85cc trail bike ?

Looking to buying my son a 85cc for mainly trail ride. which brand is best for trail riding? Kx , sx , yz , cr ? I plan on buy a 2017 or newer

Looking to buying my son a 85cc for mainly trail ride. which brand is best for trail riding? Kx , sx , yz , cr ? I plan on buy a 2017 or newer

Good for you and lucky your son.

Age and height/weight?

Since you said “85” cc I presume you mean a 2-stroke? There is be a big difference between, for example, a YZ85 and a TTR90.

YZ, KX, CR etc. are motocross race bikes, none of them make very good recreational trail bikes.

This thread will likely get moved to the 'what bike should I buy' forum,

more infos required like: age, height, weight, experience etc.

Edited by mlatour

He likes the 2 stroke it has more pull in the deep sand. He is 4’6” and 75lbs without gear. He is currently riding a KX65 and a ktm sxs 65. The sxs has a lot more low end then Kx. The Kx is great 65 but you have to stay on pipe. The sxs he could stop in the middle of a sand hill and slowly ride up it. I’m just wondering what new 85 would be best for fast trail riding.

I know they are not made for trailing but no one makes a true fast trail bike that I know of.

Can you please be more specific. Do you want a 85cc MX bike for competition? or a small bike to ride trails? They are very different. MX bikes can be ridden in the woods but they really are designed for an open MX track

My take from this comparison is the KX will make a better trail machine. Better low to mid power, forgiving brakes, softer suspension.
https://motocrossactionmag.com/mxas-2014-85cc-two-stroke-shootout-husqvarna-tc85-vs-kawasaki-kx85-vs-ktm-85sx-vs-yamaha-yz85/

Yamaha’s YZ85 is significant redone for 2019. Worth investigating. Maybe you can do to it like what some do to the “MX” YZ250 to make them closer to the “cross country” YZ250X.

I dont know anything about the yz remake. The old model did not have an exhaust valve."power valve". Low end was horrible. 

Kx or Sx. Sx has fantastic low end for a small MX engine. 

If he can handle the added seat height consider a kx  100 or 105sx. Itll take longer to out grow. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jimwil1 said:

What mods would help best for trail riding?

Most common mods for converting MX bikes into better suited trail / off-road unfortunately can't apply to mini due to lack of interchangeability

(wider ratio gearbox, 18" rear wheel, gnarly pipe etc.)

Best bet IMO is:

-crisp jetting, likely a bit leaner pilot and needle than stock (less prone to spooge and foul)

-low flash point premix (less prone to spooge and foul)

-flywheel weight (more tractability, less prone to stalling, a tad slower to rev up but same HP on top)

-reducing / optimizing the squish band height (runs crisper on the bottom)

Tires and final drive gearing best suited to the terrain and skill of the rider.

Mini MX bike could be fun to trail ride in open terrain but, very miserable in tighter technical stuff.

2T minis are also noisy (versus true trail bikes), a consideration if riding near populated areas.

Edited by mlatour

As mentioned in my earlier thread, I don't think FMF manufactures a Gnarly pipe for any mini, they don't even make them for 125's

as they are small bore MX race engines designed to scream, not to lug around.     Only Gnarly I've read about are for 200cc + engines.

Edited by mlatour

My son didnt care for a flywheel weight. While it did make the mid hit milder off idle + was fluffy and slowed.  He prefered rich jetting to aid roll on. Spooge wipes off. 

Tons of kids and small adults ride minis/super minis offroad.  They arent perfect bur the options are very limited.

If the power on the pipe is spooky add a machine bushing(washer) in the head pipe. Itll need a MUCH smaller main jet. The hole diameter sets the upper rpm output. The restriction aids low rpm power.

• Like 1

The main thing I’m looking for is a bike with good low end. I know some 2 strokes you have to be on the pipe always. But I guess it seems like all the newer ones have power valves now. Is one brand known for have more low end then the others?

I dont know anything about the yz remake. The old model did not have an exhaust valve."power valve". Low end was horrible. 
 Kx or Sx. Sx has fantastic low end for a small MX engine. 
 If he can handle the added seat height consider a kx  100 or 105sx. Itll take longer to out grow. 

New YZ has a power valve.