why are CR500's so much money?

Here in New England, you're lucky if you can find any for 3K. Most are 4-6K. Never rode one, so I have to ask, were they that good?

no they are just rare and it has the infamous title if the fastest 2 stroke ever made. kind of like the holy grail of 2 strokes except they aren't actually as good as people seam to think. definitely fast but hard to use that kind of abrupt power

• Like 1

Everyone and their brother wants to make a AF. Most cant even ride a 250 and still make them, where someone like me could use a 500 engine but Cant get one here very easily anymore😔  in upstate New York for less than 3K and thats a beat one. I did race a new cr500 in '96 as a teen tho

• Like 1

Back in 2004 I sold my 1990 cr500 for $1100 and was glad to get that. Nobody wanted one then. Since then A lot of 500s were scrapped or turned into AF bikes. 

Now for some reason people are wanting them again. Maybe it's nostalgia like me who owned one wants another. Maybe its like the old muscle car of bikes. It's not the best, not the fastest it's just raw power . A $5000 CR500 is a little more affordable than a 69 Pontiac GTO.

I've owned a few CR500s over the years my favorite was the 1985. I sold that bike in 1988 and regret it. I've been wanting one again for a long time but didn't want to spend the $$$. Even the bikes for $3000 needed a lot of work. On Monday I finally bought a 1985 cr500 for $950. Yes it needs work. It's going to take about $2000 to get it back into great shape. So I'll have $3000 into the bike but it will be nice. 

The price on these bikes will be what the market will bare. Only time will tell if the price will keep going up.

And if you haven't experienced a 500 2st you don't know what your missing.

• Like 1

Service honda and the web made doing an AF conversion mainstream. Having plenty of rolling chassis with blown or worn out 4 stroke motors has created a strong market for the motor which has driven up the price of the complete bike and or motor which in many cases is worth as much as a complete bike. A CR500 motor can be tuned to produce many different power deliveries styles, all fast, some very fast. They will last a very long time with no maintenance other than air filters and gear oil. That and the power make them very sought after. I build them and ship over seas regularly with steady demand for the last 5 or more years at least.

• Like 2

I'm hoping to own one in the next few days....if everything goes according to plan.

$6500ish for them (or a KX when available) here.

I want one coz I've never had a 500, and as I was into mx through the 80's and the 500's were the ultimate goal so to speak. No-one cared who was the 125 or 250 champ, you had to win the open class to be anyone.

Were they that good? Probably not, but I want one anyway.

Edited by DEATH_INC.

Because they are panty droppers. DUH. Any girl who sees you riding that beast of a 500cc 2 stroke will gladly ride your face and cup your balls. You can't put a price on hardcore, effortless sex.

• Haha 1

I rode an 87 CR500  way back and did not like it at all. Between the vibration and arm pump it was a task just ride it. I  could see it useful on dunes and if you throw on a  timbersled kits for the winter. I also rode a kx500 and thought it was a better machine all around. 

Edited by primerib108
  • Like 1

They weren't the fastest, but they were not slouches either. They didn't have the best suspension, but that can be easily modified. Like any open class bike they could be a bitch to start, but boy would they bark. They are rather rare, and becoming more rare all the time (in good shape). The air cooled one has become very collectable, which is helping drive the prices up on the water pumpers. Here in the desert you'll typically find them wearing a paddle tire and flying in the dunes. Or in some guy's living room impeccably restored. And as long as people are speculating investment wise, the prices will continue to rise. Which means if ya gotta have one, ya better find one you can kinda afford sooner rather than later.

CR500 wasnt the most powerful open class bike but probably the most rideable.  When people talk about the crazy easy to be out of control power of a cr500 I have to wonder what bike they are talking about.  Yeah it''s got power but I didnt find it crazy at all unless you tried to ride it like a 250 but even then I didnt find it all that much, just missing the point of the motor.

Lug it my brothers, LUG it.  Once you learn to ride it one, two, or even three gears high you will understand.  When I got mine and started to figure it out, my normally faster buds on the trail where now right there, or holding me up and I wasnt even trying.  Traction was amazing, no more rowing the gear box, just GO.   Make a mistake and your trail buds are a bit too far ahead of you, just whip out enough throttle and your back again.

They're not for everybody, and they arent perfect.   They do vibrate, but while riding you dont think about it.  They are heavy.  The motor is an easy 10lb more then my 300.  Kicking it over is a chore for some and harder for sure then a conventional bike but I never had an issue.  

There's a guy up in canada that is adapting a 500 jug onto a 300 counter balanced motor with estart.  It's expensive but I am thinking about it.  I miss the sound of my 2003 CR500AF.  Is there anything that sounds better?

Edited by Sycamore
  • Like 1

On 10/20/2018 at 9:09 AM, DEATH_INC. said:

I'm hoping to own one in the next few days....if everything goes according to plan.

Just quoting myself to say yes I did get one, an '87. Ridden it once now (suffering from a bad cold so it wasn't a real hard out session), and you know, it's actually a great bike. Power is plenty, but not as over the top as you read about, and very controllable. The biggest difference between it and My 09 Husky 450 (power wise) is that the 500 is more instant, it doesn't have to wind up to it, it's there right from idle.

