2017+ ktm 250xc powervalve settings

Hi where do you guys that run the red spring prefer to run your dolly. I've read that having it open to soon( too little preload) can cause it to fall on it's face of shifted too soon or if hitting a load across a field and felt I did experience that.

I watched the slavens video about setting preload off the rpm and used an hour meter/tach to set the dolly to open around 5125 rpm as the manual suggests. But it appears that leaves 2 threads showing.

So maybe that tach is to hesitant to give me good results or maybe these newer gen Ktms are to be set there.

However, set there my bike seems to not pull nearly as well off the bottom is that in my head or is can the pv setting effect that.

Also I apologise if there is a pv setting database for 2017+ smokers I've only been able to find pre 16 forums.

Any input on where you guys run yours and what you have found is much appreciated.

I recall reading that the 2017 & up 250/300s needed set at 500rpm higher than earlier bikes. 

I have the Kreft external adjuster so I can reach down with my hand and turn it. Expensive but a nice to have item. 

I am running the red spring. I don't tune via RPM. I turn it in until I get a motocross type hit where I can feel it open too late. Then I slowly back it off a 1/2 turn at a time until I am happy. I want a broad/smooth powerband for the Woods racing and riding I do. YMMV.  

Edited by KTM753
  • Like 1

If it helps, here is a dyno graph from a very reputable tuner in Australia.  Two Stroke Performance is their name if you want to do some research on Dave.  You will find a lot of happy customers who have either his reshaped or CNC heads as well as ignition and slide mods.  I must confess I have not played with the powervalve setting that much on my '17 250 XC-W and just set it as per his recommendation.  Think I may have found something to keep me busy this weekend!  

image.png

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

2017 250xc. I run the red spring with the adjuster 2 turns or so in from flush. Ride tech single track mainly. Bike runs great, very manageable power. With the yellow spring the bike would bog down on big climbs when it got a bunch of traction and would be slow to recover, even if you zapped the clutch. Doesn’t do that with the red spring. Never tried the green spring.

• Like 1