Just now, Piney Woods said:

Very excellent thread, both builds very impressive! :thumbsup::thumbsup: One more thing, what is a "winter"?

Piney

Unlike Texas, up here in Northern Indiana and Michigan (since I travel and ride there a lot), we have this brief period of time where jetting has to be changed and the "nuts" become frozen! This can sometimes be offset by installing studs in the tires and wearing 4 pairs of long johns, most of us wusses tend to hibernate and work on motorcycles and watch YouTube videos.  Mostly YouTube videos!!! Oh and a metric $h!T load of BEER!

• Haha 1

Thank you for sharing. The more pictures and details you are willing to give us, the better! I have a couple spare 230 engines and have been looking for a spare bike to do more experimenting on.
I'm very thankful for the wealth of knowledge, experience, and willingness to share on this forum so that I and the rest of us can enjoy and put together our personal combination of mods that we know have been proven to work.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mx4god said:

Thank you for sharing. The more pictures and details you are willing to give us, the better! I have a couple spare 230 engines and have been looking for a spare bike to do more experimenting on.
I'm very thankful for the wealth of knowledge, experience, and willingness to share on this forum so that I and the rest of us can enjoy and put together our personal combination of mods that we know have been proven to work.

That's what I love about TT, so many ideas, opinions, and thoughts! BTW, what kinda crazy plans you got for those 230 engines? 

6 minutes ago, hondahondo said:

That's what I love about TT, so many ideas, opinions, and thoughts! BTW, what kinda crazy plans you got for those 230 engines? 

Yep, it's one of the best forums I've ever been on. I sent my crank and head out months ago for a 6mm stroker and full porting with an oversize intake valve, along with a special grind cam and 12+:1 compression. I wanted to go with a 69mm piston/sleeve, but I think there needs to be 4+ orders for that to happen (I'd maybe consider getting 2 if there are other people interested). Just a simple build for trail riding...

Then the other engine I'll probably just go with the 67mm athena piston cylinder kit and possibly a torque cam. Something cheap and simple for a backup engine or secondary bike. Looking forward to watching your build progress.

Piney Woods, I am in south Louisiana so I don’t know what ‘winter’ means either. This is the time I look forward to riding without the fear of heat stroke. I learned several years ago to have more than one bike so I am always ready to ride. Actually summer time is project time for me since it’s too hot to ride.  This was the best weekend yet, still 90 degrees but low humidity. Haha.

1 minute ago, jeffrow68 said:

Piney Woods, I am in south Louisiana so I don’t know what ‘winter’ means either. This is the time I look forward to riding without the fear of heat stroke. I learned several years ago to have more than one bike so I am always ready to ride. Actually summer time is project time for me since it’s too hot to ride.  This was the best weekend yet, still 90 degrees but low humidity. Haha.

We had white stuff falling here this morning...

12 hours ago, hondahondo said:

Piney

Unlike Texas, up here in Northern Indiana and Michigan (since I travel and ride there a lot), we have this brief period of time where jetting has to be changed and the "nuts" become frozen! This can sometimes be offset by installing studs in the tires and wearing 4 pairs of long johns, most of us wusses tend to hibernate and work on motorcycles and watch YouTube videos.  Mostly YouTube videos!!! Oh and a metric $h!T load of BEER!

Funny, up here, we have a brief period of time when is actually warm. 

Welcome to Michigan, 9 months of winter and 3 months of bad ice fishing weather. 

Great build by the way, love watching the fabrication threads. :thumbsup:

On 10/13/2018 at 8:50 PM, hondahondo said:

Today's progress, I painted the frame for test and finish fabrication purposes. Once the bike is tested, it will be powder coated. Rolling chassis is almost complete. Since the swingarm is the stock CRF230F upside down, it was necessary to move the chain guide mount, fabricate a brake stay for the KTM brake caliper, and drill some new mounting holes for the swingarm protector.

IMG_0898.JPG

If Harry hadn't defeated him, I'd think Lord Voldemort was hiding in your weld :thinking:20181015_083433.jpg.bf6d07e852756b058c04aacb4ad8ffbd.jpg

• Like 1

Interesting build hondahondo. Looks good, interested to hear the ride critique when it's done. 

11 hours ago, mx4god said:

One of those 230 engines would sure do great in my XR200R :thinking: 😁 wanna sell one? 😏

On 10/15/2018 at 9:46 AM, Daniel627 said:

If Harry hadn't defeated him, I'd think Lord Voldemort was hiding in your weld :thinking:20181015_083433.jpg.bf6d07e852756b058c04aacb4ad8ffbd.jpg

Or, Did Harry defeat him? HAHA! I noticed the face like image as well, but only in the photo. With a 15 degree angle change, it actually resembles Phil Collins!!!!!

Sorry guys, I've been in Birmingham all week. The only thing I've done tonight is replace the plastic idle set screw with an aluminum one. This took about an hour of lathe work.

comp.jpg

idle screw.jpg

• Like 1

Here's the progress this weekend. Keep in mind, I took the day off to enjoy watching the Ironman enduro with my daughter. The carb is just mocked up right now as I am still working on the intake. I was fairly happy with the exhaust mounting, but had to make several adjustments (and drink a lot of beer) to make it the way I wanted.  The engine was completed with 6mm more stroke and an Athena big bore kit, and a nice little Web Cam ST1 profile. 

Next week I need to sort out the sprocket alignment issues and the cable routing. I've got some critical stuff coming dangerously close to the header, and I don't feel warm and fuzzy on this. 

hjy.jpg

cfr.jpg

dcf.jpg

• Like 3

Progress report. The project is moving along. Today I finished the intake system, machined manifold flange, silicone tube from the airbox to the carb. Set the preliminary jetting to a 35 plot, 140 main, 3.5 slide. we will see what changes need to be made later. now on to the sprocket alignment. The rear hub is much narrower than the stock CRF230, so I will be machining four bushings to make the offset. I've toyed with the idea of making a laser alignment tool for accuracy, probably better than the eyeball method. Any ideas from you guys are welcomed. 

As a side note as I have been building this bike,  I have sourced a few parts from China, Austria, Australia, USA, and the local hardware store. I just received an aluminum gas cap that I ordered from eBay a month ago. After getting it I decided not to use it. When I weighed it, it weighed twice of the OEM part. I decided that since I have never been stranded by a failed gas cap, that the additional weight would give me no benefits. But it is a cool anodized blue aluminum cap...... if anyone wants it.

IMG_1161[1].JPG

IMG_1162[1].JPG

IMG_1163[1].JPG

IMG_1164[1].JPG

• Like 1

Oh here's a little sidebar tool I made. I bought a cheap 2 dollar tape measure (with metric) and glued a magnet to the back, I think the magnet was one from a previous Trailtech kit. This was made to my sag scale.

CXAY1755[1].JPG

• Like 1

On 11/3/2018 at 10:22 PM, hondahondo said:

...now on to the sprocket alignment. The rear hub is much narrower than the stock CRF230, so I will be machining four bushings to make the offset. I've toyed with the idea of making a laser alignment tool for accuracy, probably better than the eyeball method. Any ideas from you guys are welcomed. 

My son used to race karts on dirt ovals, chain alignment is pretty crucial on the tiny chains we used. Google "Kart chain alignment tool" and you'll have all kinds of ideas.

I've machined a few over the years of different designs. Never trusted the laser units completely. Easier to use the rod type because you know the error is minimal since you machined it. When you buy a laser tool, you have to trust the laser isn't skewed. Probably easy to confirm with a few tests, but it wasn't something I felt we needed since the mechanical method worked well. 

• Like 1