Leaky VP Racing fuel jug, any tips?

I have a white VP Racing fuel jug that likes to leak at the junction between the jug and cap.  I can get it sung, but if I try to really tighten it, it pops off the threads. Anybody run into similar issues?  Is there a better O-Ring design out there or do I need a new cap or complete jug?

I've seen jugs where the sealing surface at the top of the jug wasn't flat.  No way that is going to seal.  Take a close look and make sure there isn't any excess plastic from the mold preventing the cap from sealing.  You can sand it with some fine sand paper to get it flat.

How old is it? If reasonably new I would contact VP and explain the issue. It could be a liability concern, possibility a replacement. I would never transport/use a leaky gas container.

Edited by Piney Woods
  • Like 1

New caps and gaskets are not too expensive.  Either the can or the cap has gotten out of round from heat/pressure-something.  

I have an older round VP tank that I had found on the side of the highway one afternoon.  I just bought a new cap/hose assembly this past summer for it as the tank, while well worn, is otherwise sound.  

2 hours ago, Ben500RR-S said:

New caps and gaskets are not too expensive.  Either the can or the cap has gotten out of round from heat/pressure-something.  

I have an older round VP tank that I had found on the side of the highway one afternoon.  I just bought a new cap/hose assembly this past summer for it as the tank, while well worn, is otherwise sound.  

And they are very cheap on ebay.

7 minutes ago, alpha_tango_victor said:

I've had mixed success with ebay purchases, any specific listing I should look at?

Just make sure it's genuine VP.

I have also seen VP jugs and parts at my local Pep Boys.  Yes, get genuine stuff, not the knockoff stuff.  Sometimes it is worth ordering direct or from a known retailer and NOT eBay.  

6 minutes ago, Ben500RR-S said:

I have also seen VP jugs and parts at my local Pep Boys.  Yes, get genuine stuff, not the knockoff stuff.  Sometimes it is worth ordering direct or from a known retailer and NOT eBay.  

I recently ordered a hose and the fitting that goes into the top of the cap off ebay.  Was genuine VP and considerably cheaper.

• Like 1