Lighting questions

I have a 100w stator and updated rectifier. Currently running a Baja designs headlight replacement and wanting more light for night rides. I have a 70w kc hid light on the shelf and I’m wondering if my current setup will pull this light and not kill the battery while riding at night? The hid draws 5.83 amps and 70watts. I’d assume I’d be ok but thought I’d ask the experts. Thanks 

Kinda what I thought. Just wasn’t sure if I would have a draw down issue with the battery. 

Btw the bike is looking killer. 

22 minutes ago, lhc450x said:

Kinda what I thought. Just wasn’t sure if I would have a draw down issue with the battery. 

Btw the bike is looking killer. 

You should be just fine as long as you don't leave it on when the bike is off. 

And thank you. Hoping to finish it up ASAP

37 minutes ago, Frenchytoast said:

You should be just fine as long as you don't leave it on when the bike is off. 

And thank you. Hoping to finish it up ASAP

I actually found a Baja designs xl80 in my garage after making the original post. So I’m going to come up with a mount and keep my bd replacement led light on the bike and be able to put the xl80 off the bars for better light output. Both lights use the same plug so it will just be a quick  unplug re-plug back in on the 80. 

I asked if the x rewound w 150w output would run dual 35w hids, with a plated x with the extra blinkers/brake light etc no way. 

21C55BE5-61EE-41E3-B68E-3E0C943B925E.jpeg

13 hours ago, lhc450x said:

I have a 100w stator and updated rectifier. Currently running a Baja designs headlight replacement and wanting more light for night rides. I have a 70w kc hid light on the shelf and I’m wondering if my current setup will pull this light and not kill the battery while riding at night? The hid draws 5.83 amps and 70watts. I’d assume I’d be ok but thought I’d ask the experts. Thanks 

We don't recommend running a 70W light on a 100W stator.  The max I'd recommend is 50W otherwise you may discharge the battery and have other charging issues.  HID's require double the power on startup, there is a possibility the bike wouldn't have enough juice to fire the light.  Our "rule" is 50% of the stator output can be used for electrical accessories.

Baja Designs

www.bajadesigns.com

30 minutes ago, Baja Designs said:

We don't recommend running a 70W light on a 100W stator.  The max I'd recommend is 50W otherwise you may discharge the battery and have other charging issues.  HID's require double the power on startup, there is a possibility the bike wouldn't have enough juice to fire the light.  Our "rule" is 50% of the stator output can be used for electrical accessories.

Baja Designs

www.bajadesigns.com

Can I run a xl80 with my setup? I think it’s your guys stator so it very well might be a 150w. 

1 hour ago, lhc450x said:

Can I run a xl80 with my setup? I think it’s your guys stator so it very well might be a 150w. 

If we did the rewind you're looking at 150W electrical output after it's rewound.  Ideally you'd have 160W for the XL80, but 150W will work.  The XL80 does have a built-in dim feature.  I'd recommend running it in dim at low speeds and low RPMs.  This will keep the electrical system happy. 

We do have a mode switch that can easily mount on the handlebars.  One end plugs into the light and the other gets grounded.  When the button is pushed the light will dim. https://www.bajadesigns.com/Products/XL-Pro-XL80-Off-Road-Mode-Switch-Wire-Harness.asp

Make sure the light get's DC power and you'll be set :)

Baja Designs

www.bajadesigns.com

47 minutes ago, Baja Designs said:

If we did the rewind you're looking at 150W electrical output after it's rewound.  Ideally you'd have 160W for the XL80, but 150W will work.  The XL80 does have a built-in dim feature.  I'd recommend running it in dim at low speeds and low RPMs.  This will keep the electrical system happy. 

We do have a mode switch that can easily mount on the handlebars.  One end plugs into the light and the other gets grounded.  When the button is pushed the light will dim. https://www.bajadesigns.com/Products/XL-Pro-XL80-Off-Road-Mode-Switch-Wire-Harness.asp

Make sure the light get's DC power and you'll be set :)

Baja Designs

www.bajadesigns.com

I do have your led headlight replacement on there right now. Just not as bright as I’d like. So I should be ok and already have dc power correct?

2 hours ago, lhc450x said:

I do have your led headlight replacement on there right now. Just not as bright as I’d like. So I should be ok and already have dc power correct?

If you're running our LED headlight it's most likely a DC system.  Here is a quick way to check:

If the light comes on when the bike is started, it's AC.  If the light comes on with the key, it's DC. 

So I ended up mounting my 2 xl pros onto my handle bars using a mount I made. This should improve my night time riding over the bd oem headlight replacement. Both are plug and play since there both Baja designs lights. It’s as simple as unplug one and plug the other in. Here’s a pic of how it turned out. Also need to get a spot lense for one of the lights and see what combo I like better. Right now there both the combo pattern. 

DBCF899B-AF9E-45F6-85F7-3F8AF10D4E4B.jpeg

• Like 3