Do Neoprene Seal Savers hurt the DLC coating on forks?

Hey ThumperTalk,

I bought some sweet Ohlins forks and shock for my RM250. They’re, absolutely amazing BTW. I highly recommend them. The previous owner only used seal skins on them, because the rm fork guards didn’t line up on the lower clamps. I’ve found that Honda ones and KTM ones do, and ordered a set today. I considered still keeping the seal savers as well, because I ride in rocky/wet/muddy terrain. But just thought “will the consistent rubbing of the neoprene be bad on the DLC coating of the forks?” Anybody know if that’s true or not???

Probably not but like was said all the trapped debris will act like sand paper. Best to clean every ride.

• Like 2

Seal savers do not do what they say. Better to have the fork exposed then a dirty sock constantly rubbing on them.

• Like 2

They also push water into the fork!

• Like 1

Thank you all for the unanimous advice. They are gone. :-)))

Have them Love them. '07 WR450 till '17, 9000k of mud, rock and sand. Yes, serviced every year...but only two sets of seals ever needed. Got 'em on my '17 now too.

Personally like them, been using on a 2010 Husaberg FE570 since almost new and never had a seal leak. I was constantly cleaning the seals and on my grandson Ktm 105, put a set on them and no more leaks. I use the short sets and only put about an 1" below the seal. Also I did not remove the fork covers. I have read were they hold debris and it cuts into the fork, but I never experienced that.

Back in the day, there were bellows/boot around the forks. This was a better idea but not perfect. 

I personally don't think it's the seal savers that are keeping there guys from blown seals. I have a 2012 KTM and still have original fork seals installed with out issues and i am not using  "seal savers".

• Like 1