My new bike bubble has burst

I'm riding my 16 KX 250f w/ 25 hours on her. I put a 300 kit in her at 20 hrs., so basically she's a pretty new bike! I told my wife when I bought it that I would ride it until 2021 because I don't ride that much and couldn't justify a new bike.

The only real reason I could see myself buying a new bike in the next couple of years is because of wants not needs! I'm getting older and would like my e start on my KX which I'm sure will come out on the 250's in 2020? Seems silly to spend that much money just for a starter? 

2 minutes ago, MotorBoatin said:

Nice rack :thumbsup:

Thank You. Monster 1300lb Yukon Moose. Three men Eight hours to get out of lake, Bush, and Mtns. Completely exhausted, after that day of hunting. 

On 10/16/2018 at 4:09 AM, kgmkgm said:

Except new mountain bikes don't last more than 2 years before exploding. I was riding a 2006 YZ250F with pretty heavy hours on it until 3 months ago. But yeah, interchangeable parts are non existent in bicycles.

BUT the biggest driver of all of this IMO is lack of widespread good wages, and lack of health care. I wouldn't buy my kid a dirt bike either knowing if they break their leg, I might lose my house.  I'd be like "well son, this is way more fun, but we can't afford it, so here is Totally Sweet Redbull Dirtbike Videogame LLC, sorry"

I can't ride to my fullest potential due to the constant lingering danger of injury's true cost. Pain in temporary, but debt is forever ha! I just bought a duplex and money is still tight, and the 2nd half is covering almost all the costs of the property.

Your reasons are quite similar here . It’s expensive to get hurt.. even with good insurance.

39 minutes ago, Eric Nyysti said:

I'm riding my 16 KX 250f w/ 25 hours on her. I put a 300 kit in her at 20 hrs., so basically she's a pretty new bike! I told my wife when I bought it that I would ride it until 2021 because I don't ride that much and couldn't justify a new bike.

The only real reason I could see myself buying a new bike in the next couple of years is because of wants not needs! I'm getting older and would like my e start on my KX which I'm sure will come out on the 250's in 2020? Seems silly to spend that much money just for a starter? 

I got an estart for my 2 stroke because I hurt my knee and couldn’t kick on my then current 2 stroke without estart. I already had a 4 stroke estart 525 rs. There’s no reason to have to buy a new bike to have estart.  There’s a lot of choices out there used and cheaper. 

Typical MX track design represents pure stupidity as a business model. Very few parents want their children to be cripples.

This ^^^^ is it! Most tracks near where we live are all gap jumps. (No table tops.) Don’t make it? Bad bad bad. My boys didn’t start out as pee wees and there is no safe way for them as early teens to learn how to ride an MX track without serious risk. They are wise enough not to and no way I’m pushing it—for them or me! The sad part is that they would love to advance their track skills if it were safer to do so.
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Tahoe Gator said:

This ^^^^ is it! Most tracks near where we live are all gap jumps. (No table tops.) Don’t make it? Bad bad bad. My boys didn’t start out as pee wees and there is no safe way for them as early teens to learn how to ride an MX track without serious risk. They are wise enough not to and no way I’m pushing it—for them or me! The sad part is that they would love to advance their track skills if it were safer to do so.

There are very safe ways for your boys to learn to moto as teens! First I recommend you take them to a none moto environment to learn the basics! Once they are confident with that then it's track time. The basic rules your boys have to understand is to RIDE WITHIN THERE LIMITS and HOLD THERE LINE  It's that simple the fast guys will get around them they just need to stay where they are so the faster guy knows what he needs to do!, get them out on the track when the traffic is light or more there speed. Try jumps and other stuff as there skills get better. I raised my son and daughter with this method and now I'm teaching my grandsons to ride the same way! I have had great success keeping the kids in my family safe for years now! The only thing your kids have to do while riding is HAVE FUN!!!  

• Like 2

There are very safe ways for your boys to learn to moto as teens! First I recommend you take them to a none moto environment to learn the basics! Once they are confident with that then it's track time. The basic rules your boys have to understand is to RIDE WITHIN THERE LIMITS and HOLD THERE LINE  It's that simple the fast guys will get around them they just need to stay where they are so the faster guy knows what he needs to do!, get them out on the track when the traffic is light or more there speed. Try jumps and other stuff as there skills get better. I raised my son and daughter with this method and now I'm teaching my grandsons to ride the same way! I have had great success keeping the kids in my family safe for years now! The only thing your kids have to do while riding is HAVE FUN!!!  

We ride plenty of other terrain. But I am telling you that the MX tracks near us are all step up jumps with the middle cutaway. Landing short is tantamount to riding into a vertical bank of dirt at speed. Sure, you can go slow over them but there is no easing your way into being able to make them. All or nothing. That’s not the way to progressively learn.
  • Like 4

40 minutes ago, Tahoe Gator said:

We ride plenty of other terrain. But I am telling you that the MX tracks near us are all step up jumps with the middle cutaway. Landing short is tantamount to riding into a vertical bank of dirt at speed. Sure, you can go slow over them but there is no easing your way into being able to make them. All or nothing. That’s not the way to progressively learn.

