My new bike bubble has burst

2 hours ago, mog said:

Yes exactly ,it's not about ,me or my bike or my deal , it's about ktm core buyer saying this is too much now , I don't know if we can blame KTM , the market , Brexit , but something with have to give ,i can keep my bike for another 10 years ,the dealers can't keep the business going if no one buys

Maybe the USA market will keep expanding and keep KTM in profit ,here KTM pretty much own off road and Mx and they have got to the limit of what people are willing to pay

I spoke to another dealer yesterday,cash price is around 6% off , again that's not going to make me buy either.

I predict bad sales in 19 and heavy discounts at the end of the season

Why worry? The market will correct itself whatever happens. Ktm sells for too much? So buy a yamaha or gasgas or Beta or whatever. Ktm will adjust. All brands adjust or fail. That’s business. It’s supply and demand . We all adapt and buy whatever they force on us anyway.  I’d like an about a 400cc estart 2 stroke estart bike. I don’t think one will be made but a 300 2 stroke estart enduro bike is pretty good. I wanted Honda to come back to making 2 strokes. So they stuck to 4 strokes. :excuseme: it’s just some changes. There will be a bunch more changes and there isn’t much we can do about it. Just ride while you can. Enjoy while you can. .. with whatever bike.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider
  • Like 1

I'm not worried lol ,it's not my job on the line ,it's saving me money haha

15 hours ago, MANIAC998 said:

Mogs not complaining about the dealer low balling him or complaining about trying to sell his bike outright. He’s mearly pointing out that the industry has turned down a dead-end road and they don’t seem concerned about fixing it.

To be fair, MXA has been complaining about this since 1998 but here we are.

• Like 1

Yes but the target audience is getting smaller , in those days I could afford a new bike each year with less money than I have now

Look at how cheap some of the street bike offerings are getting now days.

That said, go look at MSRP of bikes of yesterday and add inflation. A 1999 KTM 125 adjusted for inflation is a tick over $7700. A 2019 is $7199.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Really I had no idea , good info ,makes you reconsider

• Like 1

Your 150 is way cheaper than ours ? Is that the actual price you pay ? Ours is6899 to walk out ( list including all taxes etc )

3 hours ago, mog said:

Yes but the target audience is getting smaller , in those days I could afford a new bike each year with less money than I have now

So what? Everyone can afford a good dirtbike if we want. Get a new cheap priced new bike like a yz 125 or 250 . No one needs an expensive bike to win and be competitive.  . Petition and organize to bring 2 strokes back to the pro ranks to make racing cheaper for riding and racing for every one if you want to make a dent . How can you change the target audience? If that’s what you think makes a difference? Volunteer to help with putting on more dirtbike racing for kids. That’s how we will have more sustainability for riders in the future. There’s a ton of things dirt bike riders say would be good to do for our industry. But try and get any of them to show up to do the work to provide change. Riders want OTHERS to do the work predominantly. Just ask those that put on races or do trail maintenance. Who shows up for hearings on land issues for riding? Very very few...The biggest issue with Dirtbike riders is most want others to show up and do the work and be responsible. The problem with dirt riders is dirtriders.  In one example I do some trail maintenance... for many years now. My Dad did it when I was young. I didn’t think much of it. Later I saw that no one was cutting and cleaning trails so that they closed out and the greenery grew and swallowed some  trails. So I started and somehow thought that if I started cutting and told a few people then others might follow. That hasn’t happened... for many years.. I run into a few guys that cut and clean and maintain. Most are older. All are older. Some thank me for the little I do. It takes a long time and lots of sweat for one guy to open up even a very short section . Whatever. It is what it is. If anyone wants to improve our sport there’s a ton of ways to help. Pick where help is needed and show up. I still don’t get the part of being upset for not having good resale on your 18’ bike to get a 19. That’s just always was ...right? So now you’re concern is that our sport is going downhill and not healthy or growing? The heyday was at the time of the very first   On Any Sunday    movie. It’s just gotten progressively less and less since so now the vet classes crank the most percentage wise. Same On Any Sunday generation right?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

