'19 CRF450 bars

Just broke in my '19 this weekend. Love the bike but I really wish they hadn't changed the bars, the bend on the new fat bars is noticeably lower than the 971's on the '17 and I don't think I'll be able to get used to it. I've looked for a 1 1/8" bar (Renthal, ProTaper, etc.) that would replicate the dimensions of the 971's and can't find anything close enough (Renthal has a really cool visual comparison tool on their website), so I'm thinking I might just get a set of 971's and bar mounts from the 17/18 to convert it back to 7/8".  Anyone know if this would work with the stock '19 top triple clamp? I'd like to think the bar mounts would be compatible with the new triple clamps but want to verify before ordering stuff.

Also, anyone tried the Mika Metals bar mounts? They look really nice, just wondering if they replicate the OEM height and offset exactly, or not.

• Like 1

1 1/8” twin wall bends that are as close to stock would be the Stewart or the Reed but I am sure you know that from using the Renthal tool you speak of on their website.

8 minutes ago, txjeffro301 said:

1 1/8” twin wall bends that are as close to stock would be the Stewart or the Reed but I am sure you know that from using the Renthal tool you speak of on their website.

yeah, I looked at 'em all! Don't know why they didn't just make a 1-1/8" version of the 971 ☹️

• Like 1

Have you rode with them for some hours to get truly adapted to the new bend? I switched to the 996 villopoto/stewart bend years ago. I'm six foot, and always thought I needed a tall bar. The 996's felt extremely awkward to me at first but as time went on I found I loved having a low wide bar with minimal sweep as it gave me great control during cornering.

I'm stoked on the new stock bend! This is the first fatbar I've used. During my first 30 minutes on my 19 I didn't find it to flex that much though. Kinda felt similar to a twinwall which was surprising. 

13 hours ago, Jdunn217 said:

Have you rode with them for some hours to get truly adapted to the new bend? I switched to the 996 villopoto/stewart bend years ago. I'm six foot, and always thought I needed a tall bar. The 996's felt extremely awkward to me at first but as time went on I found I loved having a low wide bar with minimal sweep as it gave me great control during cornering.

I'm stoked on the new stock bend! This is the first fatbar I've used. During my first 30 minutes on my 19 I didn't find it to flex that much though. Kinda felt similar to a twinwall which was surprising. 

I plan to ride with them a couple more times before making a decision, but I really loved the 971's, they just felt perfect to me, no trouble cornering and much more balanced body position for jumps and rough sections. I do appreciate the feedback though!

11 hours ago, matte said:

I plan to ride with them a couple more times before making a decision, but I really loved the 971's, they just felt perfect to me, no trouble cornering and much more 

q d body position for jumps and rough sections. I do appreciate the feedback though!

If you're dead set on switching back to 7/8 mounts, I'm sure the stock rubber cones are the same so any mounts should work. I think bar mounts/cones are pretty universal for the most part.

14 hours ago, Jdunn217 said:

If you're dead set on switching back to 7/8 mounts, I'm sure the stock rubber cones are the same so any mounts should work. I think bar mounts/cones are pretty universal for the most part.

It's not so much that I want 7/8" bars, I just want the same height as the 971's, the only fat bars I could find that would give the desired height all have way too much sweep. The '19 OEM bars would be fine if they were just a bit higher (I like the sweep). I found out yesterday that Ride Engineering makes 5 and 10mm spacers (intended for their bar mounts, but would probably work fine on the OEM mounts, at least as a quick test). I need to see how much extra thread is available on the OEM mounts (forgot to look last night), but I'm sure the 5mm spacers would be fine.

All the 17-18 clamps should work, I have a set of the Mika 1-1/8 bar mounts they seem same as stock. I currently run ride bars and there clamps I have the tall spacers but run them stock height, the risers come with longer studs.  I run the Mika bars personally love the MC bend I’m 5’11 used to run high bars but really like the feel of the Mc bend.

On 10/15/2018 at 1:43 PM, matte said:

Just broke in my '19 this weekend. Love the bike but I really wish they hadn't changed the bars, the bend on the new fat bars is noticeably lower than the 971's on the '17 and I don't think I'll be able to get used to it. I've looked for a 1 1/8" bar (Renthal, ProTaper, etc.) that would replicate the dimensions of the 971's and can't find anything close enough (Renthal has a really cool visual comparison tool on their website), so I'm thinking I might just get a set of 971's and bar mounts from the 17/18 to convert it back to 7/8".  Anyone know if this would work with the stock '19 top triple clamp? I'd like to think the bar mounts would be compatible with the new triple clamps but want to verify before ordering stuff.

Also, anyone tried the Mika Metals bar mounts? They look really nice, just wondering if they replicate the OEM height and offset exactly, or not.

I sort of just went down this road on my 08 450R,..  I have the Renthal 971's on it as well, and I really like them... I tired to a cross reference and wasn't having much luck so I contacted Pro Taper and they said (and I double checked the dimensions..) that the Windham /RM Mid was very close to the 971. Also, the Renthal Fat Bar 604-01 is basically the same exact bend.. but it is a tad taller/higher. 

I’ve got 997(RC) twinwalls which are very comfortable. This is pretty much the same bend as the 971 7/8(RC).

The old(09-12)HRC mount fits the newer bikes(17-18), so I would imagine there is little difference in the clamp configration.

The twinwalls are amazing and last for ages.