My new bike bubble has burst

I've always bought new cars/trucks on some blowout special.  My last truck I bought 13 years ago (and it still runs just fine).  Looking at the prices of new, basic trucks like what I have is ridiculous......it's not just bikes.  That said, manufacturers of dirt bikes have an ever decreasing market to split up.  That's not the case with autos.  The bike manufacturers better figure it out because they are chasing more people away or maybe they would rather sell higher margin street bikes, atvs and side by sides.  

• Like 2

On October 22, 2018 at 6:45 PM, MANIAC998 said:

Motocross is Tough! And Difficult!! You have to be willing to struggle for quite some time before you start improving and running up front. I’m not so sure this new generation is willing to put in the time and effort.

I know plenty of riders in their early 20s. I'd say about half quit within 2 years. 

It's really just a brutal sport to learn and something you have to be good at to have any fun. Also, fit and at least somewhat mechanically inclined. That weeds out most of the weak ones lol... 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Dirt Mcgurt said:

I know plenty of riders in their early 20s. I'd say about half quit within 2 years. 

It's really just a brutal sport to learn and something you have to be good at to have any fun. Also, fit and at least somewhat mechanically inclined. That weeds out most of the weak ones lol... 

We have some new scenario here. A moped underbone class. Lots of youngsters who buy mx rolling frames and put a 50cc in it. They have some sort unofficial competition.

4 hours ago, Tahoe Gator said:

Yeah maybe the beef industry shouldn’t inject their cows with all that crap that we end up digesting? Antibiotic resistant bacteria is no joke.

You said it !!!! 

Hahaha i wasnt going to....but you said it

it s the US man, either you accept to buy our chemical-plastic-made-meat or we will refuse your motocross bikes...hahaha

• Like 2

I'll go ride the track when I feel like pissing some money down the drain but I can have just as much fun, probably more in the woods. Fast stuff, slow stuff, whoops, rocks, sand, hard pack, jumps, it's all there...

In conclusion motorcross is dead, offroad is where the sport is heading. Either hop on the train or move out the way bitches

Edited by Dirt Mcgurt
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, Dirt Mcgurt said:

I'll go ride the track when I feel like pissing some money down the drain but I can have just as much fun, probably more in the woods. Fast stuff, slow stuff, whoops, rocks, sand, hard pack, jumps, it's all there...

In conclusion motorcross is dead, offroad is where the sport is heading. Either hop on the train or move out the way bitches

You got an ATV or a SxS? Even grandma rides "offroad" on those...:lol: 

Offroad motorcycling is dying here because it is just too difficult for the average American to do it. Shit, most Americans won't even drive a standard shift car anymore.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

You got an ATV or a SxS? Even grandma rides "offroad" on those...:lol: 
Offroad motorcycling is dying here because it is just too difficult for the average American to do it. Shit, most Americans won't even drive a standard shift car anymore.

One of our local riding parks (Durhamtown) has something like 6 MX tracks. More if you count some of the pump tracks and such. A couple of them usually have a few riders on them. The others I could enter the wrong way and ride backwards because no one rides them. I know this because some are in the woods so to speak and I’ve actually accidentally entered the wrong way, turned around, and rode them for a bit without ever seeing a soul. No one is on them because they all have mostly “make it or else” gap jumps. It’s perplexing. Maybe it’s more economical on moving dirt? Fortunately, there is ample singletrack I get all to myself because no one is on those either—probably fewer than MX. Most everyone is riding the vast “trail system.” The owner gets kudos for having the place in the first place — the land “lawyers haven’t discovered yet” I like to call it. But I cannot say he’s promoting progression in the sport. No way am I letting my newbie young teenagers go for 20 foot gap jumps (that could be hospital or dental trips if they come up short) without progressing from table tops, but those don’t exist so there’s no way to get there.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Tahoe Gator said:

One of our local riding parks (Durhamtown) has something like 6 MX tracks. More if you count some of the pump tracks and such. A couple of them usually have a few riders on them. The others I could enter the wrong way and ride backwards because no one rides them. I know this because some are in the woods so to speak and I’ve actually accidentally entered the wrong way, turned around, and rode them for a bit without ever seeing a soul. No one is on them because they all have mostly “make it or else” gap jumps. It’s perplexing. Maybe it’s more economical on moving dirt? Fortunately, there is ample singletrack I get all to myself because no one is on those either—probably fewer than MX. Most everyone is riding the vast “trail system.” The owner gets kudos for having the place in the first place — the land “lawyers haven’t discovered yet” I like to call it. But I cannot say he’s promoting progression in the sport. No way am I letting my newbie young teenagers go for 20 foot gap jumps (that could be hospital or dental trips if they come up short) without progressing from table tops, but those don’t exist so there’s no way to get there.

tabletops take atleast twice as much dirt to make which requires alot more time.  but making the effort to make the jumps rollable/less consequential is definitely worth it. I built a track this summer and i learned it was much better to take the time to make the feature as safe as possible.

