We seem SO close now...

I am a leisure trail rider.  I currently ride a proper enduro bike (Beta 450RR) but I don't enter enduros.  I do ride quite hard sometimes, with a nice mixture of French single track, rocky trails, muddy stuff and hill-climbs.  But generally I just need the bike to cover a 100-120km day, mostly at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle.  The standard tank range on my Beta is sufficient for 99% of my days out on the bike.

However, I have also had a career in environmental policy making, I understand and worry about global climate change, and I very much want to maintain my trail riding hobby while also giving up fossil fuels.

With the advances in battery tech and with great bikes like the Alta coming along, I am now getting very itchy to make the change.  The range does concern me.  It looks like a hard off-road ride on the Alta EXR will last about 2 hours before battery expiry.  I need it to last 4 hours running time really.

How close are we to getting to that range?  Not an ideal world estimate; I mean a realistic real-world figure.  I wonder if anyone from Alta takes a look on this forum and might be able to answer that? 

• Confused 1

They can go flat in 20 minutes on heavy throttle situations

I think with your riding you won't even go for one hour ,let alone 2

Just picked up an Alta myself.  Most fun I've EVER had on two wheels (and I've been riding for 20+ years).

Plan on getting 25-30 miles of hard riding in Mode 3.

• Like 1

On 10/21/2018 at 9:54 AM, blbills said:

Just picked up an Alta myself.  Most fun I've EVER had on two wheels (and I've been riding for 20+ years).

Plan on getting 25-30 miles of hard riding in Mode 3.

Just curious, what kind of ride time does that equate too. ???? Really looking forward to this e-bike thing.

Fossil fuels power this earth. Batteries are worse. Ride your dirtbike and enjoy it.

Oilfield proud.

• Like 5

I

On 11/18/2018 at 8:27 PM, joey330 said:

Fossil fuels power this earth. Batteries are worse. Ride your dirtbike and enjoy it.

Oilfield proud.

Ive heard this kind of reply when H-D Shovelheads were fased out for the blockhead motors, when 4 strokes were taking over for the 2 strokes. Been riding 50 years now and still makes me laugh. Yes, hard to beat a gas motored dirt bike, but the vision is on the horizon.

• Like 2

On 10/12/2018 at 8:58 AM, daveuprite said:

I am a leisure trail rider.  I currently ride a proper enduro bike (Beta 450RR) but I don't enter enduros.  I do ride quite hard sometimes, with a nice mixture of French single track, rocky trails, muddy stuff and hill-climbs.  But generally I just need the bike to cover a 100-120km day, mostly at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle.  The standard tank range on my Beta is sufficient for 99% of my days out on the bike.

However, I have also had a career in environmental policy making, I understand and worry about global climate change, and I very much want to maintain my trail riding hobby while also giving up fossil fuels.

With the advances in battery tech and with great bikes like the Alta coming along, I am now getting very itchy to make the change.  The range does concern me.  It looks like a hard off-road ride on the Alta EXR will last about 2 hours before battery expiry.  I need it to last 4 hours running time really.

How close are we to getting to that range?  Not an ideal world estimate; I mean a realistic real-world figure.  I wonder if anyone from Alta takes a look on this forum and might be able to answer that? 

As long as you realize just how "hostile" the procedure to create those batteries is, I guess it's ok. But, you'll find, that the typical IC engine pollutes less, during it's life, than the hazardous pollution generated during the creation/transportation of the battery. 

• Like 2
  • Helpful 2

On 1/1/2019 at 6:48 PM, NORTY said:

As long as you realize just how "hostile" the procedure to create those batteries is, I guess it's ok. But, you'll find, that the typical IC engine pollutes less, during it's life, than the hazardous pollution generated during the creation/transportation of the battery. 

Does that hold true for todays new age batteries ???

On 1/2/2019 at 6:12 PM, cman60 said:

Does that hold true for todays new age batteries ???

If the lithium mine uses arsenic to extract the lithium from the Earth, then yup. 

If people rest cared for the environment you just stop buying crap , but then the whole world industry would collapse

Making new stuff to replace old stuff is actually crazy , they say the fashion industry is the 2nd biggest cause of pollution

• Like 1

25-30 mile range sucks, that is half a Sunday ride for the guys I ride with.  I would love an electric bike, but the range must double, and the "buy in" cost must be more realistic.  I am patient though, I have a few good riding years left in me!

