I have a few 2018/19-tx/te 300?

29 minutes ago, shrubitup said:

but the XCW and TE versions aren't race ready. :naughty:

4-600 to fix forks and they are fine. I sure don't miss mixing oil or jetting!

Having a full DC 110 watts is kinda sweet for fan, lights and still using starter too.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

The whole Carb and FI thing I think is great, as we have a choice to choose  either one, at lest at this time? I love my carb bikes and prefer a carb, By far the best running bike I have ever had was my 2014 Beta 520 perfect from low end to top end ran as smooth as grandmas sewing machine ? Also no oil or fuel pump and no crazy pressure line to the tank. We still ride far out and race in Baja, so less electronics is better in my opinion.  As for the AER fork that was a big jump for me to go to, what no oil no springs  I don't want that, but now that I have tried them I love them there GREAT I don't think there is any other fork set-up that is this light and sticks to the ground so well.  

• Helpful 1

1 hour ago, motocrotts said:
20 hours ago, Hans Schmid said:
If you are gonna buy a 2t KTM or HUSKY, buy the TPI version... 

Why?

From day 1 I have never witnessed a 17+ KTM/Husky 250/300 2t run consistently proper from day to day. I'll put a $1000 up on that statement. More so without some sort of extensive work done. So with all the time spent changing carbs, milling the head, cutting the airbox, etc, it seems easier to just buy a TPI unit and live quite happy with a bike that runs near perfect right out of the box...

But, each to their own...

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

From day 1 I have never witnessed a 17+ KTM/Husky 250/300 2t run consistently proper from day to day. I'll put a $1000 up on that statement. More so without some sort of extensive work done. So with all the time spent changing carbs, milling the head, cutting the airbox, etc, it seems easier to just buy a TPI unit and live quite happy with a bike that runs near perfect right out of the box...
Kinda like Imho?
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, motocrotts said:
11 minutes ago, Hans Schmid said:

Read more  

Kinda like Imho?

Show me one that can handle the same amount of variation as the previous gen, or that of a YZ and my tune could be changed... But as of a today, nope and never... 

• Confused 1

31 minutes ago, Hans Schmid said:

Show me one that can handle the same amount of variation as the previous gen, or that of a YZ and my tune could be changed... But as of a today, nope and never... 

Some stuff is finicky I guess. I'm just accustomed to 80's and 90's bikes riding at 5K ft up to 9K ft in 1 day.  Carb's have always been fine for me. A 1mile '16 TE300 for $7500 oTD is tempting me. $9K+ is alot to me for something not street legal.

12 minutes ago, Distrophe said:

Some stuff is finicky I guess. I'm just accustomed to 80's and 90's bikes riding at 5K ft up to 9K ft in 1 day.  Carb's have always been fine for me. A 1mile '16 TE300 for $7500 oTD is tempting me. $9K+ is alot to me for something not street legal.

That's a 16, which has a different carb and different motor... The 17s are a whole different story... 

• Confused 2

My carb'd '17 KTM 300 XCW runs perfectly all the time. Granted, I ride mostly in PA and WV, not out west where there are 6000 foot elevation changes. I get a hair more than 50 miles per gallon riding mostly tight technical trails. YMMV

Sorry, my dialed 18 tx300 runs better than my buds 19 tpi. The caveat is that we don't change major elevation, so I'll give you that.

18 minutes ago, pat22043 said:

My carb'd '17 KTM 300 XCW runs perfectly all the time. Granted, I ride mostly in PA and WV, not out west where there are 6000 foot elevation changes. I get a hair more than 50 miles per gallon riding mostly tight technical trails. YMMV

Just now, pomoco said:

Sorry, my dialed 18 tx300 runs better than my buds 19 tpi. The caveat is that we don't change major elevation, so I'll give you that.

