oh look another suspension question

2017 250rr front endis sketchy as hell for me and im looking for the broke mans way of trying to fix it.....

im sure im not the only person who finds the front end  on the bike to be very twitchy. It deflects off of everything i touch and i never trust it powering hard around corners. it gives me that tire on ice kind of sensation.   I had the rear shock away to my Closest suspension shop to have a seal replaced and i asked about changing spring rates, but they told me i either have to eat more food or loose weight as im right on the cusp.  so it was never changed.    I have the sag set at about 112 if i remember right and ive messed with the clickers but cant find a happy place.     Is there anything people are doing thst doesnt cost a fortune to calm these bikes down a little???

quick info about me    6 foot tall, 189 pounds  im a Novice A/ intermediate racer   ride everything from sand to jagged rock  oh and im suspension tuning handicapped lol

Im 185lbs no gear and run a .46 / .56 (2 sizes up from stock).  This made a big difference in plushness and confidence.  The revalve after this made it even better.  That coupled with a GT fatty up front calmed down the front end quite a bit for me at speed.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bbde17 said:

2017 250rr front endis sketchy as hell for me and im looking for the broke mans way of trying to fix it.....

im sure im not the only person who finds the front end  on the bike to be very twitchy. It deflects off of everything i touch and i never trust it powering hard around corners. it gives me that tire on ice kind of sensation.   I had the rear shock away to my Closest suspension shop to have a seal replaced and i asked about changing spring rates, but they told me i either have to eat more food or loose weight as im right on the cusp.  so it was never changed.    I have the sag set at about 112 if i remember right and ive messed with the clickers but cant find a happy place.     Is there anything people are doing thst doesnt cost a fortune to calm these bikes down a little???

quick info about me    6 foot tall, 189 pounds  im a Novice A/ intermediate racer   ride everything from sand to jagged rock  oh and im suspension tuning handicapped lol

Dump the stock pieces of shit tires. That’s the first thing for all Betas for where I ride. That’s simple to start. Lots of others say the same thing. Got any video of your type of riding area? I’d say use what vet riders use for tires for where you ride. My 300 rr was night and day better just with good rubber.  Do that to start.. later put springs for your weight with all your gear on. If you are riding A you might go even one step higher in stifness for springs . I’m 230 in street clothes but run my springs around 270lbs . It’s great for as little as Ive done. I’m riding single track and race hare scrambles 

Edited by hawaiidirtrider
  • Like 1

Dump the stock pieces of shit tires. That’s the first thing for all Betas for where I ride. Lots of others say the same thing. Got any video of your type of riding area? I’d say use what vet riders use for tires for where you ride. My 300 rr was night and day better just with good rubber. 

Our riding season is pretty much over for the year now. I have plans on changing the front tire. My buddy has a maxxis max cross lt on his ktm and really likes it. I may go that route. I’ve been through a couple rear tires already but plan on either a moto z arena hybrid. Or the kinda equilibrium. Just can’t decide on which I wanna try first lol

33 minutes ago, bbde17 said:

Our riding season is pretty much over for the year now. I have plans on changing the front tire. My buddy has a maxxis max cross lt on his ktm and really likes it. I may go that route. I’ve been through a couple rear tires already but plan on either a moto z arena hybrid. Or the kinda equilibrium. Just can’t decide on which I wanna try first lol

Lots of choices out there. I like the motoz ht front 90/100-21 and the Kenda ibex 120 is great for where I ride. The 505 shinko is good too. Lots of good choices and all are better than stock. 

• Like 1

If you are running stock spring rates; you are under sprung. As others have posted use the Beta rates based on being geared up, this is what I was directed to do by two different suspension shops and I went up accordingly and it helped.

I hadn’t checked any of the spring charts yet. I did think it was odd the suspension shop saying I was on the fence for weight. Normally I’m too heavy for stock springs. That may have to go on the Xmas list to Santa this year
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, bbde17 said:

IMG_3237.JPG

I mean if It wouldn’t end up in a divorce I’d really
Like to try a set of these. But it just isn’t in the cards hahah

My buddy got a set of these and loves it. I might go this route too at some time in the future  .. but really I can’t complain much with the stock OC fork with stiffer springs. Works good to me for trail and hare scrambles. The cool thing is when I do get something like endurospec cartridges it will be a cheap investment compared to getting a new bike and it will feel like I’m getting a new bike. 

2 hours ago, bbde17 said:

I hadn’t checked any of the spring charts yet. I did think it was odd the suspension shop saying I was on the fence for weight. Normally I’m too heavy for stock springs. That may have to go on the Xmas list to Santa this year

http://www.motosupply.com/beta-motorcycles-beta-300rr250rr-beta-stroke-spring-chart-p-1219.html

You're over-tall, over-weight, and over-fast if truly an A rider. Hell C is over-fast for the stock setup, especially if racing. Consult a professional!

Hahah. Can’t say I’ve ever felt the want to be short, skinny and slow before hahah
  • Haha 1

Hahah. Can’t say I’ve ever felt the want to be short, skinny and slow before hahah

I also hate using race classes as an example because they mean different things. The series I race in Ontario it goes. Nov C, nov b, nov a, intermediate, expert, pro. I’m a nov a or slow intermediate guy
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, WILLY THE WORT said:

Raise the tubes in the clamps 10mm.

Change your sag to  be 5mm less

Go in 5 clicks on your fork compression, and 2 on rebound

That will probably solve the problem, but cause others.

You need better spring rates and better fork valving.

10 hours ago, WILLY THE WORT said:

Raise the tubes in the clamps 10mm.

Change your sag to  be 5mm less

Go in 5 clicks on your fork compression, and 2 on rebound

That will probably solve the problem, but cause others.

You need better spring rates and better fork valving.

when you say "IN"  im assuming you mean counter clockwise till they stop then IN ( clockwise) 5 comp and 2 rebound?  

IMG_3237.thumb.JPG.d5bd9ce8030399936e35640677427a81.JPG

I mean if It wouldn’t end up in a divorce I’d really
Like to try a set of these. But it just isn’t in the cards hahah

I’m a c rider with little suspension knowledge but I’m on my second rr 300 and have always ditch the stock tires and springs and then used the proper springs and sag for my weight.

Makes a big difference ur springs are way off for your weight.

Then I sent forks for the inserts and shock off for the revalve and Warren made a believer out of me.

I would consider the divorce [emoji38] and just do it. I would do this upgrade again and again the clicker setting was even spot on
  • Haha 1

As others have said, sag & spring rates first. If you run too much sag, the front tyre will not bite when cornering no matter what brand it is. 

I’m 95kg onboard, run stock sag with 0.46 & 5.6 and the bike steers & tracks well.

I’m no A-grader, but If you’re “ass-cracking” the seat when sitting & sticking your butt out to the opposite side you’re cornering when on the pegs in standing attack, I reckon the Beta’s a sweet-handling chassis stock.