• Like 1

so I guess 2 wrongs make a right. I guess we'll see. Just a little less footprint can't be bad.

Posted (edited)

They have batteries that, for several years  now, in the radio controlled field, that can be charged at 12c. That means less than 10 min to charge and a 48 volt 100ah battery would need 1200 amps for max charge. Thats over 60kw. And over 80 amps at 240 volts because your charger is like 90% efficient. So, after you buy a 3k dollar balancing charger capaible of providing reasonable recharge times and install a 200amp service to your home, your good to go. Now, where does that power come from? Seeing as how coal, natural gas and oil make up OVER 75% of the USA power production, with nuclear providing the next 10%, maybe you'd have been better off staying with the 2 stroke you started with?

Edited by morrison250r
  • Like 1

On 10/12/2018 at 11:58 AM, daveuprite said:

I'll ride a 2 stroke until oil and gas isn't produced no more also I try to keep my MAGA stickers on my bike clean. 

• Like 3

They have batteries that, for several years  now, in the radio controlled field, that can be charged at 12c. That means less than 10 min to charge and a 48 volt 100ah battery would need 1200 amps for max charge. Thats over 60kw. And over 80 amps at 240 volts because your charger is like 90% efficient. So, after you buy a 3k dollar balancing charger capaible of providing reasonable recharge times and install a 200amp service to your home, your good to go. Now, where does that power come from? Seeing as how coal, natural gas and oil make up OVER 75% of the USA power production, with nuclear providing the next 10%, maybe you'd have been better off staying with the 2 stroke you started with?
Except for some areas. I live within spitting distance of at least 4 hydro electric dams, wind farms and many folks install their own solar system that can charge the bike. But yeah, still waiting for prices and performance of electric bikes to compete with gas bikes here...

It can't happen soon enough. I ride hard and am not that good of a rider. That equates to lots of bike damage. That means lots of money, and to a much more annoying degree, time spent repairing things. And I absolutely hate tuning. Think of the thousands of posts on here just dealing with a few jetting circuits in our carbs on the 2T's. It's ridiculous. All that goes away on an electric bike. Plus infinite ways to map them.

As soon as the mileage doubles I'm 100% sold on them. Lighter would be nice but that doesn't matter as much.

I truly feel if you ride hard and have the bike for more than 2 years you will make up the cost in parts if the bike is $2k-$3k more than an ICE bike. The amount I spend on parts is ridiculous. 80% of parts cost would be gone with an E Moto.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Ew83 said:

It can't happen soon enough. I ride hard and am not that good of a rider. That equates to lots of bike damage. That means lots of money, and to a much more annoying degree, time spent repairing things. And I absolutely hate tuning. Think of the thousands of posts on here just dealing with a few jetting circuits in our carbs on the 2T's. It's ridiculous. All that goes away on an electric bike. Plus infinite ways to map them.

As soon as the mileage doubles I'm 100% sold on them. Lighter would be nice but that doesn't matter as much.

I truly feel if you ride hard and have the bike for more than 2 years you will make up the cost in parts if the bike is $2k-$3k more than an ICE bike. The amount I spend on parts is ridiculous. 80% of parts cost would be gone with an E Moto.

At last, some common sense, instead of this crap-shit insane climate change denial nonsense.  Thanks for your response Ew83.

Electric bikes are vitally necessary and totally inevitable.  Fossil fuel powered bikes are dying, like some of the species that died to produce the fuel, many millions of years ago.  Bury your polluting head in the sand if you want, but nothing will change the fact that in 10-15 years nobody will be selling brand new petrol-powered bikes.

So get with the program.  It's just a matter of finding the power/charge/range formula that works for your needs.  And the stats change every year, as the tech improves at breakneck pace.

For me personally, it's just the wait (definitely less than 3 years now I think) for 110km range, 110kg weight, and a 35-50bhp equivalence - and I am a buyer.  Then sit back and enjoy the massive advantages.  A bike running on renewable energy with zero tail-pipe emissions, instant 100% torque, gear-free power delivery (like rekluse++) and enormously fewer maintenance bills/hours.

Bring it on...

• Like 2