My new bike bubble has burst

1 hour ago, Yammyhammer said:

I ride everyday even if it's just to the mailbox, but normally I'd say I put around 15 to 20 hours a week on it sometimes more depending on the rain. It's a 10 mile or so ride on the rd to where I go in the woods and I don't spare the throttle ridding dirty so she gets twisted up plenty getting there but never fails to bring me home except for when the stator went out, she decided to do that in the absolute middle of nowhere, but if it was the middle of somewhere than everyone would do it and it wouldn't be called single track it would be called a rd. 

I have to assume you found a left over new stock 1999 YZ400F somewhere and bought it a couple of years ago

If you bought it in 99 then I have to call you on your bullshit. Lets be conservative here and assume you ride it 3 months a year at the 15 hours per week you posted

3 months = 13 weeks and at 15hrs per week you total 195 hours per year

This is 2018 so if you bought it in 1999 the bike is 19 years old and at 195 hours per year you have approximately 3,705 hours on a 400 stroker with zero internal engine maintenance 

I'm thinking your post is

wdyb.gif.462262ac5c8d5ca43ae44bc881aa2c93.gif

Edited by MotorBoatin
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, gspartsguy said:

The biggest problem for the motorcycle industry and dealers is the severe lack of new riders. The price of motorcycles new or used for young people does not matter if they have no interest at all in riding motorcycles. 

And the "why" of that is another thread that needs addressing. And the manufacturers better pay attention!

Manufacturers are raking in side by side money here. They out number bikes by a huge margin on the trails up north. Don't tell me a 40 something year old can't afford a $9k bike. Instead he's paying $15-$30k for a side by side and can take the whole familly.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Piney Woods said:

And the "why" of that is another thread that needs addressing. And the manufacturers better pay attention!

They are paying attention. China and India are the new growth markets and the Japanese manufactures are heavily invested there

Dirt bikes are a drop in the bucket compared to what they are selling in those markets. KTM sees whats going on and they are capitalizing on it 

2 hours ago, Piney Woods said:

I agree with you Piney Woods, please start that thread of "why", it would be very interesting. 

The old guys are still buying bikes. One of my buddies has three 2019 models and will buy two more next year. I know at least ten guys that I ride with have bought new bikes this year. It is definitely seems to be an old guys sport now.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, MotorBoatin said:

They are paying attention. China and India are the new growth markets and the Japanese manufactures are heavily invested there

Dirt bikes are a drop in the bucket compared to what they are selling in those markets. KTM sees whats going on and they are capitalizing on it 

Agreed. But db's are a necessary part of the equation as long as the sport of db racing exists. And it provides the advt exposure and passion that ignites fans and draws them to a brand. Which begs the question,,,,,,,will db racing as we know it on the casual, amateur level exist 25 years from now?

• Like 1

Agreed. But db's are a necessary part of the equation as long as the sport of db racing exists. And it provides the advt exposure and passion that ignites fans and draws them to a brand. Which begs the question,,,,,,,will db racing as we know it on the casual, amateur level exist 25 years from now?

Yes, on electric bikes.

16 hours ago, pomoco said:

The old guys are still buying bikes. One of my buddies has three 2019 models and will buy two more next year. I know at least ten guys that I ride with have bought new bikes this year. It is definitely seems to be an old guys sport now.

Hate to break it to you but those 10 guys are not the norm. Dealers are selling 100times+ more side by sides to old guys than they are dirt bikes. Side by side sales have increased the past 5 years.... while DB and even ATV sales continue to fall short of previous year numbers.

