Jason Stevens

19' YZ450FX first ride!

I recently purchased the new scoot, what happens next...almost 10" of rain, guy can't catch a break! This bike will be a part time, do it all ride. I plan to MX, dual sport and the occasional harescramble and enduro. I'll keep my 2stroke for the gnarly. I started out with all of BPD's billet guards, Tubliss front/rear, and flag style Cycra hand shields and Rekluse radiusX. so after almost 3 weeks of ownership, yesterday was the day. I got to spend a few hours in southern Missouri rocks and roots. My awesome dealer lives near my suspension tuner, he dropped the bike off there for me and i had it sprung and valved to my liking before picking it up so i can not offer any feedback on stock stuff.

I loaded "mild" and "mx feeling" maps to the switch on the bars. Started out in mild, has nice roll on power and pulls to attention as the throttle continues to open, as the revs build it stop feeling mild but for tighter woods it allows some finesse and has smooth engagement without jerking or anything funky. Got into some faster 3rd/4th gear flowy with puddles to jump and wheellie over so I clicked the button and went into MX, wow..talk about hot rod mode. It made response snappy and just sheer revving madness, pulled hard and 3rd was hauling, never having enough room to reach the throttle stop. Even in the slower stuff it made riding a gear taller kind of easy but dropping into 2nd made it overly responsive and more of a handful. Its like having multiple bikes with the tap of the button..insane and cool! I never stopped to try any other maps but it is truly amazing at what is capable with this tuner! had some good elevation changes and i stopped on a hill just for kicks to see how 1st gear and throttle would react, allowed me to feed power easily and get rolling, quickly grabbing 2nd and some throttle and loft into a smooth controlled wheelie while still climbing, i was in love with roll on like that, mild setting mind you. My riding buddy who was on an 07' KTM 525, jumped on it for a few minutes, he couldn't come to terms with the response and covering the clutch, very different animals for sure, he gave it back wanting to try it again after the Rekluse is in it. I didn't stall all day but I am used to the short stroke tendency of the modern 4stroke.  

Handling was great, this frame turns sharp and accurately, caught me off guard comparing to my 11'yz250 smoker! I dont care what any scales say, this bike carries itself well and changes direction very easily. My brother has a 17'WR250F that i have raced, this feels no heavier and turns easier than that model, I am impressed. Typical Yamaha stability as speeds riding up over rocks/roots, it just goes where you point it, no worries. I rode the bike without the Rekluse, wanted to get a feel for it before installing. I look forward to the added flywheel effect and not covering the clutch..which is butter smooth! 

I will likely leave stock gearing, didn't feel like i needed any changes that the maps cant compensate for. Fun bike, great handling, feels solid and has gobs of power. would love to ride this further west and wont be able to get it to Colorado until next riding season. Very satisfied! Look forward to getting the dual sport kit this spring and hitting some back roads, no real pavement for me, just want to be able to get into the country without having to load up. 

"
"

• Like 3
  • Helpful 1

Nice.. I've also been eyeballing the new FX as well but I ride mostly moto and just not sure it's really up to the task. To be fair and realistic though I'm only a B rider at best so I'm sure it would be fine.

Now close to 10hrs in the FX, man this thing is a rip! I have some technical and fast flowy harescramble type terrain, tried all of the maps but my favorite to keep lodes kn the bars are mild and mx feeling. 

Great stability in the rough and quick turning in tighter stuff. I have noticed that this bike really hooks up even in some sloppy stuff. Playing in mx style berm turns wow, I love the turning! I’m running Tubliss with a Gibson up front and MX3S out back. Grass track is stupid, so far 68mph running 4th out and clicking 5th before shutting down..whew, pulls hard!

Oil changes are simple, air filter maintenance a breeze and even pulling the shock out for a spring change is minutes..love it all. Hit me up if I missed anything! Happy trails!

• Like 4

The tuning app has me looking closely at one of these. I would need to plate it in order to connect trails (simple here in WA). My only concern is the subframe strength. Id like to be able to occasionally carry some luggage for local overnight DS trips and an annual Baja trip. I wonder how it would hold up with 30+ lbs while hammer some whoops?

The FE350 is set up really nicely but sometimes I wish it was a 450.

20170519_140705.jpg

On 10/31/2018 at 11:14 AM, Jason Stevens said:

Now close to 10hrs in the FX, man this thing is a rip! I have some technical and fast flowy harescramble type terrain, tried all of the maps but my favorite to keep lodes kn the bars are mild and mx feeling. 

Great stability in the rough and quick turning in tighter stuff. I have noticed that this bike really hooks up even in some sloppy stuff. Playing in mx style berm turns wow, I love the turning! I’m running Tubliss with a Gibson up front and MX3S out back. Grass track is stupid, so far 68mph running 4th out and clicking 5th before shutting down..whew, pulls hard!

Oil changes are simple, air filter maintenance a breeze and even pulling the shock out for a spring change is minutes..love it all. Hit me up if I missed anything! Happy trails!

How do you find the tubeliss system? Mine is night and day in the rocks now, best mod yet. Even better than the rekluse clutch

On 11/17/2018 at 5:43 PM, Snakko88 said:

How do you find the tubeliss system? Mine is night and day in the rocks now, best mod yet. Even better than the rekluse clutch

i enjoy the Tubliss, have never had any issues and have only run the Gen2 stuff with Stans sealant. No complaints here. I will install the Rekluse soon, looking forward to it. Rode a gnarly enduro recently and it was a handful managing the clutch in lock to lock tight trees for nearly 10miles in one section..too old for that much clutch work. 

• Like 1