XR200 valve to piston clearance

I'm doing a rebuild on a 1990 xr200. I checked the valve to piston clearance out of curiosity.  I got a much bigger reading then I thought I would get.  I got .1775 in. clearance for the exhaust and .2256 in. for the intake side.  Perhaps I did something wrong checking valve to piston clearance?  Is this normal clearance for these bikes?  I used clay and did one full rotation of the cam sprocket. 

STOP! I'm confused? Is this rebuild your doing a stock rebuild? If so and all gaskets are stock as well as valves and piston, then why the concern on the piston to head deal? The stock piston is designed for the valves, both intake and exhaust. You got me baffled!?!

I’m doing the rebuild to mostly learn.  I resurfaced the block and the cylinder has been bored for an oversized piston.  I’ve been checking clearances throughout the build, and I was curious how close the valves get to the piston.  I had read that .080 in. for the intake side and .100 in. for the exhaust side is pretty standard.  So I was surprised to see such a large clearance?  I do have a larger size gasket installed, but it would not have changed the P2V clearance that much.