Handling wise, it's no harder to throw around than the Husky, and the suspension which looks to be stock (has the stock shock spring anyhow) is not bad either, better than the stock husky setup, and WAY better than My '06 KTM250, just a little soft (coz I'm a fat bastard).

I felt real comfortable on it straight away too.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here, and , subject to a few more hours in the saddle, I'm going to say YES they are that good. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

How’s the vibration? I hear you really notice it on the longer rides but getting the crank balanced helps a lot. 

• Like 1

I know only one guy who could "actually" ride a CR500. Blew my mind in how well he could work the motor/chassis and still be fast AF. I rode a 08 CRF450/CR500 a couple years ago and was floored that when I was doing a hillclimb compared to my YZF 450, I had to actually shift up, not down as things kept going...Even to this day, it still makes my penis hard just thinking about it... 

• Like 1

On 10/26/2018 at 12:47 PM, Hans Schmid said:

I know only one guy who could "actually" ride a CR500. Blew my mind in how well he could work the motor/chassis and still be fast AF. I rode a 08 CRF450/CR500 a couple years ago and was floored that when I was doing a hillclimb compared to my YZF 450, I had to actually shift up, not down as things kept going...Even to this day, it still makes my penis hard just thinking about it... 

There were several out here in AZ.  They had em first and walked me through my frustration in the beginning.  I stuck with it and ended up as good or near as good as them.  One lesson was go WOT in third in SLOW tech and it will not stall.  It's  counter intuitive but it works.  No spinning, no lurching, no stalling, just pure traction being pulsed out to the ground.

The bad- vibration but not noticeable when riding.  The AF chasis with a 3g tank made the bike feel like a tank until you lost a gallon of fuel.  After that, pretty dang good.  Tall first gear.  In tech is was in issue for me, even geared REALLY low.  My buds put up with it but I went rekluse and it turned into a absolute trail weapon.   Over heating in tech.  Not as bad as a four stroke, but not as good as a 300.

I got rid of mine when my riding changed.  It ran too hot, and mpg sucked.  So riding it wasnt "exciting".  lol  With this new KTM converted to a 500 it has "peaked" my interest.  ;)  A cooling fan should do the trick on cooling, mpg should be great with a 6 speed W tranny, vibrating gone with a counter balancer, it has a lighting coil for lights for my summer DSing, and weight shouldnt increase much at all, especially that up high wieght the AF chasis had with a 3g tank.

I think I'm getting one. 

• Like 1

On 10/26/2018 at 12:52 PM, StevetheSnake said:

Useless compared to any of the newer 4 Ts. A vibration machine that wore you out. But at the time they were the machine. 

Such a bold burning bush statement.  lol  I think it is a true statement for many though. 

The cr500 isnt for everyone.  I think for mx a 450 might be better, dunno.  For off road and especially tech, most 450's are left behind.  They are heavy, steaming piles for most riders, however I've ridden with pro's that could make them work, I'm an A rider and I just found they were too much work. ;)  I've had them and like them a lot but they stayed home when the riding got tuff and out came my 2 stroke.  

KTM 4s with a FAN has change the steaming quotient a lot though.  My 450 never steamed with one, but it was heavy and not near as fun as my cr500 in tech. 

The cr500 and kx500 WERE the most powerful bikes back then. Take the nostalgia out of the premix and you should come to the conclusion the new 450s are making a few more ponies on max hp and in the rev range 450s can have as much as 20 more horses then a 500. They have a powerband about as wide as a shoelace and vibrate rediculously. I raced them in the 90s as a teen, they were and are fun....but when people who have never ridden one say how much faster it is then a 450 i walk away, thats not true at any part of the powerband, and i think the dyno shows the 450 makes 32 more horsepower at 9k rpm. 500 hondas do not have a power valve, the power cant be extended like other 2 strokes. You can pile it up top or in the bottom but it will always be piled up somewhere.

Um true statement out this way in So. Cal. I owned a 89’ CR500 for years and years along side the first aluminum frame 07’ WR450. No fan on either bike so me and many of the hard core riders used straight antifreeze which works to not boil over. (It doesn't work in very cold areas as it can freeze in +8 degree weather.)

The CR was ridden less and less. When the built WR450 out climbed the CR I sold the CR. It was the go to bike for years and years though. A excellent rider could still do well even today with one. But like I said  they are a handful to ride. Especially on long rides. 

This is the built 480cc 07’ WR doing its thing. The video doesn’t show how long and steep this hill is. Especially at the top.

This is a CR500 and my son on his 17’ KTM500 you can see what it did to the CR. The KTM500 was on the right. 

Its too bad I don’t have any videos of the CR500. But they didn’t have good cell phones back in those days. 😉

Edited by StevetheSnake

I should also say that the first low boy 1989’ CR500 was absolutely the machine of its day. It was way better than my built 1984 TT600. Let’s face it bikes evolve and just get better and better. I now own a 18’ KTM 500 when something comes out that’s better I will sell it and move on.  Many of the bikes I owned I remember fondly. 

Here is the built TT600 doing its thing nailing down a first place at a race here in So. Ca. 

4D117C13-58CE-47BE-84F2-ED8831D6E719.jpeg

F2DA52A5-C674-4E74-973A-73D42D0E9512.jpeg

Edited by StevetheSnake
  • Like 1