trail maintenance survey

Hello, we are doing a class project on trail maintenance. Please fill out the following survey if you are willing. Thanks!

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeD7TidoXKYBgN_YWE0RfNI3YfUzllmWee7CY2BinxwQblbpg/viewform?usp=sf_link

Thanks for all of your input! We are doing a project for a senior engineering class that requires us to gain information about a real-world problem and solve it. All of us in my group being outdoorsy people/dirt bike riders, agreed that cutting trials and maintaining them is a constant problem, keeping us from our riding time. Especially in Missouri, we have a problem with thick underbrush and have heard of many other people complaining about the same thing. 

Glanced at the questions, I just wonder what kind of conclusions you are going to drawl from them.  Survey's are always tricky because you want them to be simple but at the same time you might miss important points.

One question was something, what problems do you have with trails?  Obviously this is going to be area specific, maybe a question asking general location might not be a terrible idea.  My trail problems are going to be different than someone in Arizona, Florida and Pacific NW.

On top of that, not everyone has the same idea of a trail problem.  One of the options was "rocks"  I never have a problem with rocks, not because there are not any but because i like them and typically seek them out.  

Another question,  Time spent maintaining trails?   Personally i don't spend much time at all "maintaining" trails.  Once they are cut in they require little upkeep as long as they are ridden except for one very specific area i ride where the Japanese Knot weed grows so fast it needs taken care of about twice a season.  I do however spend a good bit of time cutting in fresh trails, that is what chews up my time.  I spent probably close to 6 hrs cutting new trail on the last 2 Sundays, that trail can't be much more than a few 100yrds long as of now.  It was thick, but some places just require a little clearing of the line of sight and you can do a mile of trails quick.  

$ spent per year on trail maintenance?  After initial investment of tools the cost is next to nothing.  Carry around a folding hand saw, loppers, machete or hatchet and you are pretty much good to go.  

• Like 1

Like most surveys, the questions are very general. All good points made by subxero. Our Florida riding area was shut down over the summer over insurance issues. When we recently returned to it, a morning of maintenance on ~15 miles of single track by about a dozen of us made it rideable again. To muddy the waters even more, our club puts on competition events on private properties where we only have access for around 6 or 8 weekends a year. These areas often require extensive clearing, but perhaps shouldn't be considered maintenance because of just a short time of access.  Why consider any of this as a "real world problem"? Hunger, pollution, and overpopulation are real world problems. 

FWIW, if your group is truly outdoorsy, a couple weekend mornings, enough enthusiasts, a good plan (you're engineering students), and the right tools will get it done. Good riding to you.

IMG_2016.jpg.ec1d98b6c797d92e5f179f22807cb968.jpg

• Like 1