2015 Husqvarna TE 300

Hey Everybody,

I have never owned a dirtbike but I have ridden a Honda 250 years ago. I live in Colorado and plan to hit the trails. I found a 2015 TE 300 locally and the owner is seeking almost 6K for it. The owner was not sure of the hours but thinks it was close to 4000 miles on the odometer.

Is there anything specific I need to watch out for on the 2015's? I think the price is a little high for the mileage or am I way off base here? NADA is suggest $4500 but I don't want to insult the owner.

Thank you for reading my post. Not quite an owner so I didn't want to jump the gun under introductions.

Josh01717_3HDriau6b8b_600x450.jpeg00707_9dfqc4Y33Y8_600x450.jpeg

11 hours ago, LordCaedus said:

Hey Everybody,

I have never owned a dirtbike but I have ridden a Honda 250 years ago. I live in Colorado and plan to hit the trails. I found a 2015 TE 300 locally and the owner is seeking almost 6K for it. The owner was not sure of the hours but thinks it was close to 4000 miles on the odometer.

Is there anything specific I need to watch out for on the 2015's? I think the price is a little high for the mileage or am I way off base here? NADA is suggest $4500 but I don't want to insult the owner.

Thank you for reading my post. Not quite an owner so I didn't want to jump the gun under introductions.

Josh01717_3HDriau6b8b_600x450.jpeg00707_9dfqc4Y33Y8_600x450.jpeg

Thats way too much. That bike even in overpriced BC, Canada would sell for 5-6k Canadian max.

4000 miles cant be right. that woudl mean about 400 hours roughly. are you sure you dont mean 400 miles? 

Try to find a 2017 or newer, much less vibrations with the counterbalanced motor.

Edited by 240ZDAN
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, 240ZDAN said:

Thats way too much. That bike even in overpriced BC, Canada would sell for 5-6k Canadian max.

4000 miles cant be right. that woudl mean about 400 hours roughly. are you sure you dont mean 400 miles? 

Try to find a 2017 or newer, much less vibrations with the counterbalanced motor.

LOOKS like it was well maintained LOW hour bike but for $6000 you got a LOT of options and that price is too high as 240ZDAN stated.

Most competent owners of today's bikes know to use an hour meter as all maintenance specified in the manual is based off hours not miles. Not saying the bike isn't great, but if I paid close to $10k for a new Husky I'd get an hour meter and follow the service manual. 

That said, 6k is way too much for a 4 model year old bike with no documented service records at specified hourly intervals. 

If this is a first buy I would suggest a Japanese bike due to lower initial costs, lower repair costs, and much less finicky maintenance schedule. Still gotta change fluids, etc but jumping into a KTM or Husky as a first bike is probably not the wisest decision, particularly in a case where the owner has no idea the hours on it. You could end up with a very large service bill if it needs piston, rings, valve adjustments, etc and you don't even know if the oil was ever changed. 

Edited by ghunter

Ask again the hours. The TE model should have a dash on it that reads hours, miles etc and it will tell you how many it has. Every bike is different but 6k does seem high if that's US$. 

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Hey Everybody,

Thank you for the feedback. I went for a test ride yesterday and it felt really good. I felt at home on it. I know it's going to need a top end before next spring. But I was planning to perform that maintenance myself. I left him with a deposit of a hundred bucks and we agreed at 5200. I plan to pick it up on Friday. I would love to find a newer ride but I think the market here is fairly competitive out here in Colorado and I really wanted a Husky 300 for around 5k. I'm okay with the wear and tear. It's my first ride.

I think that it has 243 hours if that's what AST means. Obviously with an average of 15mph over the 4k it's not been raced.

I look forward to more time on here. Thanks everyone! 20181016_143233.jpeg20181016_143703.jpeg20181016_143735.jpeg20181016_143706.jpeg20181016_143650.jpeg

1 hour ago, LordCaedus said:

Hey Everybody,

Thank you for the feedback. I went for a test ride yesterday and it felt really good. I felt at home on it. I know it's going to need a top end before next spring. But I was planning to perform that maintenance myself. I left him with a deposit of a hundred bucks and we agreed at 5200. I plan to pick it up on Friday. I would love to find a newer ride but I think the market here is fairly competitive out here in Colorado and I really wanted a Husky 300 for around 5k. I'm okay with the wear and tear. It's my first ride.

I think that it has 243 hours if that's what AST means. Obviously with an average of 15mph over the 4k it's not been raced.

I look forward to more time on here. Thanks everyone! 20181016_143233.jpeg20181016_143703.jpeg20181016_143735.jpeg20181016_143706.jpeg20181016_143650.jpeg

Thats very high hours, but it looks cleaned and well maintained. Hopefully its good to you.