9 hours ago, Tahoe Gator said:

8 hours ago, DylDog said:

tabletops take atleast twice as much dirt to make which requires alot more time.  but making the effort to make the jumps rollable/less consequential is definitely worth it. I built a track this summer and i learned it was much better to take the time to make the feature as safe as possible.

We had a track here that went through a stage where they tried to make everything gnarly and basically cater to A-riders. Not good for the sport. A good track can make fun, safe (relatively speaking) doubles and then offer the ability for A-riders to combo or triple etc. It's pretty good now, thanks to the riders/locals voicing opinions in a constructive manner. I realize it is not easy to make and maintain a great track to please everyone, but it can be done. I hate hearing things like what Tahoe is saying. You'd like to think changes could be made to keep fast guys happy but also not keep people away. 

11 hours ago, ah665 said:

We had a track here that went through a stage where they tried to make everything gnarly and basically cater to A-riders. Not good for the sport. A good track can make fun, safe (relatively speaking) doubles and then offer the ability for A-riders to combo or triple etc. It's pretty good now, thanks to the riders/locals voicing opinions in a constructive manner. I realize it is not easy to make and maintain a great track to please everyone, but it can be done. I hate hearing things like what Tahoe is saying. You'd like to think changes could be made to keep fast guys happy but also not keep people away. 

yea i agree with you, i am no A rider, we built whoops tabletops and rollable stepups, there's 2 gap jumps you can bypass, there small.

On 10/15/2018 at 11:47 AM, mog said:

I know this ah665 lol

But if I did as I rode more ,then it would be even worse as it would lose even more value

Yes a bad year ,it went to 34oC for most of the summer ,I just don't ride in that

So again you have the most ridiculous logic about things.  So what I am hearing is you don't go ride because your resale will go down???  Go ride your dam bike already.  It's a 2018!!!   I have over 70 hours on my 2017 YZ250X already this year and I don't ride near as much as I want to.  28 hours!  Really??!!

On 10/15/2018 at 12:46 PM, mog said:

My rings were way past the wear limit at 12 hours , things don't last that long on a highly strung 150

But this has nothing to do with the conversation

Kan't Take Much.

• Like 1

On 10/16/2018 at 3:57 AM, mog said:
On 10/15/2018 at 6:09 PM, dittohead said:
IMO 28 hrs is such a small number of hrs to think about selling unless you hated the bike.
Break down $4k over 28 hrs and it amounts to $142 for every hr of use that bike has cost you. You can spend your money however you want but that is straight up foolish by most people’s standards. I have to “make due” with a “old” (lol) 2017 250xc and I’m not even at all interested in shopping for a new bike. Put 25 hrs on it in the last 2 months alone and im totally happy with it.
A 2019 is going to be what, maybe 2% “better”? And in what way? Only one way to find out I suppose.
I know that region plays a big part of how much you can get out of a used dirtbike. Where I live ktms/huskys command top dollar, but what few 150s I’ve seen for sale were much cheaper then a comparable 250-300. Just not a popular bike new or used here.
Dealers give nothing for trades either, always better to sell privately and walk in with cash but I’m sure you know that. Either way, you earned the money, if a 19 will make you happy, I say go for it!

Read more  

As I stated at the begining I don't need a 19 ,I won't go faster , it's nice to have a new bike when in past years you had to work insanely hard to buy new ,I now have the ability to buy new without it hurting like it used to ,but I won't as it's crazy money , dealers need to make a profit , but I can't burn money at that level

You have a new bike.  2018 is new...it's still 2018 right now!  You also have a KTM, learn how to and love working on it because that is what it requires.

I won't even think about getting a new bike until my current 2017 is 5 years old or needs a new bottom end.  And I still may say screw it and just overhaul it and keep it another 5 years.   

Yes the industry is pricing itself out of reach of many people.  Stated this in the MXoN's thread.  This is why the sport is slowly deteriorating.  Many people and families simply cannot afford this sport anymore.  

• Like 1

On 10/24/2018 at 9:09 PM, Dirt Mcgurt said:

Motocross dead?  No way.  I ride both off road and moto as much as possible.  I prefer moto but both are so much fun. 

• Like 1

Go away Wally your trying too hard ,it's a bit obvious and boring

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So again you have the most ridiculous logic about things.  So what I am hearing is you don't go ride because your resale will go down???  Go ride your dam bike already.  It's a 2018!!!   I have over 70 hours on my 2017 YZ250X already this year and I don't ride near as much as I want to.  28 hours!  Really??!!

29 hrs would be 3 rides for me . I haven't ridden yet this year but that's another matter. I've never ridden an MX. I'd like to, but not a priority because obviously I haven't done large jumps since 95% of my riding is woods. My only cost besides the bike, is gas money to haul my bike 20-50 miles to trails.

Lol for the 1000th time it's not my situation that's the actual discussion point ,it's the fact a very expensive bike depreciates badly enough in one year that a 40 something ( target audience for new bikes ) says this is a joke !

• Like 1

Maybe someone is listening ?

Cutting prices already !

Screenshot_20181026-191204.jpeg

Thats why i own a 85 and 86 xr 600r, i don't get caught up in the new world of take with never no return, buy used never buy new!!!

• Like 3