. Thanks for any info. 

I can't address all your questions, but I can at least weigh in.

I'm a C rider who is finishing strong at events now and aspires to be a B rider soon.  I'm coming from a 2013 KTM 250 XCF-W.  Have a little under 10 hours on a 2018 TX300.  Went Lectron HV carb right off the bat because I'm not knowledgeable on jetting and have a 10,000ft altitude variance in where I ride week to week.  I absolutely LOVE the TX and have some hours on both the MX track and on trails.  With just the clickers and AER fork pressure, the suspension can easily be made to work well for either.  Way more variability than the XCF-W.  Not sure how different the TE valving/suspension is from the TX.  If it's skewed more toward enduro, then maybe the TX would be better suited for the desert stuff you've mentioned?

As for MPG, the stupid things don't have odo's on them, and I haven't ridden enough known distances to gauge that.  I can tell you that just based on riding TIME, I'm planning to do a high altitude hare scramble that is a 2 hour timed race, so I'll probably race 2.25 to 2.5 hours and expect that I'll have a lot of gas left in the 2.6 gallon tank.

The power-valve adjustment also makes the character of the bike REALLY easy to tune from desert to tight trails.  Not sure how standard that is on 2 strokes and which bikes have that.

YMMV

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, smokepony said:

The power-valve adjustment also makes the character of the bike REALLY easy to tune from desert to tight trails.  Not sure how standard that is on 2 strokes and which bikes have that.

Beta and KTM both have this.

This guy below switched from Beta to Husky and he likes his Husky just a bit more I hear but glad that you're planning to do demo rides on both. Only way to know which one does what you want the best.

@Babyarmholdingapple

• Like 1

Aside from the ride I would go to a dealer and look very closely at all of them and including the YZ250x.  Look at how well the bikes are put together and components used.  I would sit on all of them and feel the ergonomics for you.  The TE uses a fork other than the TX.  Way better fork on a TX.  

Buy what you want and enjoy 

• Helpful 1

Not sure if this is any help, but my buddy has a 18 TC 250 and that thing sucks gas like crazy. Goes through a tank way faster than his old 450 or my current 350/250fs. Fun bike though, for moto and woods.

The TX is a far better bike then the TE.  Its also very easy to add an odo and a headlight to the TX. I used a trailtech Voyager GPS and a cheap ebay replica headlight on mine, works good.

The TX is always first to receive updates and changes, and the AER forks are way better. Having said that I am having an issue (along with some other members) where my AER forks have been leaking. But hopefully its an easy issue to solve. I have heard nothing but bad things about the Xplor forks.

Good call on staying carbed, I wouldn't bother with fuel injection on a two stroke just yet. If it were that perfected and good KTM and Husky would be putting it on their motocross/XC line.  It seems to be strictly a Euo emissions thing.

The MPG out of the box is absolutley awful, I almost ran out of fuel trying to do a 2 hour break in ride. I installed a Lectron HV and shaved my head down and did a ride with a 2018 500EXC-F, MPG was slightly worse but comparable. He had maybe 25% more fuel in his tank at the end of the day. I havent gotten a final range yet since I just hooked up my wheel speed sensor but Im guessing about 100kms or 60miles would be doable. It will still never be like a 4 stroke though. 

Edited by 240ZDAN
  • Like 3

Comparing between a 16 race 300 and a 18 tx 300, setup pretty close to the same the Husky is almost 20lbs lighter. Maybe that’s one reasons things seem easier on the tx. Overall both are excellent bikes. The Beta is a solid bike and gave me no problems. The tx has nicer fit and finish. Beta kinda reminds me of the 2008-2011 KTM. It also had way to much non essential race stuff like horn, brake switches and all the street legal wiring. 

Edited by Bigd450
  • Like 1

I just left beta and went to gasgas and i like the gasgas better. All of the motors are so close it's the suspension that made the difference for me.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Bigd450 said:

Here’s one little difference between a 16 race 300 and a 18 tx 300. Maybe that’s one reasons things seem easier on the tx. Overall both are excellent bikes. The Beta is a solid bike and gave me no problems. The tx has nicer fit and finish. Beta kinda reminds me of the 2008-2011 KTM. It also had way to much non essential race stuff like horn, brake switches and all the street legal wiring. 

C8821C82-725E-4101-9983-292516CFAD32.jpeg

AC7B0E9D-B552-49A4-92DF-27FA11D5931E.jpeg

18 beta lost 10 pounds from 17 model year.

my 05 ktm 300 exc is lighter than my 15 beta 300rr non race. Whatevs 

17 minutes ago, shrubitup said:

18 beta lost 10 pounds from 17 model year.

my 05 ktm 300 exc is lighter than my 15 beta 300rr non race. Whatevs 

That is true. But most of that is no kick starter and lithium battery. Also note my 16 Beta had a lithium battery. Not to get hung up on the weight there is obviously compromises by the husky like thinner components. Where as the Beta is built to last forever. The weight isn’t the reason I went to a Husky just one of the differences I noted. 

