650R Supermoto Cush or no Cush

I’m getting ready to start doing a dual sport conversion on my 2000 650R and eventually put SM wheels on her. Is the Cush drive setup worth it or just go solid hub?

Cush drive will make for a smoother ride and prolong the life of sprockets and chains. But It’s really to each their own.

If you don't chug it and idling it while moving in gear , it's really not a problem.

• Like 1

A regularly ridden passenger bike YES! x10!
But a track ridden SM? Not a fan. I lose my connection to the track. Where as on city streets I'd rather be disconnected from cracks and potholes on a thumper.

I just bought a set of supermoto wheels for my xrl. if I had to do it again I would spring for the cush drive.I ride mine primarily on the street. check out moto-x for wheels. those guys did me right.

I have a motoxindustries conversion as well but no cush hub. If your going to be squirting around the streets I wouldn't worry about a cush hub or ever for that matter. Even if your going to race it I'd spend that money towards a slipper clutch or get really good at your clutch work lol. In the end I dont find myself wishing or wanting a cush hub, been riding it for over a year with the solid hub. Now you get to think about gearing :)

20170623_152633.jpg

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Vanillagurilla said:

I have a motoxindustries conversion as well but no cush hub. If your going to be squirting around the streets I wouldn't worry about a cush hub or ever for that matter. Even if your going to race it I'd spend that money towards a slipper clutch or get really good at your clutch work lol. In the end I dont find myself wishing or wanting a cush hub, been riding it for over a year with the solid hub. Now you get to think about gearing :)

20170623_152633.jpg

I just bought a set of used excel wheels no cush drive. Nice bike . Don't want to hijack the thread but what gearing did you end up going with and how many links for the chain? 

6 minutes ago, turn8a said:

I just bought a set of used excel wheels no cush drive. Nice bike . Don't want to hijack the thread but what gearing did you end up going with and how many links for the chain? 

Not sure on the links, never counted them, just bought an extra chain and cut it to fit. On the dirt set I run 15/51 and on the sumo wheels its 15/42. Top speed on the dirt is about 90mph, on the sumo I'm not sure but I shift into 5th at about 80mph on GPS if that helps you. Cruising at 80mph the rpms are still safe but 65-70 is very comfortable. Some go with a 40 rear but that's a bit much unless you plan on running highway for 100s of miles, 42-46 is where I would suggest. I probly should have gone 46 since my commute is only a few miles but I have a 14t front of I want to change that.

8 minutes ago, Vanillagurilla said:

Not sure on the links, never counted them, just bought an extra chain and cut it to fit. On the dirt set I run 15/51 and on the sumo wheels its 15/42. Top speed on the dirt is about 90mph, on the sumo I'm not sure but I shift into 5th at about 80mph on GPS if that helps you. Cruising at 80mph the rpms are still safe but 65-70 is very comfortable. Some go with a 40 rear but that's a bit much unless you plan on running highway for 100s of miles, 42-46 is where I would suggest. I probly should have gone 46 since my commute is only a few miles but I have a 14t front of I want to change that.

thanks for the info. I have  the 15/48 on the stock rims . The excel rims came with the 45 rear sprocket.Not going to race will do most of my riding on the back roads no highway.

Vanillagurilla that’s a beautiful bike you have there I can’t wait to get the sumo setup but I’m in the paperwork process to make her street legal first.

10 minutes ago, 2013SM said:

Vanillagurilla that’s a beautiful bike you have there I can’t wait to get the sumo setup but I’m in the paperwork process to make her street legal first.

Looks good from far lol shes always dirty, plastics are a bit scratched up and the damn sticker is peeling off the tank. When you guys get you sumo wheels pay very close attention to the rear chain guide on the swing arm, one of the lower bolts on mine touched the wheel and I didnt see it and now I have a nice pin stripe from the first ride around the block.

Will do. Mine is all mix matched right now. The tank is black and the rest is stock but I want to fab up a tailight/tag bracket before I change to all black.

vanillagurilla could you please measure the length of your kick stand .It looks like your bike leans the perfect amount. thanks again. 2013sm sorry for the hijack good luck with your setup!

It’s all good I might want that info later on myself

• Helpful 1