brent214

18 FC350 Rear too plush

When I charge a set of whoops the rear-end will smack me in the butt. Should I adjust the rebound before opting to go stiffer on the spring rate? I weigh 175 without gear.

IMG_1640.JPG

Springs hold the bike up and valving controls the speed of movement. Your sag will tell you if you need another rate spring. Have you measured/set it?? Set sag first before any clickers adjustments.  Drag the rear brake to help settle the bike.

• Like 1

I weigh about the same as you, same bike. Spring seemed good for me. Sag at 105mm. With some clicker settings, should be good to go w/o swapping spring. Also making sure you have the fork dialed in does effect the fr/bk bias of the bike. The AER tends to ride high in the stroke. 

Either the rear is blowing through the stroke and running out of travel too soon (needs more high speed compression) or it is packing (compressing and taking to long to de-compress: less rebound is needed)

The stock valving is rudimentary.....

• Like 1

I have a ktm 500 exc and just went through this. Add a lot more rebound dampening first, then increase low speed, and last high speed. Don’t be afraid to use all the clicks to maximum in, they’re there to be used. Since rear shocks have a low, high and rebound adjustment they can usually be dialed in pretty well which I just learned.

Springs are more for handling like turning and keeping the tire planted while climbing a hill.

4 minutes ago, Deepseadan said:

I have a ktm 500 exc and just went through this. Add a lot more rebound dampening first, then increase low speed, and last high speed. Don’t be afraid to use all the clicks to maximum in, they’re there to be used. Since rear shocks have a low, high and rebound adjustment they can usually be dialed in pretty well which I just learned.

Springs are more for handling like turning and keeping the tire planted while climbing a hill.

It's best not to do this.

• Like 2

Does it do this because you chop the throttle? Under throttle? Improper riding position? Etc? Unfortunately it's not that simple but I would recommend doing some bracketing to find out what direction you need to go... 

Does it do this because you chop the throttle? Under throttle? Improper riding position? Etc? Unfortunately it's not that simple but I would recommend doing some bracketing to find out what direction you need to go... 

It happens more under throttle. Coming off an RMZ450 the whole rear feels soft/squishy overall perhaps due to the composite subframe. The harder I push the more the rear end gets unsettled even swapping side to side. I’m thinking of also sliding the rear axle block back to increase the wheelbase some.

I would try to identify if the rear is too lively and causing it to blow through the stroke too much (eventually getting more and more out of step) or if it is too dead-feeling and sorta packing up and start deflecting, then go from there. Just based on my own weight and a couple friends with this bike, I still think you are within the range of the stock spring. My friend is over 200lbs (Vet-A rider) and he went up a spring rate. And like I said, I feel like your fork settings effect the front-to-rear bias of the bike too, so some settings there may also play a role. 

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 4:53 PM, brent214 said:

Should I adjust the rebound before opting to go stiffer on the spring rate?

This statement right here tells me that he hasn't set his sag.  Since the sag would tell him where he fell on the spring rate with his weight.  This needs to be done first.

Once you get your sag set, assuming that your weight falls within the parameters of the current spring rate, then you can start identifying the adverse suspension actions as Hans said.

Don't do what Deepseadan said.  He basically made his shock into a strut.

Dave

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Decreasing Dave said:

This statement right here tells me that he hasn't set his sag.  Since the sag would tell him where he fell on the spring rate with his weight.  This needs to be done first.

Once you get your sag set, assuming that your weight falls within the parameters of the current spring rate, then you can start identifying the adverse suspension actions as Hans said.

Don't do what Deepseadan said.  He basically made his shock into a strut.

Dave

Yep! This was asked with the first reply.

Brent214...... It has been mentioned...... You need to set the sag.... period. If you don't know how to, get a shop to help and or do it.... You're not helping by guessing if the sag is set. Once the sag is set start with all the clickers in the middle position. You will have a better understanding where to go from there.

Start with a setting in the manual not just at middle clicker’s setting. This will be a better starting point and keep the bike balance. 

Start with a setting in the manual not just at middle clicker’s setting. This will be a better starting point and keep the bike balance. 

Yeah I recently just set all the clickers to the sport setting per what the manual says.
As for the sag, I assumed that having approximately 5 hours on the bike it had not changed but I’ll go ahead and check to see if it has.

Alright I checked the sag before riding the track today
It’s at 4 1/8’’ which is roughly 104-105 mm
I rode some whoops today on the am SX track and the rear end still is unsettled/ slapping me in the rear
I tried going out 2 clicks on rebound which did not help