Picked up a 2018 300tx, some questions on jetting and setup

Bought it new Last week but the dealer put about a gallon of gas with yamalube at 32:1 and told me to run that mixture during breakin but the manual just says to run 60:1 so I'm thinking about dumping the gas from the dealer. I've heard the mikuni carb is hard to jet so any help would be great. I'm in southern california, typically ride  3-6k ft. Also I have a kehin 36 from an older 300 laying around, would it be better to run that carb? 

I ordered a shock spring, skid plate and I plan on modding the air box but I'm not sure if I should wait until after I get a good break in ride on it. I need to get a spark arrestor, some bar clamp risers, and probably some lower pegs, I had the brp sub mount rubber mounted clamps on my yz and fastway evos in low boy position and those seemed to work pretty well but I'm open to trying something else. Is there anything else I should pick up or keep an eye on? Thanks for the help

Bought it new Last week but the dealer put about a gallon of gas with yamalube at 32:1 and told me to run that mixture during breakin but the manual just says to run 60:1 so I'm thinking about dumping the gas from the dealer. I've heard the mikuni carb is hard to jet so any help would be great. I'm in southern california, typically ride  3-6k ft. Also I have a kehin 36 from an older 300 laying around, would it be better to run that carb? 
I ordered a shock spring, skid plate and I plan on modding the air box but I'm not sure if I should wait until after I get a good break in ride on it. I need to get a spark arrestor, some bar clamp risers, and probably some lower pegs, I had the brp sub mount rubber mounted clamps on my yz and fastway evos in low boy position and those seemed to work pretty well but I'm open to trying something else. Is there anything else I should pick up or keep an eye on? Thanks for the help
Stock carb works fine.... Just pick up the JD jet kit.... adjust to float height and you'll be great..
  • Like 5

I picked up a Used 17 recently and did similar stuff to it. Coming from a 13 TE 300 Husaberg the bar risers were actually too much. I have the fastway lowboy pegs too and I'm 6'4. Just saying try it out without the bar risers first as I found them higher then most bikes.

24 minutes ago, Onzalimey said:

I picked up a Used 17 recently and did similar stuff to it. Coming from a 13 TE 300 Husaberg the bar risers were actually too much. I have the fastway lowboy pegs too and I'm 6'4. Just saying try it out without the bar risers first as I found them higher then most bikes.

Yeah I put RC high on my TX300 from day one and I am thinking of going to a lower rise. Here is a comparison to ktm 350exc with stock bars and 1" risers.IMG_20180819_141511.jpg.bfb59b12dc73531db8676472d8d70f64.jpgYou can see the headtube is much higher and triple clamps are much higher then the ktm. 

Edited by 240ZDAN

Oh ya,,,,, don't mod the air box.... Makes no difference

When you put the JD kit on the bike place this as well.
The bike will now run as you would expect it too.  

1968880461_ScreenShot2018-10-15at6_18_05PM.png.badc73875bfa75072cdcefb9cc9607ee.png
It won't hurt at all to run the 32:1 mixture. Extra oil is good for bearings. Then mix your desired oil end ratio and let it RIP.

That's about how my Husaberg to my TX looked for bar height. They looks similar now with the Husaberg having 1" risers and TX stock.

1 hour ago, Onzalimey said:

That's about how my Husaberg to my TX looked for bar height. They looks similar now with the Husaberg having 1" risers and TX stock.

im 6 5 so i need all the help i can get. The taller bars are awesome but i may try some that are just a tad lower to see if i like. i also have fastway pegs. wicked bike for a taller rider for sure.

I'm 6'4 so usually have the same problem but I put the fastway pegs on the bike in the low position then moved the bar clamps into the more forward position then just rolled the bars forward a touch and I think it'll be perfect. Also been reading up lots how using bar risers change the geometry of the bike for the worse so more then happy to be able to not use them and still feel comfortable. 

2 hours ago, Onzalimey said:

I'm 6'4 so usually have the same problem but I put the fastway pegs on the bike in the low position then moved the bar clamps into the more forward position then just rolled the bars forward a touch and I think it'll be perfect. Also been reading up lots how using bar risers change the geometry of the bike for the worse so more then happy to be able to not use them and still feel comfortable. 

Yeah I was going to run the stock bars but they seemed sooo flat. no rise. also a tad wide for the woods I ride. I had the rc high so figure id give them a try. 

If you do run a different oil ratio remember to put bigger jets in the carb otherwise it will run lean as there's so much oil

18 hours ago, sandking11 said:

If you do run a different oil ratio remember to put bigger jets in the carb otherwise it will run lean as there's so much oil

Yes. Do this. I agree with running more oil too. No need for jd kit imo. This can works well. 

19 hours ago, strokemetwice said:

Yes. Do this. I agree with running more oil too. No need for jd kit imo. This can works well. 

Yep, I have ridden my bike at sea level in SoCal and at up to 8k feet here in Colorado. I run 60:1 bel Ray 2stroke lube, and have the power valve adjustment set flush at the cylinder stock air/fuel and jetting have not been changed. I am running a FMF Fatty pipe and 2.1 powercore spark/silencer. 

All in all, the only thing I have done is put protection, suspension adjustments/tune, a lamp and RC hi bars, and the bike has been fantastic all-round.