It's funny that you brought this up.  This summer, I went back to walk a small, private track that I grew up riding; and one of the very first places that I ever rode a dirt bike.  All of the jumps used to be fairly small and rounded and all of them had "chicken trails" that would allow you to ride around them, for those not ready for jumping.  I haven't seen it in decades.

NOW, it looks like a pro-level Supercross track with no room for error, either on the jumps, or for inadvertently running off of the track.  :banghead:

• Like 1

The track at my holidays address. Accessible for free, 7 days a week from dawn to dusk. A cheap XR200 does the job. Maximum fun for little money.

Edited by deanevo
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Tahoe Gator said:

Ok I got it I call those 5% ter tracks! My buddies and I boycott those kinds of tracks until they understand the 5% of the riders they build the track for doesn’t pay their bills! The core support of most tracks are the veteran riders. We have more money, more time and our wives can’t wait for us to leave the house 🤣 It’s strange, I ride tracks all over the country and some have no gapped jumps then some go nuts with them? Everybody should take a hint from AMA motocross tracks, the jumps don’t have to have huge gaps to be challenging!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/16/2018 at 12:40 PM, MotorBoatin said:

I have to assume you found a left over new stock 1999 YZ400F somewhere and bought it a couple of years ago

If you bought it in 99 then I have to call you on your bullshit. Lets be conservative here and assume you ride it 3 months a year at the 15 hours per week you posted

3 months = 13 weeks and at 15hrs per week you total 195 hours per year

This is 2018 so if you bought it in 1999 the bike is 19 years old and at 195 hours per year you have approximately 3,705 hours on a 400 stroker with zero internal engine maintenance 

I'm thinking your post is

wdyb.gif.462262ac5c8d5ca43ae44bc881aa2c93.gif

No I bought it from some kid off of craigslist about 2 years ago and I ride it literally every day today included, just got home from riding it to work and iv had zero problems with it except for the stator going out. Never had the valve cover off of it so far, it don't chatter or make any other noise so why would I. I check the oil on occasion but if there's none on the dipstick then I add some till there is. Is it that hard to believe that a machine that's relatively taken care of can run for who knows how long without listening to the gospel every 30 hr top end rebuild that the manual preaches? 

36 minutes ago, Yammyhammer said:

No I bought it from some kid off of craigslist about 2 years ago and I ride it literally every day today included, just got home from riding it to work and iv had zero problems with it except for the stator going out. Never had the valve cover off of it so far, it don't chatter or make any other noise so why would I. I check the oil on occasion but if there's none on the dipstick then I add some till there is. Is it that hard to believe that a machine that's relatively taken care of can run for who knows how long without listening to the gospel every 30 hr top end rebuild that the manual preaches? 

You might want to look at the valve clearance.  Valve clearance gets tighter (and goes away) not looser.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CORider63 said:

You might want to look at the valve clearance.  Valve clearance gets tighter (and goes away) not looser.

About 2 months ago it was getting hard to kick, not like taking 100 tries to start it but it was like hitting a brick wall at the bottom of the stroke even when you did the normal starting process. I asked my cousin about it and he said to check the valves and I really was going to but I ran into a killer deal on a 05 yz450f carburetor and replaced that slant fcr on it and it disappeared and started kicking off perfect like it used to so I never did check the valve lol. Now it's just a, how long will she go without doing anything, thing. I do check the coolant before every ride tho :).  But since I put that new carburetor on it I really don't even have to go through the regular starting process, I just hold the decompression lever, kick it about 3 times and on the 3rd kick just let it go right before it hits the foot peg and it starts without even taking my ass off the seat. I was actually gonna do a video starting it in flip flops and barefoot it starts so easily.  The old bitch for real runs like new, it surprises me on a daily.  Good looking out tho.

On 10/15/2018 at 7:30 AM, mog said:

This is to trade in ,to sell and buy I could get a better deal for sure

2 strokes here held the value till recently

dude just sell it to someone looking to buy a bike and buy the one you want

your bike is an excellent deal for someone who wants a recent bike but not brand new

dealers will always low ball you,  they need to get bikes off of their hands not get more bikes, so they d only take a bike in if it is at a ridiculously low price...

like if i’m trying to get you to buy something from me that you have no interest in having, i’d have to motivate you somehow 

• Like 1

Mogs not complaining about the dealer low balling him or complaining about trying to sell his bike outright. He’s mearly pointing out that the industry has turned down a dead-end road and they don’t seem concerned about fixing it.

• Like 1

Yes exactly ,it's not about ,me or my bike or my deal , it's about ktm core buyer saying this is too much now , I don't know if we can blame KTM , the market , Brexit , but something with have to give ,i can keep my bike for another 10 years ,the dealers can't keep the business going if no one buys

Maybe the USA market will keep expanding and keep KTM in profit ,here KTM pretty much own off road and Mx and they have got to the limit of what people are willing to pay

I spoke to another dealer yesterday,cash price is around 6% off , again that's not going to make me buy either.

I predict bad sales in 19 and heavy discounts at the end of the season