Yz250f set up for heavy rider

I just bought a new 2018 yz250f and it scoots me around the track just fine, as have all my 250s, but I can’t hit any of the jumps because if I case them or over jump them, my suspension bottoms out. Can’t afford to have my suspension done professionally and I am familiar with servicing suspension so what stiffness of springs would you guys recommend for a 6’2 240lb rider? I don’t want to mess with the valving on the forks but if I have to I will.

Springs correct ?

I just bought a new 2018 yz250f and it scoots me around the track just fine, as have all my 250s, but I can’t hit any of the jumps because if I case them or over jump them, my suspension bottoms out. Can’t afford to have my suspension done professionally and I am familiar with servicing suspension so what stiffness of springs would you guys recommend for a 6’2 240lb rider? I don’t want to mess with the valving on the forks but if I have to I will.

You can call Factory Connection, give them your height/weight amd bike info and they will tell what fork springs and shock spring they recommend. People also go to racetech.com and you can plug in your info in there spring calculator. As far as swapping them out it’s pretty easy with YouTube. Good luck.

The Race Tech calculator shows the stock fork/shock springs to be .47 kg/mm and 5.5 kg/mm,

by plugging in some general infos (MX riding, intermediate skills) into their calculator, it suggest the stock rates are suited for a 165-180lbs rider.

For a 240lbs rider, the suggested springs are now .50 kg/mm and 6.6 kg/mm

I'm thinking at a minimum the shock will require stiffening of the rebound valving to control the much stiffer spring.

Edited by mlatour