So what? Everyone can afford a good dirtbike if we want. Get a new cheap priced new bike like a yz 125 or 250 . No one needs an expensive bike to win and be competitive.  . Petition and organize to bring 2 strokes back to the pro ranks to make racing cheaper for riding and racing for every one if you want to make a dent . How can you change the target audience? If that’s what you think makes a difference? Volunteer to help with putting on more dirtbike racing for kids. That’s how we will have more sustainability for riders in the future. There’s a ton of things dirt bike riders say would be good to do for our industry. But try and get any of them to show up to do the work to provide change. Riders want OTHERS to do the work predominantly. Just ask those that put on races or do trail maintenance. Who shows up for hearings on land issues for riding? Very very few...The biggest issue with Dirtbike riders is most want others to show up and do the work and be responsible. The problem with dirt riders is dirtriders.  In one example I do some trail maintenance... for many years now. My Dad did it when I was young. I didn’t think much of it. Later I saw that no one was cutting and cleaning trails so that they closed out and the greenery grew and swallowed some  trails. So I started and somehow thought that if I started cutting and told a few people then others might follow. That hasn’t happened... for many years.. I run into a few guys that cut and clean and maintain. Most are older. All are older. Some thank me for the little I do. It takes a long time and lots of sweat for one guy to open up even a very short section . Whatever. It is what it is. If anyone wants to improve our sport there’s a ton of ways to help. Pick where help is needed and show up. I still don’t get the part of being upset for not having good resale on your 18’ bike to get a 19. That’s just always was ...right? So now you’re concern is that our sport is going downhill and not healthy or growing? The heyday was at the time of the very first   On Any Sunday    movie. It’s just gotten progressively less and less since so now the vet classes crank the most percentage wise. Same On Any Sunday generation right?

Ya same thing here on the East Coast. It is either grown over or has been taken over by ATVs and SxSs.  Every once and a while some kids come around to ride dirtbikes and work on trails then lose interest. 

Once they get out of high school and go off to college the youth leave the sport and don't come back unless it is on 4 wheels. My son is still pretty young and he has already lost interest in his ATVs & dirtbikes --he is off doing parkour, soccer, mountain biking, or skateboarding with his buddies. Different generation I guess.

• Like 2

Motocross is Tough! And Difficult!! You have to be willing to struggle for quite some time before you start improving and running up front. I’m not so sure this new generation is willing to put in the time and effort.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, MANIAC998 said:

Motocross is Tough! And Difficult!! You have to be willing to struggle for quite some time before you start improving and running up front. I’m not so sure this new generation is willing to put in the time and effort.

The sport first of all is way too expensive . Of course parents go in debt huge for even maybe a tiny sliver of a chance to break even and maybe even get to be a pro ...What’s the chance? One in a million??? Meanwhile families blow way more than they should on racing. This is the 4 stroke era too. It’s much more expensive. 

There’s alot of views on mx. Lots are varied. I just got bored with mx. You go round and round for what 20 minutes a moto then you wait then do another 20 minutes a couple hours later? Then you’re done?? F******* lame. Maybe it’s better if racing a couple of classes.. maybe.. with hare scrambles or hard enduro it’s like 3 to 7 hrs and a wide variety of terrain and different types of riding. You don’t know what is around each corner and must quickly adapt to any situation. You can race for hours. It’s more fun and generally not as dangerous and you get your riding time in. What’s weird too is when I was a kid racing mx in the mini cycle clases we ran 3 30 minute motos. The full size bike classes systematically dropped the 3rd moto and the length of time in each moto. Looozer!!!! The track design with too high shooting the rider into the sky will eventually have the rider crash... and crash hard to the broken femur, neck, back etc serious hurts.. and death. Lots of track design is straight super dangerous and stupid just for the sake of it. More risk of crashing on mega jumps doesn’t improve racing. It’s just increasing risk of major injury or death. Look where football is going in preventing injury. Dirt bikes are going the other way. That’s retarded thinking. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mog said:

Is that strictly mx or the world/economy in general? A new Camaro cost $3000 new back in the day. Now a top of the line one is $80000. My parents bought their house with cash, I have a mortgage. I bought new bikes every year when I was in college, now I make way more money and buy new every couple years. I think the thread is blowing things out of proportion, personally. Good discussion though.

