Bike stolen =-(

On 10/13/2018 at 3:49 AM, Repp said:

I just want to rant.

I am sad to say my 2006 450 EXC was stolen from my Atlanta apartment complex Thursday at 6:09 PM. RIP. The bike was behind a locked gate without the key in the ignition and sitting in front of a highly trafficked doorway to my apartment hallway. The guy found my ignition switch, hot-wired it, and took off in only 7 minutes. I was pissed beyond words yesterday but now just sad and bitter. I am 33 years old and have never had anything stolen from me in my life until I came to this shit hole city Atlanta Ga. In just the last 4 months I have had my Lincoln 255 MIG welder stolen from my locked enclosed trailer, my Trek bike stolen from the bike rack ( locked with 10mm cable) 50 feet away from my classroom door, and now my motorcycle parked behind a locked gate only accessible by residence in my unit in BROAD DAYLIGHT! Holy $%^&. I would give anything to catch one of these bottom feeding leeches of society in the act because I can promise,  one of us is going to die. 1 more semester in this hell hole and after I graduate, I am NEVER driving, flying, stepping, saying the word Atlanta, or even looking in the general direction of this city again. I wouldn't take a job here if they paid me $300,000 a year to do whatever I want. It's not worth it.

When I came here 2 years ago I was just a regular happy Joe-blow from a farm. I was astounded at the number of homeless, mentally ill, and just overall poverty I see here on a daily basis. I would eat somewhere and just buy an extra burger to give to someone on my way to school when they ask me for money. I even volunteered and helped my roommate with his fraternity feeding the homeless every other Saturday. I get asked for money at least once a day from these people and I felt terrible that they were living in this condition. I don't care if their situations are self-inflicted or whatever, I just don't like to see desperate people in bad shape and down to only meeting primal needs. I don't believe in giving money to churches or charities. Both frequently abuse the non-profit and tax-exempt system leaving me with doubt if my money ever reaches the cause. And to top it off, they make you feel guilty for not giving. No thx, I will just do it myself one burger, one water at a time. 

After my stuff started getting stolen, I noticed a new found love in just keeping to myself. I quit buying extra food to give away, I quit the Saturday homeless food drives, and pretty much just avoided anyone not related to my school work. Even my driving changed. I quit letting people turn out in front of me, blowing my horn when I think the person in front of me should have gone 14.5 times, give one blinker and cut in a lane if I needed to get over. Horrible!....   Atlanta made me a cold-hearted emo. This is not me, get me out of here! The best thing that can happen to this city is dropping a nuke over it and starting over. 

O and don't forget the Riots. As if traffic was not moving like peanut butter before, people will just stand in the middle of the road and block traffic screaming and chanting what sounds like 5,000 alarm clocks going off while a choir of donkey sing. Try that tactic in Ellaville Ga. and let me know how many 33-12.50  patterns you can collect on your forehead.   

Is it like this in other big cities? I ask because job opportunities are becoming available in other cities and all I can think about is Heeeell naaw. All my life I wondered what it's like beyond the fields and woods. I have now collected sufficient data to say "I came, I saw, who convinced me this was a good idea?"

Ok, I'm done. I feel better

carry on 

This is every big city bud. 

2 hours ago, Repp said:

Yes, I can make it street legal. I am going to get it plated in South Dakota. It's a loophole to get offroad bikes road legal. True dirt bikes only come with a MCO (manufacture certificate of origin) and no Title. South Dakota accepts this and will register it even to out of state people. They will send you a title in the mail with a plate. So when I get the plate, all I have to do is follow Ga law and have a headlight and brake light (horn not sure but easy enough). Since Mx bikes don't have a battery and low output stators, I will be adding a lithium battery for my auxiliary lights. I am going to set it up where I can switch my lights to battery only if stator cannot handle the load. I don't ride far and don't really enjoy long rides so a battery that I can charge will be fine for my application.  I might even get one of the electrical geniuses here to help me rewind the stator for more output. I understand the theory behind it but I'm still unsure about exactly how to do it.  I never ride on the roads at night so headlight is pretty much worthless to me besides just having it to be legal. All I need is my brake light so people don't plow into me. I will do a "mx to street legal" thread in the Kawasaki section. I'm kind of sad to leave the KTM section. The guys here are great, and very mature (9/10 times). I like when I can come talk or debate something without idiots saying: stfu, do it like this, everybody does it like this, why are you messing the bike up, why don't you buy another bike to do xyz , it's not designed to do that, and many more. I quit pirate4x4 and steelsoldiers for the above reasons and just lost interest with wanting to communicate on the forums. I hope to be back here soon with a KTM. There are no fuel injected 500exc in my area under 9k. 