A sxs I believe can be fun for the whole family ,apples to oranges , a dB is a big purchase for a person to use mostly himself

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mog said:

A sxs I believe can be fun for the whole family ,apples to oranges , a dB is a big purchase for a person to use mostly himself

I think the point can just be made that you can also buy a father and 2 kids (for example) brand new dirt bikes for the same amount that it takes to buy a new SXS. Plus factor in that a SXS is tougher to haul etc, yet people buy the hell out of them. So while I agree that new bike costs are too high for some, I don't look at that, used bike value/prices, trade-in value as anything out of the steady pattern. So while I agree that there is a bit of an issue with the interest of the sport / industry etc, I truly don't agree with the premise of this thread. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Piney Woods said:

Which begs the question,,,,,,,will db racing as we know it on the casual, amateur level exist 25 years from now?

1 hour ago, Tahoe Gator said:

Yes, on electric bikes.

No. The majority of the racers around here are all in the Vet classes. And with the race tracks needing "x" amount of racers/day just to stay open, once us Vets retire, the tracks will start to close. I don't like it one bit, but that's what's going to happen.

• Like 1

Hard to take the depreciation hit. However I enjoy working on my bikes. Always buy good used bikes. Four stroke or two stroke. My latest 08 crf450 special edition black. Picked up $1200.00. Bearings are dry, overall bike good condition. I check, grease everything, replace any broken items. Ride. Ride.Ride. Sell it when finished, find another bike. Prefer Honda, Yamaha. The dealer is good, and caters to off-road crowd. Rip and Ride, Ace the corner the best of my abilities. Makes me smile. Cheers.

4AD7E9A4-3C73-4504-B5E7-91BE4F5C16F6.jpeg

BC316125-C775-4661-93C5-6BEA39D16228.jpeg

8E98897C-1775-4ED6-80BE-5714EB586848.jpeg

• Like 3

On 10/14/2018 at 10:29 PM, mog said:

So I got my 150 last year as I rode 4 strokes for over 10years. Got bored of them in time and hated how hard they were to sell ,no one wants a 50 hr 250f . I loved 2 strokes and decided a 125 is too hard work ,a 150 is ideal

Bought it ,loved it ,tuned it , had tons of fun ,only done 28 hours , thought maybe a 19 150 would be nice ( not needed)

Talk to 2 local dealers , both good guys ,both say my bike to trade on has lost half its value ,new prices have gone up a good amount in Oct

Oversupply on used and high new prices mean I would have to pay $4000 on top of my 18 to get a 19

Who can do that ,I can afford to ,but you don't keep your money by burning it in that kind of fashion emoji25.png

We can blame Brexit ,we can blame KTM , but it won't actually help

Car running costs have gone up but not as much , you need a car ,you don't need to have a new Mx bike , I will keep the 18 ( I know I am so hard done to ) for another year and take a bigger hit to go to a 20

It makes me worry about where this is going

That’s just normal for a very long time.  Buy a bike every year and that’s just what happens. I think the best is to buy a year or less old bike that’s gotten all the goodies put on and the depreciation loss is on the other guy.. or be particular and know the market for the used bike  after you buy new. Certain bikes hold their prices better than others but everyone will lose money when buying a new bike. The best is to keep your bike for a long while and get your money’s worth out of your bike. . But you want the newest bike every year and that’s just a higher price. I have a 15 300 and the newer bikes don’t look that much better.. Even my old 09’525 is good and the newest bikes are better but don’t have me wanting to open my wallet. 

What foes the 19 have that the 18 doesn’t?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MANIAC998 said:

No. The majority of the racers around here are all in the Vet classes. And with the race tracks needing "x" amount of racers/day just to stay open, once us Vets retire, the tracks will start to close. I don't like it one bit, but that's what's going to happen.

The answer is to put effort into supporting kids racing so there are future generations riding. It’s the same thing here. I’m thinking I have to start volunteering more to help with races... or see if guys want to start a club and start putting up rides and races. No one wants to do it. Everyone wants someone else to do the work. I rather someone else do it but it’s looking more like.  .. If it’s to be it’s up to me..  gotta give to get

• Like 1

Typical MX track design represents pure stupidity as a business model. Very few parents want their children to be cripples.

• Like 1