Motor swap do able or is it just a dumb dream

Hey guys I'm thinking bout doin a swap with my yz,s I've got an old Frankenstein bike that was once a four stroke bike and someone married in an old yz free air motor then it soon poped and I seen a rebuild motor online so I bough it and fit it into the frame it worked ok but vibrated a bit so anyway the motor is I fact a 1999 yz250 I also own a 1999 yz125 , the 125 needs a top end now and I started thinking what a crazy project this would be so I am now to the point that I think it will work except the frt motor mounts need to be relocated a bit higher on the frame which wouldnt be a problem but I thought maybe asking if anyones don't it successfully before digging into it to far would be kinda neat to put the 99250 motor in the 99 125 or is this a unrealistic project

If it is anything like the kx125/kx250 of the same era then the 250 engine will not fit in the frame because the engine cradle is different and swoops up earlier on the 125

Well without cutting the frt mounts so far it looks like if I cut them then retrofit the motor and weld them back I place a touch higher but maybe I'm wrong anyone else able to chime in thanx a lot guys I love this site

Like kxrob alluded to, the frame rails underneath the engine curve upwards differently between the YZ125 & 250. Do a Yahoo search for images of the different bikes and look at side views. No way for a 250 motor to fit in a 125 frame without cutting and welding key structural members.

Edited by CaptDan
withOUT

Well not to say your wrong at all but I have the motor nearly sitting in the cradle it just needs to slide over a wee bit and down it just seems like the 2 frt motor mounts if they were relocated it would work but however I will prob take ur advice and not attempt it ,would be an awesome project though would be one of a kind

• Like 1