My new bike bubble has burst

So I got my 150 last year as I rode 4 strokes for over 10years. Got bored of them in time and hated how hard they were to sell ,no one wants a 50 hr 250f . I loved 2 strokes and decided a 125 is too hard work ,a 150 is ideal

Bought it ,loved it ,tuned it , had tons of fun ,only done 28 hours , thought maybe a 19 150 would be nice ( not needed)

Talk to 2 local dealers , both good guys ,both say my bike to trade on has lost half its value ,new prices have gone up a good amount in Oct

Oversupply on used and high new prices mean I would have to pay $4000 on top of my 18 to get a 19

Who can do that ,I can afford to ,but you don't keep your money by burning it in that kind of fashion [emoji25]

We can blame Brexit ,we can blame KTM , but it won't actually help

Car running costs have gone up but not as much , you need a car ,you don't need to have a new Mx bike , I will keep the 18 ( I know I am so hard done to ) for another year and take a bigger hit to go to a 20

It makes me worry about where this is going

In my area it seems KTMs always held value much better than the Japanese bikes. Maybe there's enough used ones out there now to shift that?

Also, it's fall. Again, at least here, a lot less buyers and prices are much lower than when they get jacked up in the spring time. Is your "half" value selling it outright or trading in?

In my opinion buying a new bike each year is the best way to lose the most money.

• Like 6

You could sell it outright for much more, correct? If you really want a new bike, then post it up for sale privately and you'll get more / spend less for the '19.

I'm at the point where I am going to hang onto my bikes for a few years and get my use out of them. Getting a new one each year doesn't really do anything except lighten my bank account. My '14 YZ250F is still awesome and my 350 is still like new (a year old). I'm going to run them for another 2 years or so, then worry about getting a new one. At some point, the used bikes level off and then by that point, you have got your use out of it / money's worth. Just my opinion.

• Like 2

I could get more selling private for sure , I won't sell from home ,so always take it to a local shop and they take a commission ( more than reasonable )

It's not that I am saying I can't do it differently,just that the years of trading a bike against new are pretty much gone ,in 07 I bought a rmz 250 for £3600 in 2019 a sx 150 cost £6899 and it depreciates way worse than the 07 did ,that hardly lost any money in comparison

You could still pay almost £1700 for it today (50% depreciation after 11 years )

If you had a fast rider who needed 2 bikes the costs go mental

I consider myself financially good ,if I won't do this few can ?

I get what you mean. But I think for those of us who have been riding / racing for a while now, we have been conditioned to think that we need a new bike every year. And that is partially because it was fairly easy to do, years back. But now it is not. But all that means is that it makes sense to buy the right bike in the first place and hang onto it and get your use out of it. It's really not a big deal. I know guys that are way faster than me that are racing and winning on bikes that aren't brand new. Actually 1 of our senior A riders, who goes to Lorettas every year, just smashed his class a couple weekends ago on his 2011 KX450. Unless someone is helping you pay for a new bike every year, it's somewhat silly to do it. I have other hobbies and priorities that the market just doesn't allow for a new bike every year like it once did. And I have no problem with it. 

• Like 3

It takes time and money to set up a new bike to one’s liking. So many details and so much time is spent getting the bike “right.” To start this process over again each year would not only burn money, but ride time. Plus, there’s always the chance you don’t like the new bike as well as the one you dialed in last year. All this is almost as difficult as breaking in a new girlfriend/wife. In both cases, it probably is far more rewarding to stick with something known to work well.

• Like 4
  • Helpful 1
  • Haha 1

I know this ah665 lol

But if I did as I rode more ,then it would be even worse as it would lose even more value

28 hrs Mog???
That's pathetic.
Probably half on the Dyno testing?
Manup and go ride!
Yes a bad year ,it went to 34oC for most of the summer ,I just don't ride in that
  • Like 2

dealers, last I checked, were in business to make money...you know, pay rent, salaries, cost of the stuff they sell, and have some profit left over to justify the capital the owners put into starting the business, buying property and equipment, and so on...retail can be a tough business to be in,
especially with folks like many of us buying so much stuff over the Internet

why would they want your used bike that they could probably make hardly a penny selling taking up shop floor space and luring a possible new bike purchaser buying a new bike at a better margin deciding to get a used bike instead? They consider it only to make money on the bike they sell you, but asking a dealer to provide a good trade in is like bringing that toothbrush your dentist gave you back and asking for a discount on your next teeth cleaning.

• Like 3

Dirt bikes are depreciating assets, don't invest in them.  Just like cars only worse.  When you buy a bike every year, that's basically what you are doing.  If you're not racing actively and at the top classes I don't think there is a point.  Enjoy your '18, 2T top ends are cheap.  28 hours does not sound much to me....that's like 9 rides in my world.

• Like 3

We need to think less of my situation and think of the situation as a whole

If you buy a 2 stroke or 4 and it loses 50% of its value in 27 hours , it's a setup that's not going to continue for very long imo ?

I understand dealers need to make profit ,I understand economics

I understand if the average man on the street stops buying bikes and those same dealers are looking for jobs .

I don't have the answer ,but high initial price should help hold prices higher for year old models , it's a worst case scenario where the initial price is high ,the resale is way low

• Like 1

The answer is bikes cost like 10grand, so be realistic and buy the right bike up front. Keep it and set it up to your liking. Mod as you go. Then sell once it is beat or you can justify the purchase of a new bike. Like I said, I know A-riders who run a bike for a few years and do just fine. A very small percentage of the riding/racing population can realistically justify a new bike every year. It's just that it always was that way before, so now it seems like it still should be. But those days are gone. Keep the bike unless you are getting paid to ride or if someone is buying them for you. 

• Like 3

No wonder moggy thinks you need to throw cranks at bikes every hundred hours, that's 4 years of riding for him! :moon:
My rings were way past the wear limit at 12 hours , things don't last that long on a highly strung 150

But this has nothing to do with the conversation
  • Haha 2

I picked up a 15 fc450 for 4 grand, an 18 is not going to make me any faster. I know guys who can blow through that in a weekend at the auto x course :excuseme:

I've bought a few new bikes but in my area there are plenty of tricked out used bikes ridden by old guys who think they ride hard but really don't... Had a buddy find a new model crf with carbon fiber talons for 5k, barely ridden! Prolly has like 28 hours lol. 

Opportunities galore!

• Like 5