Get that dancing monkey off your back! Read more... ×

..... 2017 KTM 250XC and First ride with PWK 38mm w/STIC and RK Tek Head.....

Just got home from a two day ride. This was my first ride of this red sticker season and first ride with the PWK 38mm carb with the STIC metering block and RK Tek head installed. I am not certain what did what but my gosh..WORTH EVERY PENNY! The bike was freaking amazing! The power is so very controllable in every situation and throttle setting. I am not a great rider so I was half expecting to feel like I was merely along for the ride with these mods. Nothing could have been further from the truth. The power was so strong and predictable that the bike actually felt smaller because it would respond and handle with so much more grace and authority with only the slightest input. The power band transition was seamless and pleasant. It was like there was lazer-like fueling. Clean, never a burble, and responsive like no other bike I've ridden.

Anyone interesting in buying a Lectron? LOL

My hat is off to Kelsey (RK Tek), Mark Wood (Tokyo Off Road), and CSAR FE (Thumper Talk).

Another bonus I think is worth mentioning is the lack of spooge with a spark arrestor. After 2 days running 50:1 with Motul 710 and 91 pump gas.

IMG_2248.jpg

Edited by shrub73
  • Like 4

Awesome!! Thanks for the report. I did the same mods on my 18' TE 300, sans the STIC MB. It completely transformed the bike.  No more jetting woes, pipe bang, etc.., experienced with the mikuni and stock head. The bike now runs so clean and just flat rips. You can lug it a gear or two high, or rev the sh#t out of it and ride in the meat of the power band. It does both extremely well. It's quite amazing how much better these new gen 250's/300's run with the jetting and head sorted out.  

Edited by BD100
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, BD100 said:

Awesome!! Thanks for the report. I did the same mods on my 18' TE 300, sans the STIC MB. It completely transformed the bike.  No more jetting woes, pipe bang, etc.., experienced with the mikuni and stock head. The bike now runs so clean and just flat rips. You can lug it a gear or two high, or rev the sh#t out of it and ride in the meat of the power band. It does both extremely well. It's quite amazing how much better these new gen 250's/300's run with the jetting and head sorted out.  

I was blown away to be honest. I just can't fathom a bike running better than this. Glad you got yours sorted out, it's so much more enjoyable to ride.

Great review.

I've got a stic ordered too. Already have a very well set up 38mm airstriker and machined cylinder head.

Looking forward to adding a stic.  It doesn't need any more power but hey why not :)

• Like 1

It you overrev the engine loads , the STD head is better , any higher compression head will not want to rev

Engine life if you increase compression will be affected , but it's like equivalent to the big end lasting 240 hours instead of 250! Not something to worry about

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, sandking11 said:

Great review.

I've got a stic ordered too. Already have a very well set up 38mm airstriker and machined cylinder head.

Looking forward to adding a stic.  It doesn't need any more power but hey why not :)

I found that the power is delivered in a different, more linear manner. Very controllable.

1 hour ago, mog said:

You don't gain much compared to a sx head ,maybe a small gain, against a xcw head you get good gains ( as does a sx head )

Slavens s3 mule head showed gains over the rk head ,this was independent testing , the only one you will find on the internet

http://www.pbase.com/jdjetting1/mikuni_tmx_tuning_and_manual_information&page=10

I am going to ask you once. 

Please do not litter my thread with baiting Kels.

I don't give two shits which one of you is more correct, just please (pretty please) don't shart up this thread with it. 

I can already see where this is headed.

Edited by shrub73
  • Like 4
  • Helpful 1

Shrub I pointed to the ONLY verified independent test , a previous poster asked the question , I understand your point , but that's the only answer on the internet

It's also true

If anyone like the answer ask James himself he did the test ?

The info your asking imo doesn't exist elsewhere

Sorry if this doesn't make you happy

I will leave this thread now as I know how it feels to have a thread destroyed , I did add actual factual reliable information , it didn't say the rk head was bad or not effective

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mog said:

Shrub I pointed to the ONLY verified independent test , you asked the question , I understand your point , but that's the only answer on the internet

It's also true

If you don't like the answer ask James himself he did the test ?

The info your asking imo doesn't exist elsewhere

Sorry if this doesn't make you happy

He didn't want facts or data or truth, he wanted to be validated in his purchase. Geeze 

• Like 1

He didn't want facts or data or truth, he wanted to be validated in his purchase. Geeze 
Ok sorry again

7 minutes ago, Dirt Rider 12345 said:

No need for anyone to validate my purchase. 

I only posted my review because I promised a member I'd report back once I rode with this set up, nothing more.

• Like 1

Good report. I too became a believer when I went from a Lectron to a PWK 38 on my Beta 300 - night n day for the better.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dyrtmon said:

Good report. I too became a believer when I went from a Lectron to a PWK 38 on my Beta 300 - night n day for the better.

Unless you ride 5,000'+ elevation changes in the same ride. The Lectron is much less sensitive to elevation and temperature changes. 

28 minutes ago, Ud_Luz said:

Unless you ride 5,000'+ elevation changes in the same ride. The Lectron is much less sensitive to elevation and temperature changes. 

My Lectron sure was sensitive between 2500 and 5Kft ASL. 

Time will tell if the PWK with the STIC and RK head yields better results as the weather changes and trips to differing elevations occur.

we find the STIC to actually be a bit temp sensitive over the non STIC equipped carb.. Not sure why but it is surely the case since the temps have dropped significantly here in the last 2 weeks.. Had to richen up the needle circuitry  to cover the lower temps.. Non-STIC equipped carb (exact same bike) did fine with the lower temps as it has always done..  Anyway , richened it up and  it is fine..  Still not seeing any gains at  anything under 1/2 throttle with the STIC over the stock carb.. Minimal gains, if any, above 1/2 throttle.  Bike "behaves" slightly different with the STIC, but no real power increase.. It MIGHT run a tad better at the higher alts than before.. All in all, a good product, just not a big power adder, more of a "feel".. Feel does not equal HP gain..

2 minutes ago, HERA said:

we find the STIC to actually be a bit temp sensitive over the non STIC equipped carb.. Not sure why but it is surely the case since the temps have dropped significantly here in the last 2 weeks.. Had to richen up the needle circuitry  to cover the lower temps.. Non-STIC equipped carb (exact same bike) did fine with the lower temps as it has always done..  Anyway , richened it up and  it is fine..  Still not seeing any gains at  anything under 1/2 throttle with the STIC over the stock carb.. Minimal gains, if any, above 1/2 throttle.  Bike "behaves" slightly different with the STIC, but no real power increase.. It MIGHT run a tad better at the higher alts than before.. All in all, a good product, just not a big power adder, more of a "feel".. Feel does not equal HP gain..

It feels wonderful to me....whatever it is. Call it a more eloquent delivery of power if you will.. which some of this "feel" I am sure has to do with your head as well.