Edited by Bigd450

Thanks for the information,  Yes the weight factor is on my check list, other things I am also thinking of are the Height, which if I go Husky or KTM I will have to have lowered. Also the fuel mpg which the Beta RR reviews I could find seem like they do pretty well compared to KTM and Husky. I do have a brand new smart carb that's never been used, maybe after some hrs on the new bike I could give it a try. I am seriously giving Husky a ride and a looking over on Saturday,  that said all the videos I watch the Beta looks to really get the traction to the ground and tractor everywhere, the Husky also looks great and I am sure the counter balancer makes for a nice ride.  I don't know the bikes are so close anymore I am sure they are all good.?

• Like 2

Get a husky TX or a KTM XC.... Best forks you'll ever ride outta the box.... Plus the clutch is light.... Brakes rock.... Throw on a headlight from motominded and live happily ever after!!!???

• Like 1

Having had 2 betas 300 & 250 and now the 18 Husky 250tpi, the Husky is the better bike. If it was me I'd buy a tpi over the carb, we did 4 days on well used 300tpi in Romania, they had 150 hours on them and they ran perfect upto 2200 meters, i spoke to the mechanic and they had had zero issues with the hire bikes.in Romania the standard 300xplor forks with mousse in the front was nothing short of awful

At average speeds my front standard xplor forks don't work very well with TUbliss fitted, i fitted Dal Soggio XP-1 kit and it was very good, i also have a set of revalved AER forks and they are slightly better but i suspect with more time on them they will be nuch better. Overall I prefer the 250, but the 300 was awesome for very knarly relentless climbs we had in Romania.

9 hours ago, Retromlc said:

Having had 2 betas 300 & 250 and now the 18 Husky 250tpi, the Husky is the better bike. If it was me I'd buy a tpi over the carb, we did 4 days on well used 300tpi in Romania, they had 150 hours on them and they ran perfect upto 2200 meters, i spoke to the mechanic and they had had zero issues with the hire bikes.in Romania the standard 300xplor forks with mousse in the front was nothing short of awful

At average speeds my front standard xplor forks don't work very well with TUbliss fitted, i fitted Dal Soggio XP-1 kit and it was very good, i also have a set of revalved AER forks and they are slightly better but i suspect with more time on them they will be nuch better. Overall I prefer the 250, but the 300 was awesome for very knarly relentless climbs we had in Romania.

Are TXs available as tpi in Europe? 

I looked at the bikes you looked at.  I bought the 2019 TE 300.  At the very least the TPI will get you more money down the road when it comes to resale value.  All the extras are really nice on the Husky versus the KTM.  Plus who likes mixing?  The suspension in my opinion is better with the linkage, as my last bikes were KTM 300s, without linkage.  I wasn't thrilled with the orange frame of the KTM either.  Seems like most people are getting 50 miles before the low fuel light comes on.

Edited by Eric Wheeler

50 minutes ago, Eric Wheeler said:

I looked at the bikes you looked at.  I bought the 2019 TE 300.  At the very least the TPI will get you more money down the road when it comes to resale value.  All the extras are really nice on the Husky versus the KTM.  Plus who likes mixing?  The suspension in my opinion is better with the linkage, as my last bikes were KTM 300s, without linkage.  I wasn't thrilled with the orange frame of the KTM either.  Seems like most people are getting 50 miles before the low fuel light comes on.

I like mixing gas. White frames/plastic show dirt pretty bad. I have a linkage bike and a PDS. I don't notice a difference performance wise but I like the less maintenance PDS. JMO.

FWIW i absolutely love my 18 TX.  The suspension feels great, and ive really never heard anyone complain much about the TX's compared to the TE's. 

That is true. But most of that is no kick starter and lithium battery. Also note my 16 Beta had a lithium battery. Not to get hung up on the weight there is obviously compromises by the husky like thinner components. Where as the Beta is built to last forever. The weight isn’t the reason I went to a Husky just one of the differences I noted. 
My beta weighed 1lb less than my yz250fx. It was a good bike and great motor. I just couldn't come to terms with the handling. I'm weird that way. The weight of either one never bothered me though.
  • Like 1

Im not so sure the tpi will get you more money or not. Ì think it will if you keep a documented maintenance log. I heard you're supposed to replace the oil pump with every top end. How much are those? Ive been pondering the decision for awhile now and being i already own a fi 4 stk i think id rather have a carb 2 stk just to keep things simple. Plus if you have ever ridden one with a lectron carb, i question the need for tpi anyway.
  • Like 2