Edited by ah665

54 minutes ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

The sport first of all is way too expensive . Of course parents go in debt huge for even maybe a tiny sliver of a chance to break even and maybe even get to be a pro ...What’s the chance? One in a million??? Meanwhile families blow way more than they should on racing. This is the 4 stroke era too. It’s much more expensive. 

There’s alot of views on mx. Lots are varied. I just got bored with mx. You go round and round for what 20 minutes a moto then you wait then do another 20 minutes a couple hours later? Then you’re done?? F******* lame. Maybe it’s better if racing a couple of classes.. maybe.. with hare scrambles or hard enduro it’s like 3 to 7 hrs and a wide variety of terrain and different types of riding. You don’t know what is around each corner and must quickly adapt to any situation. You can race for hours. It’s more fun and generally not as dangerous and you get your riding time in. What’s weird too is when I was a kid racing mx in the mini cycle clases we ran 3 30 minute motos. The full size bike classes systematically dropped the 3rd moto and the length of time in each moto. Looozer!!!! The track design with too high shooting the rider into the sky will eventually have the rider crash... and crash hard to the broken femur, neck, back etc serious hurts.. and death. Lots of track design is straight super dangerous and stupid just for the sake of it. More risk of crashing on mega jumps doesn’t improve racing. It’s just increasing risk of major injury or death. Look where football is going in preventing injury. Dirt bikes are going the other way. That’s retarded thinking. 

That’s why I switched to Harescrambles. My last weekend of MX before I switched to Harescrambles, we hit intermission at 4pm and our 2nd motos got shortened due to impending darkness. Next weekend, I had raced, showered, eaten, trophied and was almost home before 4pm!! Spent less money! Raced more!! Way more!!! And got home earlier to get ready for work. That’s what I call a win-win-win!!!

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, MANIAC998 said:

That’s why I switched to Harescrambles. My last weekend of MX before I switched to Harescrambles, we hit intermission at 4pm and our 2nd motos got shortened due to impending darkness. Next weekend, I had raced, showered, eaten, trophied and was almost home before 4pm!! Spent less money! Raced more!! Way more!!! And got home earlier to get ready for work. That’s what I call a win-win-win!!!

Exactly..  This also goes to making different kinds of races to get more bang for your buck and just have more fun. We had one sprint enduro that had 3 separate loops for the first 3 motos.. probably 50 min to an hour each and then the 4th moto was all three motos courses  strung together. It came out to around 5 hours of racing  total but broken up. That was fun. Some races are extreme bust your ass and die and mud and rocks and then some regular 3 hours of hare scrambles regular trail racing. It’s not broken upsplit an hour of racing in a whole day... Maybe that’s ok entering 2 or 3 classes. 

• Like 1

Ive switched from racer to "professional practice rider"

The practice sessions are more fun, more ridding, and way cheaper.

The same guys are there as on race day. Go chase them down if u want, or play at your own pace, and have way more track time for less money.

I like racing, but the expense and the waiting around all day for 15 min of track time just got old. I was ridding 3 classes just to fill the day.

Edited by lowmass
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Adv Biker said:

More lazy fat asses buying ATVs instead of dirtbikes is probably good for their business.:lol::lol::lol: All this government intervention stuff and behind the back taxes shit blows. These slimeball politicians and lobbyists are all the same scuz left, right, or center.

• Like 2