You can get a plate through SD, with that said, it will still be considered an off road vehicle. ATL cops can still pull you over and ticket you or impound you. There is a thread on here somewhere that will give you a lot more info on it.

1 hour ago, Tahoe Gator said:

Hmmm. So I could plate my YZ here? I don’t really need to ride it on the street, but if I could, it could be a backup for errands when my son turns 16 and borrows the car ?

@joey330 From what I have heard and read, you are 1/2 correct. If I fill out the paperwork, get the tag, and go riding without the headlight, brake light, etc then yes, I will get a ticket. You can get it inspected once headlight, brake light, etc has been installed. Also, need insurance. The police officer fills out a form saying you have converted it to street use by following all the ga law rules. It's the same route dune bugs (sand rails), custom built motorcycles, and other stuff that's built in a garage get legal.

I have heard people getting an &%$#@! cop that won't sign it so they just come back the next day and get another officer.

Edited by Repp

32 minutes ago, Repp said:

@joey330 From what I have heard and read, you are 1/2 correct. If I fill out the paperwork, get the tag, and go riding without the headlight, brake light, etc then yes, I will get a ticket. You can get it inspected once headlight, brake light, etc has been installed. Also, need insurance. The police officer fills out a form saying you have converted it to street use by following all the ga law rules. It's the same route dune bugs (sand rails), custom built motorcycles, and other stuff that's built in a garage get legal.

I have heard people getting an &%$#@! cop that won't sign it so they just come back the next day and get another officer.

I mean, there are a lot of different opinions and experiences. I am with you though! Go for it and if it doesn't work out, it was like 60 bucks spent and you still have the damn tag to use in the event you're crossing streets etc..

I'm also going to need the person who stole my bike to come back and get the service manual. It's due for a valve check soon. I also have extra parts that I didn't have the privilege of giving you. 

• Like 2

I was cleaning my air filter and was reminded of something I always do on my bikes: write “stolen from ” somewhere that a mechanic or buyer might find, along with my email and phone number.

On my mountain bikes, it goes on masking tape on the fork steerer tube. Maybe on my YZ there is somewhere better than under the seat on the tank if a thief cleans the air filter himself, but figuring some sell them right away, I thought I’d share the idea.

No, it won’t prevent a theft, but for 10 seconds of time with a sharpie, maybe you slightly increase chances of recovery.

IMG_0266.JPG

• Like 3

On marking things, I usually engrave my DL #, "TX 1301XXXX", somewhere on the frame of MTBs (under bottom bracket), tools, etc....less often on VINed vehicles that police can trace from their stolen property data base. I think most thieves will attempt, and succeed at removing ID markings they notice, so I try to choose a location they police would find, but not necessarily dummies that keep stolen toys to play with. Remember, the cops aren't going to take a machine apart to look for ID markings-the markings must be visible from the outside. Having pics for the report file wouldn't hurt, either. I've had the same craftsman engraver for over 25 years, similar to this Dremel model. $20 well spent: https://www.amazon.com/Dremel-290-05-120-Volt-Industrial-Engraver/dp/B000VZIGA0?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_1

Anyone ever heard of a dealer or shop keeping a stolen vehicle data base? These days, it seems some may not want to get involved...

Edited by phm14
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I talked to the detective Friday and was told “we are still working on it”. I asked why they didn’t go seize the car since it was used in a felony. Detective told me “it’s not that easy, the car people and my stolen bike guy may not know each other”..... ???...I’m not a cop but I don’t understand how any judge would not issue a seize warrant based on the evidence I provided.

I talked to the detective Friday and was told “we are still working on it”. I asked why they didn’t go seize the car since it was used in a felony. Detective told me “it’s not that easy, the car people and my stolen bike guy may not know each other”..... ???...I’m not a cop but I don’t understand how any judge would not issue a seize warrant based on the evidence I provided.
Give them the benefit of doubt.
Since I live in a small town. When someone gets caught on security cameras. It gets posted on Facebook. "Hey do you know who this is" and usually someone recognizes them. Our Sheriff's department even does this. Doubt it would help in a populated area. But worth a try?
  • Like 1