arizona Desert Tires

I am new to riding in the desert and the tiny gravel called sand around here. I run Dunlop AT-81's back home because they work well in a variety of conditions and don't climb mud ruts. The one thing I don't like is that with the narrower tread profile on the AT-81 it doesn't grip as well in hard leaning turns- since the tread doesn't wrap around the carcass as far as say, an MX-52 for example. This makes me wonder if I might "skate" less on the BLM trails if I ran a different tire. What tires are popular out here and why?

I actually run maxxis front and the at81 rear on the xr4, seems to work well. Granted I'm not racing on them so who knows if they hold up under those conditions with a more powerful bike. Did you move the family out west or just visiting?

For desert, the motoZ tractionator HT is a fantastic tire.   I don't like the front though in the HT.  The IT is good but edge chips on the rocks.  Front, I love my AT81F 90/90 At 14#

The Kenda Washougal II is what a lot of guys are running in the high desert here.  Great all around tire.  The dual compound lugs work well.

0b4180cd-d1b9-49fa-b485-a7b8c3c994a2.png

You'll get 10 different answers from 10 different guys. Not a lot of grip out here with any tire, to be honest. It's all rocks, sand and decomposed granite. Just get used to the skating around. Suspension is the most important thing here, with all the rocks.

My favorites are:

Front: Bridgestone M59, Maxxis SI, Shinko 546

Rear: Maxxis IT (not Desert IT), Metzeler MC360 MID HARD

I like the AT81, but can't make them last. Bridgestone X30 are decent, but not on my favorites list.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KeyKeeper said:

Another option that has great review is the Kenda Parker Desert.

328-6275-parent.jpg

I've been running that tire for a couple years.  For here it works well, high desert rock and sand.  It was designed to run stuff like Baja, it is virtually indestructible and puncture proof.  But it is very stiff and sort of heavy (6 ply).  The front isn't very good in sand, but it shines in rock like the rear.  I run it at 9.5 lbs both ends with hd tubes and even at that pressure there isn't much flex which saves your rims in rock.  And the unique side lugs will  help pull you out of anything that they can get a grip on.  It is a bidirectional tire and DOT.

• Like 1

Ok, not to hijack this thread, but what if we add short stretches of pavement to the equation. I like to ride the desert single track here in az but have to cover about 6 miles of pavement to get to one of my favorite trails. I've been liking the Maxxis IT desert front and rear but the pavement is not kind to them. Kosmic why do you specify "not desert" in your post and what's different about it vs the regular IT? Desert IT's are usually on the shelf everywhere around here too. I used to like the Bridgestone Gritty rear but they seem hard to find, maybe even discontinued.

Ok, not to hijack this thread, but what if we add short stretches of pavement to the equation. I like to ride the desert single track here in az but have to cover about 6 miles of pavement to get to one of my favorite trails. I've been liking the Maxxis IT desert front and rear but the pavement is not kind to them. Kosmic why do you specify "not desert" in your post and what's different about it vs the regular IT? Desert IT's are usually on the shelf everywhere around here too. I used to like the Bridgestone Gritty rear but they seem hard to find, maybe even discontinued.
That kenda parker is dot legal, that would fit the bill

12 minutes ago, dlock5 said:

That kenda parker is dot legal, that would fit the bill

Actually wanted to try the Kenda Parker before I bought the last Maxxis but had to get what I could find locally. I messed around and didn't order it soon enough. Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

Actually wanted to try the Kenda Parker before I bought the last Maxxis but had to get what I could find locally. I messed around and didn't order it soon enough. Thanks, I'll give it a shot.
I've never tried them, but when I get my xr4 road legal in the spring, those are what I'm going with. Doesn't seem like anyone has anything bad to say about them.

1 hour ago, Scott_321 said:

Kosmic why do you specify "not desert" in your post and what's different about it vs the regular IT? Desert IT's are usually on the shelf everywhere around here too.

Because I run bib mousse and they don't work well (at all) with 6 ply tires. Pretty much impossible to mount and if you somehow can it will be super stiff with that thick carcass. Regular IT is 4 ply, Desert It is 6 ply.

Desert IT would work better without bibs though. I know the Tubliss guys like them, but they're running <10 PSI with them. I assume they'd be good for tube guys that want to mitigate pinch flats.

Some of the Kenda rears are decent, but I didn't care for the fronts. I'm super picky on fronts though and very not picky about rears. Front I like something that is super grippy. Rear I just want durability.

11 hours ago, stillsmokin658 said:

shit ass tire I’d rip every knobb off in 2 rides

What, the Kenda Parker?  I sincerely doubt it.  The old version yes, not the new one.

11 hours ago, Kosmic said:

Because I run bib mousse and they don't work well (at all) with 6 ply tires. Pretty much impossible to mount and if you somehow can it will be super stiff with that thick carcass. Regular IT is 4 ply, Desert It is 6 ply.

You can mount them using a Rabaconda tire machine.