My new bike bubble has burst

1 minute ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

Interesting.  It’s more 30’s and up here with the more emphasis on and up. I guess it’s depending on your local economy. 

I think you're on to something... as soon as I turned 30 I was shopping for a new bike within a month. Science?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TheTyLife said:

I think you're on to something... as soon as I turned 30 I was shopping for a new bike within a month. Science?

:excuseme: timing? I bought a new bike in 2009 and 2015. I didn’t have a new bike since 83’ before that.  You’re ready when you’re ready. :ride:

Edited by hawaiidirtrider
  • Like 1

This is exactly right and why I hate nostalgia. The dirtbike segment is a small and shrinking piece of the overall powersports industry in USA.
Plenty of high priced ATVs and SxSs are being sold. The industry is on the upswing in many parts too,  dirtbikes just don't happen to be all that popular here anymore.
[mention=45328]mog[/mention] not sure if this is true where you are but do 4 wheelers out sell bikes?
We don't have 4 wheelers here as we don't have any real land to ride on ,I can only ride at organised practice tracks

KTM here was left with over stock in 18 ,towards the middle of the season they dropped the price 20% !!! This killed the resale value of the 18s

So in 19 they decide to up the price over the 18 price ( before the discount ) by 10%

So a 19 worst case is 30% more than a new 18 , and the resale of the 18 is now worse than it would be with normal market forces

This info I forgot to include previously
  • Like 1

Interesting.  It’s more 30’s and up here with the more emphasis on and up. I guess it’s depending on your local economy. There is the element of some older guys having a little more money than a young guy and the thought that it’s buy the bike while you still can ride ...because it may be that it’s the last dance. In 2001 my wife told me to buy this almost new 01 cr 250 because she said I may get too old to ride. Ive had a couple of heart attacks since.. just dodging those bullets. 

Heart attacks and still riding. Good for you. You ride with a beacon?

In 2001 my wife told me to buy this almost new 01 cr 250 because she said I may get too old to ride.

Lucky guy! Those are hard to find. And far more expensive to replace than any dirt bike.
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, mog said:

We don't have 4 wheelers here as we don't have any real land to ride on ,I can only ride at organised practice tracks

KTM here was left with over stock in 18 ,towards the middle of the season they dropped the price 20% !!! This killed the resale value of the 18s

So in 19 they decide to up the price over the 18 price ( before the discount ) by 10%

So a 19 worst case is 30% more than a new 18 , and the resale of the 18 is now worse than it would be with normal market forces

New model. Happens all the time, as mentioned previously.

Edited by ah665

52 minutes ago, motrock93b said:

Lucky guy! Those are hard to find. And far more expensive to replace than any dirt bike.

It’s luck alright. You never really know what you have until you are in certain situations. That part worked out

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tahoe Gator said:

Heart attacks and still riding. Good for you. You ride with a beacon?

I guess I should... Drs gave me ok to excercise without limitations. I have 4 stents and still ride and race but changed my speed and riding style. I don’t ride over my head. I carry nitro . 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

I guess I should... Drs gave me ok to excercise without limitations. I have 4 stents and still ride and race but changed my speed and riding style. I don’t ride over my head. I carry nitro . 

How nice is your bike? And can I tag along??:devil:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MANIAC998 said:

How nice is your bike? And can I tag along??:devil:

Hey Mitch stop jumping in. I have first dibs on a ride with HDR!!! :smirk::ride:

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, mog said:

so basically the whole point of this thread is that new bikes cost more then old bikes?  damn i feel enlightened.

here in UT you can get a 2018 rmz for  about 6500, but a new one is around 9k. about a 30% difference in price...  you sound dumb complaining about the trade in value of a bike, you always get raked on trade ins, sell privately if you want top dollar.

I sound dumb ? You clearly have not got the point of what I am saying , so one of us is dumb

15 minutes ago, mog said:

I sound dumb ? You clearly have not got the point of what I am saying , so one of us is dumb

Well if looking at what you are saying, what are your remedies to address the motorcycle market that you see as viable?

Well it would be good to know how much profit KTM makes on each bike ,to make an informed decision ?

Last time I looked KTM made a big profit going up 10% year on year , this is excellent

They seemed to have overstocked in 18 and possibly in 19 ,leading to price cutting ( buyers lose faith in list prices ) and hits resale prices ,this is not imo good business and annoys owners

So if KTM profits could stand it I would say stop hiking prices to only drop them soon after ?

Does that seem a reasonable idea with the facts we have?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, mog said:

Well it would be good to know how much profit KTM makes on each bike ,to make an informed decision ?

Last time I looked KTM made a big profit going up 10% year on year , this is excellent

They seemed to have overstocked in 18 and possibly in 19 ,leading to price cutting ( buyers lose faith in list prices ) and hits resale prices ,this is not imo good business and annoys owners

So if KTM profits could stand it I would say stop hiking prices to only drop them soon after ?

Does that seem a reasonable idea with the facts we have?

Why do you need to know onlyKtm’s profit margin? or how much ktm makes? 

So your new bike bubble has burst? You are getting more unclear...

Looked into it further ,not much discount could be applied

Of they were to reduce every bike sold by the same amount it would be 600 euros and that would wipe out any profits to 0

Scary stuff ,maybe they need to pay herlings less lol

Interesting exercise