Dirt bike travel cover

Im trying to figure out a cheap but solid option to keep the salt and mag chloride off my bike when on the hitch rack. Any good ideas?  

The key to this deal is. Get you a over sized cover for your bike. Plus a cheap one is not the answer. You want to be able to wrap this cover over the bike and especially under bike and hitch carrier. The wind turbulence from under your vehicle will want to blow the cover up like a balloon. To me it's like, Hey I might be better off bring cover up from bottom side and wrapping it over top off bike. No matter how you do it. The cover is going to catch hell from #1 the down draft of your vehicle and #2 other vehicles that pass you or pull up close behind. I've not seen or purchased any covers that would last to long. I've got a good cover for my Gold Wing which I bought back in '98 for $70 and I wouldn't trust it to hold up under conditions you might be talking about. There's no cheap out on this deal. Now here's a thought? Find you a canvas shop like an awning shop. let them design a cover that will go over the bike and have a heavy duty zipper underneath to close it up. My 2cents says, buy a small enclosed trailer and hit the road!

1 hour ago, piltoyougram said:

The key to this deal is. Get you a over sized cover for your bike. Plus a cheap one is not the answer. You want to be able to wrap this cover over the bike and especially under bike and hitch carrier. The wind turbulence from under your vehicle will want to blow the cover up like a balloon. To me it's like, Hey I might be better off bring cover up from bottom side and wrapping it over top off bike. No matter how you do it. The cover is going to catch hell from #1 the down draft of your vehicle and #2 other vehicles that pass you or pull up close behind. I've not seen or purchased any covers that would last to long. I've got a good cover for my Gold Wing which I bought back in '98 for $70 and I wouldn't trust it to hold up under conditions you might be talking about. There's no cheap out on this deal. Now here's a thought? Find you a canvas shop like an awning shop. let them design a cover that will go over the bike and have a heavy duty zipper underneath to close it up. My 2cents says, buy a small enclosed trailer and hit the road!

Thanks for the reply!  Yeah, I have a truck camper and go to some fairly remote areas.  The whole reason for my setup is to not have a trailer.  I have done the trailer thing in the past.  I tried a snowmobile cover I have laying around.  As you mentioned, the wind and much just blows right up under it.  Maybe a cover followed by a tarp to handle more abuse?  

If you buy a cover, completely wrap the bike up then get either rope or tie downs and tighten it up super tight around the bike, that way it won't flap around

Look at Gezagear stretch covers. If I recall they show bikes on bumper hitches

You might also consider going to a boat cover/upholstery shop and have a cover made that wraps the seat, tank and chassis tight. Look at speedway bike wraps for inspiration

28 minutes ago, kcposty said:

Looks like they only make street bike covers.

9 hours ago, kcposty said:

They took 9 months to send me one for my FZ last year, I'dforgotten about it when they called for my cc info. Took so long the card had expired...

Good product, terrible customer service... Even after they called, it got lost under a counter or something, took another 3 weeks and a phone call from me. They still owe me a balaclava.