1987 ktm 250 worth it?

Hey guys im looking at a 1987 ktm 250 on craigslist. the guy says it has spark and compression and fuel to the carb but he cant get it started. he has it listed for $400 obo. has plastics but they are cracked. what do you8 guys think? i was thinking of taking some starting fluid with me to see if itll fire. im just worried about getting parts for it if needed. other than the clutch housing and water pump housing rotting do you think this will be worth it as a beater?

thanks

Parts will be very hard to come.  Now it could be worth some money parting it out since parts are hard to find. If you have  $400 to gamble with and want something to wrench on then maybe. Unfortunately if the bike was intact and running it might be a $800 bike. Those old KTMs aren't worth much unless you have some sentimental value of owning one. Personally I would not mess with it unless I got it for free or maybe a $100

Part it out

If parts are so hard to get ,just put them out there

Thanks guys. I ended up passing on it. To much of a pain to find parts. 

^ good call, Finding parts for KTM's older than 94 gets tricky.  Plus the ignition system on the pre 98's was problematic and a pain and costly to fix/replace.  

They are decent bikes though, it's a shame they are just such a pain to work on/find parts.  

I had a 92 300 exc and even that was tricky to find parts for but it was a great trail/hare scramble bike.  

My Brother in Law had a 1990 KTM 250 and couldn't find parts for it. Had a crack in the clutch cover and couldn't find a replacement for it so he had to use some J-B Weld to fix the crack/hole. It worked and he road it for about a year after the fix. Sold it a year and a half ago for $800.00. It ran good and started on a couple of kicks, just couldn't find replacement parts, plastics, fuel tank, etc. 

20 minutes ago, Saint728 said:

My Brother in Law had a 1990 KTM 250 and couldn't find parts for it. Had a crack in the clutch cover and couldn't find a replacement for it so he had to use some J-B Weld to fix the crack/hole. It worked and he road it for about a year after the fix. Sold it a year and a half ago for $800.00. It ran good and started on a couple of kicks, just couldn't find replacement parts, plastics, fuel tank, etc. 

The clutch cover on the 90-97 bikes was crap.  They always cracked, finding a used one on ebay that isn't cracked and jb welded is like winning the loto.   I had a cover that cracked in 3 different places.  I would fix one crack then it would crack somewhere else in like a week.  

The threads of the cases were like butter too, super easy to strip which again leads to problems finding decent used parts.  

• Like 1