XRs Only Exhaust for 1983 XR200R

That header is bent to fit the 86+ chassis and it has a 1 3/8" OD outlet that is much larger than stock. Good news is it is stainless steel.

The gasket on the muffler inlet is very thick on the late bikes and my memory is also on the early. If so it can be enlarged to suit the header. The header is almost 1/2" shorter than stock but long enough to seal in the late muffler.

The problem may be the end of the header will not be in the correct position to mate to the muffler on the early bike.

And you can adapt the stock heat shield to the XRsOnly header by using two hose clamps to hold nuts for the heat shield bolts.

If you buy one let us know how it fits. 

Another option is find a used 1 1/2" OD Powroll XR185/200 header, or buy the Powroll CRF230F version but its end will be in the wrong position. Cut and weld is the fix.

The XRsOnly header is my favorite on the XR200 engines.

• Like 1

This isn't about the '83 or earlier, but I figured while we're on the subject I would ask. 

Xrs Only states they can't guarantee the header fits other brands of mufflers. 

I have an FMF pc4 on my '90 XR200R. Anybody know if there's any fitment issues going from the XRs Only header to an FMF muffler? 

• Like 1

Previous post are probably correct as XRsOnly says the header is designed for their exhaust system not OEM.

That is why I found the header a bit shorter than OEM.

A few years ago I tried to buy a XR200 Powroll 1 1/2" header for a project bike and was told it was discontinued, but the CRF230F header would fit the engine and the exit point could be modded to suit the  XR200 chassis. I had done similar mods to adapt the Powroll header to a RM chassis and it involved one saw cut and a few degrees of rotation and rewelding. I've also done similar mods to mid pipes when adapting other mufflers to the XR200 chassis. Often a good mechanic in a muffler shop will be willing to help, I had that luck with a local shop with a mechanic doing side work. Another resource was a header mfg in the next town and the lead, or supv, fabbed an adapter with such a tight slip fit I didn't need clamps.:banana:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The XRs Only headpipe fits perfect.  I also bought an FMF Powercore 4 muffler and it was fairly easy to adapt it.  The headpipe was slightly larger but I cut the end off of the stock headpipe and it had a ring that fit perfectly.  I left about 2" of the pipe that slipped into the end and helped seal off the FMF pipe.  I also cut slots in the end of the new headpipe so that the clamp would make the pipe seal on the FMF side.  I had to use the side cover mount for the muffler with an adapter washer that reduced it from 8mm to 6mm.  The lower bracket I modified by heating it with a torch and bending it to fit the frame bracket.  Too late tonight but I will fire it up tomorrow!:banana:

IMAG0379a.jpg

IMAG0455a.jpg

IMAG0468.jpg

IMAG0470a.jpg

IMAG0471a.jpg

IMAG0472a.jpg

Looks good! That's a nice looking bike, as well as the exhaust on it, especially for an '83. I have the same muffler on my '90 and I really like how it sounds. 

Sometimes I really wish it sounded like one of those 450's I hear bangin through the trails, it rings out and you can hear it over everything, echoing out of the woods, like it's just a bad ass mean bike hunting you down!

But then I think, mine is loud enough, I don't think I could handle listening to that for hours on end while riding through the woods. 

• Like 1

On 11/6/2018 at 6:48 PM, CelticDude said:

The XRs Only headpipe fits perfect.  I also bought an FMF Powercore 4 muffler and it was fairly easy to adapt it.  The headpipe was slightly larger but I cut the end off of the stock headpipe and it had a ring that fit perfectly.  I left about 2" of the pipe that slipped into the end and helped seal off the FMF pipe.  I also cut slots in the end of the new headpipe so that the clamp would make the pipe seal on the FMF side.  I had to use the side cover mount for the muffler with an adapter washer that reduced it from 8mm to 6mm.  The lower bracket I modified by heating it with a torch and bending it to fit the frame bracket.  Too late tonight but I will fire it up tomorrow!:banana:

IMAG0379a.jpg

IMAG0455a.jpg

IMAG0468.jpg

IMAG0470a.jpg

IMAG0471a.jpg

IMAG0472a.jpg

Is that muffler for a later model xr200?

On 11/7/2018 at 10:43 AM, chadzu said:

That looks sweet!  I didn't know FMF had a muffler for the 200.

I too found the FMF P4 years ago and run in conjunction with the XRs Only header. Been running it on my '87 200 for almost a decade and love the fact that it has a spark arrestor for when i was back in California. Fairly quiet but still has a nice throaty sound. 

20170716_123011.jpg

• Like 1

On 11/8/2018 at 9:10 PM, Chuck. said:

Sound sure can be different with different headers and/or mufflers. The disc type of muffler do sound different than the OEM resonator type of mufflers. I prefer the sound of the OEM mufflers over the disc style so I'm using a CRF250X muffler on my XR218.

Chuck I have xrs only header.How much work is it to fit crf 250x muffler? 

Edited by vulcanduro

The CRF250X muffler is a nice stainless steel unit but when attached to the XRsOnly header  doesn't point the muffler high enough to clear the brake caliper on full suspension compression, or for the muffler to bolt to the XR frame. In 07 or 08 Honda welded the insert into the end cap. And most of the early mufflers I've found on ebay did not have the insert. :banghead:
Early end caps have "A1' late have "A2".

Early end cap with insert and an ad on down turned tip for another 2-3db of sound reduction.

P1000797.JPG.084a9c75c54c1b1442f786ff3572c686.JPG

Early end cap showing "KSC A1" in lower right, and no insert. "KSC" is the Honda Product code for the CRF250X.

399382727_CRF250XMuffler.thumb.JPG.89909b627598dc0906fde0c3f4244505.JPG

Next pic shows a replacement for the insert, it measures 1 1/2"OD 0.875"ID w/ a tapped hole to suit the insert retaining bolt. The CRF230F insert is also 1 1/2"OD but a little shorter than the X insert.
959796122_CRF250XPowerRingInsert.jpg.5222015a0e0a776b52ed16f9029b67bc.jpg

Three things to make it fit:
The XRsOnly header has a 1 3/8" OD the CRF250 has a 1 1/2" inlet, (so do the XR250R mufflers). I rolled a sleeve from 0.060 sheet plus some red RTV and got a nice fit. Sleeve on XRsOnly header.

2132764182_XRsOnlyPipewsleeve.JPG.061ebdbbb4aef660055e3d4a7e84d5d4.JPG

The mid pipe bend is wrong as is the mid pipe mount, a pie cut to raise the muffler was all I needed. I relocated the mid pipe mount to match the XR frame mount point. 
The muffler mount is also off a bit and depending on how you mod the mid pipe  you may not need to relocate the mount, jut elongate the slot a bit.

Edited by Chuck.
  • Like 1

Pete at Powroll told me that a stepped header provided the best broad power and that the XRsOnly headers was close to his perfect header. I built a system based on his guidance and I extended the XRsOnly header exit size past the frame mount and then transitioned to  a 1 3/4" mid pipe to a XR400 Supertrap IDS2 muffler (1 3/4" ID). I ran that system for years on a Powroll XR218 engine, then after some tests switched to a CRF250X muffler and mid pipe (1 1/2"OD). The CRF250X muffler has caused some part throttle jetting issues without the insert but runs good with the stock insert. 

20 minutes ago, chadzu said:

I added a turn down to the BBR exhaust on my xr230 . I was surprised at how much difference it actually made to projected sound.

+1 to this. I added a spark arrester with a turn down to the FMF can on my CRF150R/B and it really helped tame the bark of that little bitch.