As long as you stay consistent, they always seem to run great. But when the temperature needle moves a few degrees, the elevation changes, or when you start to ride in different ranges of the powerband, the bike's need to be constantly adjusted... 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

As long as you stay consistent, they always seem to run great. But when the temperature needle moves a few degrees, the elevation changes, or when you start to ride in different ranges of the powerband, the bike's need to be constantly adjusted... 
On a cool morning the carbed bike will come out from under you when you hit the throttle ?
  • Like 1

Electric fuel pumps on dirt bikes are another problem. My 2016 450sxf broke down out in the national forest due to a faulty fuel pump. This summer in Arizona two 2013 ktms I was riding with lost fuel pumps. Most guys that ride in desolate areas prefer the simplicity of carbs

• Like 4

Other than rider error, every time I've been towed or towed someone else, it was a fuel injection issue

• Like 1

On 10/11/2018 at 6:54 PM, rocky4by said:

Thanks for the information,  Yes the weight factor is on my check list, other things I am also thinking of are the Height, which if I go Husky or KTM I will have to have l?

Friend bought the gas gas because it was lower.  He never warmed up to ktm susp and went yamaha.  Gas gas came back lower and kayaba so going that route now.

MPG?  I can go 90 and not hit resv in the mountain goat trails. Then run out at 58 in a 60mi race. 2.5gal,  Just sayin,  if you do that 2.5 hr race throw a can on the gas truck.

Electric fuel pumps on dirt bikes are another problem. My 2016 450sxf broke down out in the national forest due to a faulty fuel pump. This summer in Arizona two 2013 ktms I was riding with lost fuel pumps. Most guys that ride in desolate areas prefer the simplicity of carbs

I have personally bought 3 new fuel injected Husqvarna dirt bikes and ridden them hard for over 10,000 miles. Never had any problems of any kind. This is a small sample but is not just talk. I mostly run ethanol free fuel, but sometimes pump gas. Today I changed out the original fuel filter on my 2016 501 with 7000 miles/ 144 hours. The filter is far from clogged but you can easily see the black particulate matter it has trapped. The tiny in-line filter is clean. If you choose to run pump gas then I suggest that you change out these filters at 1 year/ 3000 miles to prevent problems. It takes about an hour or less. The guys I know who have had fuel supply issues with FI don’t service the filters, run pump gas, and let the crappy fuel sit in the tank all winter. Carbs get clogged up the same way unless you run the float bowl dry before storage. I think there is a learning curve with any new technology. Most cars and trucks don’t sit all winter, so they get run more often and the fuel doesn’t have many months to sit and deteriorate chemically. Boat owners are familiar with these issues for the same reasons. IMG_8402.JPG
  • Like 2

ohhh god. this forum is hilarious.

Hans, got any experience with that? hahah. ever own a tpi? did it have a rekluse? I didnt think so. 

You guys are all need to quit yapping on this forum and realize everyone has an opinion, and your energy is wasted arguing with other members on an online forum which is quite sad.

Why arent you all planning your next ride or your next mod to your bike? who cares if tpi is better, maybe it is, maybe lectron is better,  maybe stock bike is better, this forum is getting dry.

our ancestors have been riding two stroke carbs for ages. if all of a sudden you quiver when you see a carb on a two stroke, you might need to rethink your hobby. 

as long as someone is on a bike and tearing up a trail or track who cares? why all the stupid arguments or negativity? thats not what a forum is about. I think yall need to ride some 80s 2 strokes to put your vaginas back into place. 

This forum makes me want to buy a beater CR or YZ and just enjoy riding. Starting to realize how defensive, stuck up and SPOILED some dirt bikers are.

Edited by 240ZDAN
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Hans Schmid said:

? this guy has too much money, go spend that $1000 on a massage, you need it man ?

Edited by 240ZDAN

My post was meant to educate and inform others trying to decide which form of fueling to purchase. Nothing more.
I have been riding 2 stroke motorcycles since 1960 and am fairly familiar with the technical aspects of 2 stroke technical development. Have also owned several different 2 stroke automobiles over the years. Fuel injection or carburetor? Buy what you want. Some folks like to make an educated choice.

• Like 2