nailit69

New to me ‘04 WR450FS

Just picked up a new to me bike from a friend at work. She’s been sitting for two years and is covered in cobwebs, a little rough around the edges but it’s all there and just needs a little tlc.

He is the original owner and said it only has 3000+/- miles on it and it ran when he parked it. Came with a new larger capacity tank and shrouds, 100w Ricky Stator, misc. spare parts, service records, and a shop manual, all for the low low price of $750.

Im not familiar with the newer Yamaha’s but used to have a ‘89 YZ250 which I loved.

Any good or bad info on these bikes would be greatly appreciated... TIA.

6E871A1E-5E6C-465F-B34B-DC4CF6074B1F.jpeg

that seems like a good deal, if it's in decent shape

I'm wary of any bike with a paddle, though

at a minimum you'll want to go through the carb, change fluids. fork seals are likely to need replacement. 

is the airbox bolted onto the subframe? the gap between it and the seat isn't right. 

Ya, not a fan of anything that’s been in the sand either. He took it to the dunes once and it left him stranded so he parked it after that.

I’m gonna tear it down and go over it with a fine tooth comb, rebuild the suspension,  replace the exhaust, fix the broken bits and make a woods weapon.

Im currently trail riding a XR600 and it’s a great bike but at 300+lbs, it really kicks my ass sometimes when things go wrong so I’m hoping that a lighter bike with electric start will make the nasty stuff a little easier to handle.

If you’ve ever had to kickstart one of these beasts halfway up a gnarly trail you’ll know what I mean.

Edited by nailit69

Same year as mine.i love this bike. All free mods have been done,yz muffler,yz exhaust cam ,and this thing rips! Has standard gearing 14 /50 and can be lifted up in all gears,sitting down,no clutching it up.

I've owned an 04 for over 10 yrs now, fast as most w/ white bro exhaust, excellent history, recommend replacing the plastic compression release plug in head just above exhaust as they are prone to be blown out, replace w/ metal. Single track suggest 14 on front sprocket. regrease everything, only fix req'd, water pump seal, fuel pump diaphragm eaten up via corn gas additives, tie acc pump linkage to fix bog, add fork socks, reroute engine vent line to top of motor w/mini filter, split dble air vent lines from carb; one of each to airbox, You got it at a great price.

I've owned an 04 for over 10 yrs now, fast as most w/ white bro exhaust, excellent history, recommend replacing the plastic compression release plug in head just above exhaust as they are prone to be blown out, replace w/ metal. Single track suggest 14 on front sprocket. regrease everything, only fix req'd, water pump seal, fuel pump diaphragm eaten up via corn gas additives, tie acc pump linkage to fix bog, add fork socks, reroute engine vent line to top of motor w/mini filter, split dble air vent lines from carb; one of each to airbox, You got it at a great price.
I will add that the engine plug is usually available on ebay for around 15 bucks, the good ones have a chamfered slot that the bolt in the side of the engine fits into and hence holds the plug in place.

Also, if you're prone to tipping the bike over a lot or leaning it more that 45 degrees, you can loop the float bowl overflow line up above the bowl and then back down. Saves a bunch of spilled gas.

I’ve been stupid busy at work and with the holidays and am just now getting a chance to get this thing running again.

I took the rear subframe off and disassembled the airbox and cleaned everything really good in the dishwasher (worked extremely well). I got it back together and ready to install. I also ordered a bunch of new fasteners and hardware along with some other stuff.

I need to get the carb off and rebuild it... the float bowl was full of bad gas and all the fuel lines are hard and brittle and since I’ve got a new tank and petcock I’m replacing all the lines as well.

I still need to get that stupid paddle tire off... makes it a PITA to move around the shop.

More to come this weekend!

91324C8E-2419-4314-AABC-B1EAC825E2C8.jpeg

0F7201F0-04CE-4000-AA83-2E1A8D8F30F7.jpeg

95CC094E-591D-4515-8904-AF80793CDE1B.jpeg

• Like 1

The motor is pretty bullet proof.  One of the issues of the sand if the filter wasn't properly oiled and fitted.  The bike is not the best in the sand in the first place, but that is another topic.  I would check your forks and shock.  From the pictures it appears you may have some seal issues. A new chain and sprocket are in order.  My 04 has over 20K on it and I just recently did a top end for the first time.

Ya, the seals are shot... after I’m happy with how it runs, I’ll have the suspension rebuilt.

The air filter was oiled well and sealed up tight, so hopefully nothing made it past. 

I’ll probably take the bike (or at least the carb) to the shop in the next week or two for a rebuild and see if I can get it running.

I’ve Jerry-rigged some shit on the trail before but damn! This is the previous owners (name withheld... lol) permanent fix... funny thing is it actually works quite well

9AB3A312-A8E0-4023-95A0-6193E443FD61.jpeg

Edited by nailit69
  • Haha 1

I’ll definitely look into that mod and upgrade. I’m taking the carb in sometime this week for a rebuild.

On another note... I’m going to install a Trail Tech Vapor and am unclear on which hose I install the temperature sensor in... upper or lower? Logic (and length of cable) say it goes in the upper hose.

Edited by nailit69

I’ll definitely look into that mod and upgrade. I’m taking the carb in sometime this week for a rebuild.
On another note... I’m going to install a Trail Tech Vapor and am unclear on which hose I install the temperature sensor in... upper or lower? Logic (and length of cable) say it goes in the upper hose.

Upper, you want to know the temp of the coolant exiting the engine. Gives you a better idea of how hot the engine is running.

I’ve been picking away at it here and there on the weekend and after work and I think she’s ready to start.

I got the carb back from the shop last week and put all new fuel and vent lines on the carb and tank and I had to finish the install of the TrailTech Vapor wiring... got it wrapped up this morning. I still need to change that rear tire but other than that, it’s ready to run.

8DC74550-108F-48E9-B0A1-DE1F359A7816.jpeg

5D5D5CCC-9373-44B2-80F0-90682F78B90F.jpeg

F2CC9C19-D49F-4B7E-9A38-289FCE74C1F5.jpeg

619E18F6-29F6-4204-9677-00B2E859C87E.jpeg