G-Berm

entered first enduro. how many miles on stock tank 300RR?

Entering my first enduro this weekend in NJ on my week old 2019 300RR.  Wondering how many miles I should be able to go on the stock tank.

Thanks!

Typically about 35-40 (depending on terrain and your right wrist), but as a wise man once told me regarding enduros ... "Never pass gas". If there is a gas truck available, make sure you have a can on it, or get somebody to haul gas for you.

• Like 2

35-40 miles?  for a stock 2.5 gallon tank, let's see....16mpg. that's disappointing  

• Like 1

Wow.  Either enduro riding is a lot different than trail riding or the stock Keihin carb is a lot more piggish with fuel than I remember.

I recently rode the mountain single-track profile below on my 2016 Xtrainer 300 fitted with a Lectron carb and only consumed 1.2 gallons of premix in 56 miles.  And I'm easily 240 lbs. fully geared up, plus another 13 lbs. or so for my chainsaw and carrier plate.

41880610.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, G-Berm said:

Entering my first enduro this weekend in NJ on my week old 2019 300RR.  Wondering how many miles I should be able to go on the stock tank.

Thanks!

You are partially the guinea pig too with a brand new Beta . Everyone is looking at newest Beta to see whats up.   Should be same as all older 2 stroke enduro Beta but you have the newest. Might be different?? Idk. Maybe not too. Typically in the past guys adjust the float level and the gas mileage is greatly improved.   Mine did.  I didn’t add a big tank after adjusting but maybe you might add one . 2 strokes just suck more gas than 4 strokes. Congrats on the new bike!! 

Guess its put gas every time you can and notice gas consumption level. Bikes only a week old. It’s setup time and learning your bike. 

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

40 should be easy if you lowered your floats, enduro's are awesome to get a new bike dialed, you can make adjustments each check.   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, G-Berm said:

35-40 miles?  for a stock 2.5 gallon tank, let's see....16mpg. that's disappointing  

roughly 16mpg.  Can someone else confirm this? I may have to carry (and hurry up and purchase) a fuel cannister.

44 minutes ago, G-Berm said:

roughly 16mpg.  Can someone else confirm this? I may have to carry (and hurry up and purchase) a fuel cannister.

G-Berm. I’m assuming you’re doing Scrub Pine. I would ask the club how the gas stops are organized and for the mileages between them, but typically ECEA rules state you can’t go more than 40 miles I think between gas stops. Just make sure you have a can on the gas truck (sometimes you need two cans if there’s two different gas stops at different locations). I wouldn’t stress about it, you definitely don’t need to carry fuel on you. Outside of that, ride safe have fun and don’t give up. It’s addicitng when you finish one. The Beta will serve you well I’m sure. 

• Like 2

35 is pushing it for 2.5 tank on my 250 in a harescramble at aroung 600 to 1000 ft. These are 2 strokes and they like to stay hydrated. Lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

He did say he was racing 😎

Of course, your mileage will depend on how hard you twist it. If you ride a gear high, flow every corner, yada yada ...

• Like 2

Wet sand in south NJ, your gonna burn fuel! You will be fine, just gas at the truck. And make sure your jetted rich enough if it cools off.

• Like 1

I don't ride your enduro's but if I were you I'd make sure I had fuel at every check that I could. Listen to the above never ever pass up a chance to top your bike up, racing you will use way more fuel than a trail rider. 

MM 

• Like 1

Adjust float; here's the easy way. May go up to 20 MPG this way. I am BIG load on motor so I vary between 15-20 miles per gallon pretty much in first gear up to but never past half throttle.

• Like 1

I was getting 60km (37 mi) Before hitting reserve with the untouched carby on the 2019 300rr.

After setting float and changing the Needle to a NEDW clip 2 I now get 90Km (55 mi) Before hitting reserve.
I am still using Beta's recommended Jets for my Altitude, I may go down a size on the main jet as the suzuki needle is Pretty fat once on the taper.

• Like 1

Thank you to everyone. This is a great family. You have talked me off the ledge.

I will run the bike on Sunday in stock trim and report back.

I will definitely fill at every available fuel stop. Thanks

The ECEA states in their rule book that fuel stops at least every 50 miles. So it might be close because I’m still not sure about the fuel stops plan for Sunday’s race.

• Like 2

I should have specified I run rich jetting, low gearing, lots of clutch slipping, charge-brake-charge style, and in high rpms, thus lower mileage. And my float is set properly for no leakage on side stand or transporting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, G-Berm said:

Thank you to everyone. This is a great family. You have talked me off the ledge.

The ECEA states in their rule book that fuel stops at least every 50 miles. So it might be close because I’m still not sure about the fuel stops plan for Sunday’s race.

I guarantee it will be closer than 50 miles.  Almost always 35-45, and that's ground miles, not course miles.  Don't sweat it, the bikes are so much more refined than the '99 - '00 KTM300s we rode those races with back in the day, that would barely go 40, and we never got stuck.  I only ran out one time on a GG250 I had that was a modified gas hog and that was only a mile from the finish.  Assuming your a C rider and not pinning a 300 corner to corner in the sand between the pine trees its a non issue.   Fuel and hydrate your body enough, bike is fine.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, G-Berm said:

I took a look at the confirmation sheet for Scrub Pine and did some math for you. Looks like they’re running it in an out and back loop format with 2 loops leaving from the campsite. Gas is back at the camp after the first loop. Ground miles from start to gas stop is roughly 43 miles. If you’re not on there, lots of information can be found on the ECEA Event Promotion forum. Here’s the link to the post with the rider info and confirmation sheet. 

http://www.ecea.org/boards/index.php?/topic/31154-scrub-pine-confirmation-rider-info/

Edited by BoogieMan84
  • Like 1