Finally got one, again.

30 years ago I sold my beloved 1985 CR500. I was young and needed money for a car. I had a lot of fun on that bike and some of the best dirt bike memories were made on it. Out of all the bikes I've owned it's the only one I regret selling. I've had opportunities to buy a 85 cr500 before but never pulled the trigger figuring leave the fond memories in the past. Well today I couldn't pass up the bike any longer. I found me a nice project bike to take up some free winter time. The bike is all there and it runs but most importantly it was cheap. Not the prettiest but it's mine. With lots of money and time it shall be returned to it's former glory and be ready to make some new memories.

IMG_20181015_205750610.jpg

• Like 7

A little update. I went over the bike today and started buying parts. The biggest problem was the clutch cover of course, it's toast. Luckily the OEM covers from the newer cr500 work and are available. Good news is the bore and piston look good and compression is excellent. Bottom end is sold, no play on the crank. It looks like someone did a top and bottom end not to long ago. Clutch basket is not notched either. Frame is straight no cracks except the left foot peg mount is cracked. The tank and shrouds are good enough the side plates and fenders need to be replaced. Chain sprockets and tires are good too. The pipe has about 1000 dents and welds so it's going by by .

So for a project bike it's a good candidate , mostly cosmetic and superficial parts. I think when all is said and done it's going to take about $1500 to get it ready to ride.

I will get some more pics soon. 

• Like 2

Started to do some work on the bike today and was able to ride it. Replaced the entire right case cover and water pump. Mounted up the new fmf pipe and spark arestor silencer. Replaced the rear wheel bearings and sprockets and rear tire.

Fired up on the 3rd kick. It was running a little lean at idle and then rich at 1/4 throttle. I went up 1 size on the pilot and dropped the needle a clip position. That did it. Runs like a rapped ape. Tommorow I need to get the front brake working better and tidy up a few things then it will be ready for a real ride.

IMG_20181022_125234124.jpg

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, GreenMT_Rider said:

Started to do some work on the bike today and was able to ride it. Replaced the entire right case cover and water pump. Mounted up the new fmf pipe and spark arestor silencer. Replaced the rear wheel bearings and sprockets and rear tire.

Fired up on the 3rd kick. It was running a little lean at idle and then rich at 1/4 throttle. I went up 1 size on the pilot and dropped the needle a clip position. That did it. Runs like a rapped ape. Tommorow I need to get the front brake working better and tidy up a few things then it will be ready for a real ride.

IMG_20181022_125234124.jpg

If I remember correctly you have the space! Enjoy!!!!

Awesome! One of the baddest, if not THE baddest, dirt bikes of the '80s. :cool: Enjoy!