My new bike bubble has burst

1 hour ago, mog said:

I know this ah665 lol

But if I did as I rode more ,then it would be even worse as it would lose even more value

Yes a bad year ,it went to 34oC for most of the summer ,I just don't ride in that

Come-on man! I'm just studding up to go ride in Sub-Zero temps.

34°C??? Bah. You don't even have to dodge Grizzlies, moose, wolves, wild horses, cougars.

Really disappointed in your level of commitment!

😀

IMG_20181015_110131.jpg

• Like 5

Tell that to dealers trying to sell 19s

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, mog said:

you don't need to have a new Mx bike , I will keep the 18 ( I know I am so hard done to ) for another year and take a bigger hit to go to a 20

why don't you wait the year and get the 19 then for $4K less than a 20, if you think the 19s are that much better than the 18?  If you really want a new bike, you've just found out that the premium for one is $4K.  Which says, you burn $4K value out of a bike in the first 30 hours. If people didn't feel that was true, the older ones would hold their value.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mog said:

My rings were way past the wear limit at 12 hours , things don't last that long on a highly strung 150

But this has nothing to do with the conversation

Wow-  that is maybe 3 rides!    But of course I dont’ Know if you are racing or trail riding.  Quite a bit different.  I just replaced the piston/rings on my OSSA after almost 400 hours.  Piston visually appeared perfect, the ring end gap was overly large, so certainly due for a replacement.  But that is NOT racing and lots of slow speed and even idling.

I understood the 150 had a reasonable mid/low. But perhaps a different model?  (Do you have an SX, XC or XCW?)

• Like 1

Makes me love my 99 yz400f even more now considering it still dusts anything that gets near it and never had a problem at all with it other than replacing the junk slant fcr for a newer yz450f carburetor which made it run like something crazy, and the stator went bad so 45 bucks to replace that. Other than that iv never had a problem out of it and never even had to reshim the valves at all. A new bike every year to me sounds like a golfer trying to buy a game by buying that latest 500 dollar driver instead of just getting better with what he has already.  But, if you got it like that then by all means go for it, that's the kinda shit that makes share holders nut on themselves. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Yammyhammer said:

Makes me love my 99 yz400f even more now considering it still dusts anything that gets near it and never had a problem at all with it other than replacing the junk slant fcr for a newer yz450f carburetor which made it run like something crazy, and the stator went bad so 45 bucks to replace that. Other than that iv never had a problem out of it and never even had to reshim the valves at all. A new bike every year to me sounds like a golfer trying to buy a game by buying that latest 500 dollar driver instead of just getting better with what he has already.  But, if you got it like that then by all means go for it, that's the kinda shit that makes share holders nut on themselves. 

You must ride 2 hours per year 

• Like 1

MOG, I understand what you are saying and you are right. Should be a major concern to dealers. Forgive the brain dead on here that post just to see their own words.

• Like 2

IMO 28 hrs is such a small number of hrs to think about selling unless you hated the bike.

Break down $4k over 28 hrs and it amounts to $142 for every hr of use that bike has cost you. You can spend your money however you want but that is straight up foolish by most people’s standards. I have to “make due” with a “old” (lol) 2017 250xc and I’m not even at all interested in shopping for a new bike. Put 25 hrs on it in the last 2 months alone and im totally happy with it.

A 2019 is going to be what, maybe 2% “better”? And in what way? Only one way to find out I suppose.

I know that region plays a big part of how much you can get out of a used dirtbike. Where I live ktms/huskys command top dollar, but what few 150s I’ve seen for sale were much cheaper then a comparable 250-300. Just not a popular bike new or used here.

Dealers give nothing for trades either, always better to sell privately and walk in with cash but I’m sure you know that. Either way, you earned the money, if a 19 will make you happy, I say go for it!

34^C ?  that's 93^ F........we don't see temperatures that low in the summer

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Jim Bourg said:

MOG, I understand what you are saying and you are right. Should be a major concern to dealers. Forgive the brain dead on here that post just to see their own words.

I'm posting to give Mog shit for wasting a year of his life. 

The dealerships, the bikes, the parts all come and go but that precious time to ride is just gone.

Shameful what Mog has done with his life.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Jim Bourg said:

How about you elaborate then, for the 'brain dead' . 

I feel like there has been a lot of good views so far, so what you got?

Maybe your salary hasn’t increased enough to compensate for the inflation of bike prices. You should get a better job. Us 20-somethings are making $150k+ we’re not struggling 😎😎

🎣

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

It's quite obvious that many have not paid attention to what MOG 's point is. They instead talk about everything else, time spent riding, how many bikes they have, how much money they make, or maybe want us to think they make. The cost of getting into this sport is keeping the average teenager out. They are the future of the sport.

• Like 1

It's quite obvious that many have not paid attention to what MOG 's point is. They instead talk about everything else, time spent riding, how many bikes they have, how much money they make, or maybe want us to think they make. The cost of getting into this sport is keeping the average teenager out. They are the future of the sport.
I thought his point was that used bike prices are dropping? Shouldn't that make it easier for people to get into the sport?
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Jim Bourg said:

Forgive the brain dead on here that post just to see their own words.

LOL

Rips on MOG and doesn't even know it :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Jim Bourg said:

Ok but that has been addressed. The first mistake is thinking you need to sell your 18 for a 19. I dont care what age you are, that is no longer needed nor is it smart. That was very easy to do like 10yrs ago. But the market doesnt let it happen that way. So if people would stop looking at it that way and approach a bike purchase as a 3yr or so investment, the majority of riders can do just fine. I gave plenty of examples, go back and read them. 

If you are 20yrs old with an 18 with 20hrs and are complaining that you cant sell your 18 to get a 19, then too bad. That has nothing to do with the sport or market and everything to do with that person being unreasonable.

Edited by ah665
  • Like 1

it seems obvious to me that your not gonna get shit for value on trade in, esp a small bore, they just get abused.  

I like to buy the bike that was bought and never used. And those guys take a beating like mog. And those bikes come with a lot of the extras I'll need to spend money on anyway. I just bought an 18 with 18 hours for 4 grand less than the original owner had in it. And it did cost the dealer a sale on a new one. If I wouldn't have found this deal, I would have been forced to buy a new one.

• Like 1

Is this news that buying anything brand new means taking a bath? I bought a '14 YZ450f for 4g and it has 11 hours on it. Checked the GYTR tuner, and it looks the part. Sure, I could pay nearly 10,000 for a 19, but what the &%$#@!s the difference anyways?

• Like 3