Putting a headlight on my KX250F

Ok so my question is does my 2014 Kx250f make enough power to power two ridged square led lights? And can it do it without leaning out my bike? Have any of you guys tried it?

I can’t speak for the newer bikes much but on my 08 it didn’t work out well, the bike was cutting in and out and just acting up 

I ended up wiring it to a battery from an rc car which worked alright but had to use it more as a way to get back once it got dark out since the battery doesn’t last as long as you might think

Direct wired from stator to the lights no. Wired to a battery first then from battery to the lights, it should work.

Reason is the electrical power generated by the engine varies with rpm. It makes “dirty” power. Add a lights load to it and the highs and lows dips in power will be large. The lows dip enough to knock out cdi and ignition coil. The battery acts as a buffer, a reserve, smoothing the power, absorbing the high and filling in the low. Much better for the lights and the rest of the electronics on the bike.

Do not do it without a battery.

Christo, all you need to do with your setup now is to wire to the battery and you are set.

• Like 1

@FaceDeAce I actually ended up ditching the idea anyways, started doing a lot more track riding and in all honesty the 6 inch light bar wasn’t even enough on the trails at night, didn’t fill the trails with light as much as it made the trees look closer and appear to be going by faster than they should lol 

thanks though, probably would have worked well 

On 10/16/2018 at 7:53 AM, justeg450r said:

Ok thank you so the light will draw too much power?

When rpm is low, the engine electrical power output is low voltage and low current.  When rpm is high, the electrical power output is higher voltage and higher current.

At low rpm the light may draw enough power to starve and brown out the CDI and other electronics.  Putting a battery in solves this problem.  The battery keeps the voltage more constant.  At low rpm the battery gives out power to makeup for the low generator.  At high rpm the battery absorbs power, recharges.  The battery smooths out the peaks and troughs of the electrical power coming from the engine.  I hope that makes sense.

The stator may or may not even have a power coil in it and if it does may or may not have enough power to run a decent LED light.  I haven't looked a the wiring diagram, yet.  Just saying at this point do not do it without putting a battery in the circuit.

Edited by FaceDeAce
  • Like 1

This is a RACE BIKE.. It's faster without starters, batteries, regulators, wiring...etc. The stator was wound to put out X amount of power. Add anything you'll take away reliability of how the bike was built. It wasn't made to add on. It was made to be the lightest and fastest.
What I have done to one is rewound the stator. Reg/rec. Nicad battery in the airbox. And I just have a Cyclops 3800 bulb. I think you're aiming too high for Rigid Industries leds.