Thats very high hours, but it looks cleaned and well maintained. Hopefully its good to you.
I totally agree and do have reservations about the hours and mileage but I am pretty sure this was all done by a senior rider. Being that it's near the end of the season should I wait till spring rolls around?

Is ART hours? Never seen that before. Def high though for that price but it seems to be in good shape. I know the starters are brutal on those bikes but I think they did a little better with them in 15-16 models. Might need new rotors with that many hours. Also if the suspension hasn't been serviced it'll probably need that too. How many hours are on the current top end? Looks like it hasn't been abused or dropped a bunch though so thats a win.

35 minutes ago, LordCaedus said:
39 minutes ago, 240ZDAN said:

Read more  

I totally agree and do have reservations about the hours and mileage but I am pretty sure this was all done by a senior rider. Being that it's near the end of the season should I wait till spring rolls around?

The price is on the high side and I would wait or offer lower if possible but me personally I'd spend a bit extra if needed and get a lower hour machine. 243 is getting up there unless he has a stack of reciepts and all the work done. 

Also art means accumalated run time. 

Edited by 240ZDAN

The TE 300 includes:
New Front (Shinko) & Rear Tire (Sedona)- Rear TUbliss
New Rear Brake Pads (EBC Carbon-X)
New Plastics and Graphics (Acerbis)
New Hand Guards
New Chain and Chain guide (BRP)
New Grips
New Battery
Skid Plate (EE)
Rear Disk Guard (EE)
Rear Brake Cooler
Refurbished FMF Gnarly Pipe
Radiator Braces (EE)
CLever EZ Pull Clutch Lever
Gripper Seat
Jetted for 5 to 13 thousand feet - lower altitude jets and needle included (Moab)
Owner's Manual
Amsoil Saber 8oz - Motorex
Stock Pipe

That's the list of stuff from the seller. It felt pretty good when I was riding it. He has only owned it for about 16 months. He had an older ktm350 that died right before a planned trip. A friend sold him this one on short notice so he could make the trip. Now he has an 18 TX300 in the garage and needs to let this go. I would assume the 1st owner put in a new top end around 130-150. But that is an assumption. Would this still be hitting at 243 hours on the original head?

15 minutes ago, LordCaedus said:

The TE 300 includes:
New Front (Shinko) & Rear Tire (Sedona)- Rear TUbliss
New Rear Brake Pads (EBC Carbon-X)
New Plastics and Graphics (Acerbis)
New Hand Guards
New Chain and Chain guide (BRP)
New Grips
New Battery
Skid Plate (EE)
Rear Disk Guard (EE)
Rear Brake Cooler
Refurbished FMF Gnarly Pipe
Radiator Braces (EE)
CLever EZ Pull Clutch Lever
Gripper Seat
Jetted for 5 to 13 thousand feet - lower altitude jets and needle included (Moab)
Owner's Manual
Amsoil Saber 8oz - Motorex
Stock Pipe

That's the list of stuff from the seller. It felt pretty good when I was riding it. He has only owned it for about 16 months. He had an older ktm350 that died right before a planned trip. A friend sold him this one on short notice so he could make the trip. Now he has an 18 TX300 in the garage and needs to let this go. I would assume the 1st owner put in a new top end around 130-150. But that is an assumption. Would this still be hitting at 243 hours on the original head?

Its not unheard of. Some guy sare claiming 200+ hours on original topend.

I would factor in the following added costs to the bike:

Topend

Suspension Service

Linkage bearings

wheel bearings

clutch

It's sounding like I should wait for another bike. Would it be wrong to ask for my $100 bucks back?

I just picked up a a 15TE300 this summer for $4500 from a really really good friend.  Had 110hr on it, I love the bike, that price is probably in the right neighborhood for that bike.  300's are hard to find they are either worn out or at the very top end of the price range.   Ride the bike again and spend at least 20-30 minutes on it, if it feels good and you feel good get it.   I have put another 15hrs on mine since I got it and love  the bike, only changes I've made to it:  added my steering stabilizer and a Lectron carb from Slavens.

My suspension had already been reworked by Kreft and he had added mouse bibs already :)

Edited by johnmcd2

I dont think its a terrible deal if the suspension has been done, shock and wheel bearings are still in good shape or have been re-done and if it had a top end recently re done too. If none of that has been done it's going to be needing it now or soon so personally i would pass for that price. If it has 143 hours with a recent top end done I feel that price would be about right. 

Yeah for another 500-1000 less that would be fine. But not for that price 

Still pretty pricey for that. I paid 6650$ CAD for a 17 TX300 with 134 hours on it. That bike should be about 6-6500 at most. Especially this time of year