92RM92DR

92 DR350 Dirt to Street Wiring Help!

Hi all,

I am in the process of converting a dirt model 1992 DR350 to be street legal. I am doing the wiring myself without the help of a kit. (Please excuse the noob-ness, I am no electrician!)

Plan: Add battery. Run power to the battery for charging, run all lights etc from the battery.

Problem: From what I've read, I cannot use the stock dirt model Regulator/rectifier for this. I also cannot pick up a used street model reg/rec because there are a different amount of wires coming off the stator (?)

Main Question: Can I keep the dirt model stock reg/rec to run a lead to keep the battery charged and subsequently run all my lights etc? If no, can someone please point me to the reg/rec that I should be using for this scenario?? (all the places I’ve called are of no help at all!)

Additional Info:

-I am not using any LEDs. All incandescent bulbs.

-Already purchased headlight, dash unit, flasher relay from a parted-out street model DR.

-Already purchased after-market flashers, brake switches, hand switch controller, battery, horn.

-I copied a diagram I saw on another forum and modified it to apply to my situation (I left out the dash unit, although I need wires going to it for the hi/lo indicator and ignition)

Any help/advice is appreciated, even unrelated to the reg/rec question. I'm losing my mind trying to tackle this :bonk::bonk::bonk:

image2.jpg

you should post what state your in.

here in Texas, we only need headlight, taillight, brakelight & horn.

i plated my 94 DR350 a few years ago only adding a brakelight & switch to the stock lighting system.

what your trying to add will require a dual sport stator, regulator, and wiring harness

28 minutes ago, plugeye said:

you should post what state your in.

here in Texas, we only need headlight, taillight, brakelight & horn.

i plated my 94 DR350 a few years ago only adding a brakelight & switch to the stock lighting system.

what your trying to add will require a dual sport stator, regulator, and wiring harness

PA. Need hi/lo beams, horn, and i personally want signals anyway. But I don’t think they’re required.  

I’m going to make my own wiring harness for all the additions, but I want to leave everything like cdi wiring as-is on the bike. That’s why i wanted to take a lead off the stator to charge a battery which will power all my additions separately from the rest of the electricals on the bike.  

I just don’t know if i can do that with the existing stock regulator..

apparently the stator puts out at 90w from what i’ve read. If that helps any. 

the dirt stator barely has enough juice to push the low wattage HL & TL.

when you hit the brakes, the headlight dims. now i'm using a stock headlight & LED tail/ brake light, HL no longer dims with brakelight on

10 hours ago, plugeye said:

the dirt stator barely has enough juice to push the low wattage HL & TL.

when you hit the brakes, the headlight dims. now i'm using a stock headlight & LED tail/ brake light, HL no longer dims with brakelight on

Do you run only off of the stator or do you have a battery?

7 minutes ago, plugeye said:

just the stock stator & regulator.  no battery.

Gotcha. Yeah I figured that would be the case if I just tried to use the power from the stator, thus why I wanted to add the battery so it could help carry the load. I just need to figure out how to keep the d*** thing charged without cooking it at high RPM.

18 minutes ago, 92RM92DR said:

Gotcha. Yeah I figured that would be the case if I just tried to use the power from the stator, thus why I wanted to add the battery so it could help carry the load. I just need to figure out how to keep the d*** thing charged without cooking it at high RPM.

the parts you have will not work. you need a rectifier to convert the AC to DC for the battery to operate and charge.

but i doubt the stator will be able to provide for anything more than the stock lighting

I converted my 1990 DR350 dirt model to street here in Maine where we need *everything* (high/low, blinkers, independent front/rear brake lights, horn).

I added a battery and used a Trail Tech Regulator/Rectifier with the stock dirt stator.  It actually did okay but quickly decided to upgrade to a DR350S stator and VRR to get some extra juice for my Vapor speedo & charger.

I still have the Trail Tech VRR in basically new condition I could probably sell ya. I might also have a good DR350S stator & VRR off a 1990 DR350S parts bike I'm disassembling now. Was going to keep it as a spare for my other S model but might put it up for sale. They're getting hard to come by I didn't see any on eBay last I looked...

Its been a while since I did the conversion but I think there are some other cheap VRRs you can use with the dirt stator instead of the Trail Tech.

• Like 1