mboyer

Oil box repair...Will it work?

Dumb ass me forgot to fasten the bolt that holds the oil box..and it melted. I didn't want to wait for the new one to come and I had some sheet metal so here it is! The two holes are for rivets...flat as possible. I'm going to use regular silicone, its service temp is 350°F.

I'm going to hold off sealing and finishing because I'm hoping there's a better product to seal it with. If this leaks it smokes bad and could possibly catch on fire..under my right leg!

I did search, not extensively, looking for fixes and didn't find a single one. Probably my bad research methods...

I'm thinking maybe make one for the new box just so I don't melt it again!

And fyi...I did completely clean and flush the inside of the box and the filter element.

If this is a completely horrible idea please let me know!

Thank you,

Love my DR Z!!!20181011_213043.jpeg20181011_214253.jpeg20181011_214304.jpeg20181011_215715.jpeg20181011_215733.jpeg20181011_225056.jpeg

Damn..last time I posted had to use Dropbox or something...way easier now

Just spent time searching...there are so many names for this thing holy crap, and i still can't find anything other than questions and replies like "this topic has been covered so many times" and "search" etc... a few with links to other posts that go nowhere. We need a good database admin to assist in search protocol or something?

Use an oil safe/resistant RTV silicone (usually black in color) found at any automotive store.

18 minutes ago, Stuwy123 said:

Use an oil safe/resistant RTV silicone (usually black in color) found at any automotive store.

I found it didn't stick. I tried three times, cleaning up with acetone and re - RTVing the box, still it only lasted a few hundred KM's .  I wound up printing a new one.

It can be found here:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2933433

2 hours ago, mboyer said:

Just spent time searching...there are so many names for this thing holy crap, and i still can't find anything other than questions and replies like "this topic has been covered so many times" and "search" etc... a few with links to other posts that go nowhere. We need a good database admin to assist in search protocol or something?

• Like 1

I was wondering about that..I hit it with an air grinder then scrubbed it with laundry detergent. Expecting silicone to stick to plastic with all the heat and oil..
That's awesome you have a 3D printer! When I was in engineering school in the 90s they called it stereolithography and it was pricey!

Good job! Better than my job-i just used spare plastic which i hot-welded on not leaking yet but yours is a better idea
Thank you! I like working on it as much as riding. Good to see this forum is still kind.

Looks more like an improvement than just a temp fix - I would use epoxy rather than silicone and keep it like that

• Like 2

1 hour ago, antonyp said:

Looks more like an improvement than just a temp fix - I would use epoxy rather than silicone and keep it like that emoji16.png

Agreed. Marine waterproof epoxy or plastic-steel should do it. I "repaired" a leaking gas tank with marine epoxy. I thought it was temporary, but it outlasted the bike.

• Like 1

When I bought my bike I found there was a hole melted in the air box, I found a scrap piece of plastic which was a funnel off a used fire extinguisher, I used a heat gun to soften it and flattened it out, laid it over the hole and heated it till it bonded with the plastic air box, worked a treat, I wonder if it might work for you too

Agreed. Marine waterproof epoxy or plastic-steel should do it. I "repaired" a leaking gas tank with marine epoxy. I thought it was temporary, but it outlasted the bike.
Seems to be working. No leaks yet. Added two rivets to the only spots that overlapped enough. If it starts to leak I'll update20181012_104438.jpeg

Seems to be working. No leaks yet. Added two rivets to the only spots that overlapped enough. If it starts to leak I'll update20181012_104438.jpeg.b5777326e0a3e6d7fa2d6651103647db.jpeg
Since it was clean from scrubbing with detergent I actually plugged two ports and blew into the third, pretty hard, I couldn't push any air past the patch. At least if I forget to attach it again out won't melt through the metal patch!