Looking for a be for a new to me bike

So I’m currently I’m currently riding a 2009 450 EXC and I love the bike but I am wanting to get into a EFI bike and ditch the carb. I’m looking at a 2013 500 EXC with 12k miles. Great price and pretty tricked out with all the things I would have done to the bike. 

My question is this I’m pretty worried about the mileage being high and the possibility of having to do an engine rebuild.  The gentleman who is selling it said he did oil changes at 500 mile increments

whats all your take on it?

thanks in advance!

Why would you want to ditch the carb? Unless you frequently make major elevation changes. Like more than 3000ft changes. The carb should be fine. Fuel injected bikes are inherently more complicated. While the EFI bikes have been quite reliable. The added worry of if something goes wrong keeps me from wanting one. Carbs are simple and reliable. 

Why would you want to ditch the carb? Unless you frequently make major elevation changes. Like more than 3000ft changes. The carb should be fine. Fuel injected bikes are inherently more complicated. While the EFI bikes have been quite reliable. The added worry of if something goes wrong keeps me from wanting one. Carbs are simple and reliable. 

Fuel economy?

1 hour ago, Bobatsea said:

Well I live at 5500 feet elevation and do take it down to the desert to ride. I ride from my house to the desert. But I see your point with EFI

That makes going EFI a bit more appealing. I would have some serious reservations about that bike. The miles are way up there. Unless its a screaming deal, like leaves you with enough room to afford a rebuild, I would stay away. All the goodies you say it has do ad up and not all bikes would have them. So I would consider the cost of adding all the extras against the possibility of a not to distant engine rebuild. Then come up with a price you feel comfortable at and shoot the guy an offer. Worst he can say is no.

Yup..fuel economy for one...in our group the FI bikes get about 35% better fuel economy.  Meaningful when you're deep in the bush and a long way from fuel.

And last weekend my buddies 300 sucked a lot of dirty water up the carb vent hoses and drowned the bike.  Carb (Lectron) will need a complete tear down and clean up. It was so jammed up with dirt that the throttle would only turn about half way before jamming...it was a long miserable push out to the road. No vent hoses on an FI bike.

Also no jets to clog or adjust for altitude, needles to fall, wear or re-adjust, no float bowls to adjust and no petcocks to leak.

Not a rant against carbs....they are very reliable (as are the FI units)...and while mechanically they are not that simple....they can be repaired in the field depending on the issue., and you do not have the issue of a fuel pump to deal with.

Both FI and carburetors have there pros and cons, and both are reliable...so there really is an argument for both sides.  But having said that, FI is the future...there are now even FI 2 strokes on the market....and eventually fuel economy and fewer emissions will mean that carburetors will be a thing of the past on new bikes. 

Sorry...don't mean to hijack this thread.

With regard to the OP's main point....I  agree that the mileage is somewhat high. Now if most of that mileage is highway or dual sporting and not serious off-roading...then maybe that's not such a big issue. If it's possible to reliably determine that (not just by relying on the seller's words)...and if the price is really good, maybe you take a shot....after all the 500 is a very reliable machine.....but like Bobatsea said....you want to be very careful.

Edited by travertt

4 minutes ago, travertt said:

Yup..fuel economy for one...in our group the FI bikes get about 35% better fuel economy.  Meaningful when you're deep in the bush and a long way from fuel.

And last weekend my buddies 300 sucked a lot of dirty water up the carb vent hoses and drowned the bike.  Carb (Lectron) will need a complete tear down and clean up. It was so jammed up with dirt that the throttle would only turn about half way before jamming. No vent hoses on an FI bike.

Also no jets to clog or adjust for altitude, needles to fall, wear or re-adjust, no float bowls to adjust and no petcocks to leak.

Not a rant against carbs....they are very reliable (as are the FI units)...and while mechanically they are not that simple....they can be repaired in the field depending on the issue., and you do not have the issue of a fuel pump to deal with.

Both FI and carburetors have there pros and cons, and both are reliable...so there really is an argument for both sides.  But having said that, FI is the future...there are now even FI 2 strokes on the market....and eventually fuel economy and fewer emissions will mean that carburetors will be a thing of the past on new bikes.

It also depends on how comfortable you are with working on carbs. I can pull my carb down to nothing and put it back together with a few simple tools. All of which are in my pack. 

If you know how to adjust them properly and clean them out if you have an issue like your buddy. They are hard to beat. 

But sigh, fuel injection is the wave of the future. We might all be carrying spare fuel pumps and at least a good jump pack in the future along with our basic tool kits.

58 minutes ago, travertt said:

And last weekend my buddies 300 sucked a lot of dirty water up the carb vent hoses and drowned the bike.  Carb (Lectron) will need a complete tear down and clean up. It was so jammed up with dirt that the throttle would only turn about half way before jamming...it was a long miserable push out to the road. No vent hoses on an FI bike.

Sorry...don't mean to hijack this thread.

With regard to the OP's main point....I  agree that the mileage is somewhat high. Now if most of that mileage is highway or dual sporting and not serious off-roading...then maybe that's not such a big issue. If it's possible to reliably determine that (not just by relying on the seller's words)...and if the price is really good, maybe you take a shot....after all the 500 is a very reliable machine.....but like Bobatsea said....you want to be very careful.

Well the guys seems pretty honest and I asked him what type of riding is he mainly doing with the bike and he said “off-road”. He is looking for 5k for the bike

https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/mcy/d/2013-ktm-500-exc/6707829356.html

This the bike

Well the guys seems pretty honest and I asked him what type of riding is he mainly doing with the bike and he said “off-road”.

Hmmm...well some people's idea of "off road" is to buzz up and down logging roads or cottage roads.....other guys are out hill climbing or trying the local equivalent of The Erzberg Rodeo. 

Not disparaging the seller, but at the end of the day...you only have his word for it.

I went to the ad for the bike and got this message......."This posting has been deleted by its author."  so no comment on the bike itself, except to say they are excellent and reliable machines.

Buying anything used, especially a dirt bike...is a tricky piece of business...good luck.

Friend's 450 after he sent it to DJH for a complete rebuild. I'm not sure Dave even replaced Main bearings. Mostly service the head and replace the piston. If the owner is an older guy, maintained his air filter, and did his oil changes, new bikes go a long time. FI seals out the engine dirt my carbed 450 sucked up through the vents to destroy piston and bore. Did a rebuild on it with vent filters and put 18K on the RFS. Currently sitting at 26K it's maintained for desert use as a back up to the new bike.

Consider the rider age, riding use, maintenance, hour meter total, if he owns a clean vehicle- home or both. Records if he keeps them.

12K is a lot of miles for some riders- wouldn't be a big deal for my bikes, I don't stretch the throttle cable.

Kip's Rebuild of his 450 by DJH

2014 450 KTM, 350 hrs/ 8500 miles

Cylinder & Bore okay

No toil AF & NT oil

Fuel injector at 96ml flow / Clean at 102 ml flow

No tank sock filter

Regular oil changes

New bikes are really sweet🙂

• Like 1

12K miles jeez my bike would be a wreck. I go 3 years regardless of miles and sell before value drops. this way I get to try out all the new goodies as they evolve , suspension has seen the biggest gains in comfort and performance over just 5 years ago then add EFI , Bingo ! its a winner. cant wait to get my new 300i

It was covered before, but at the end of the day if you maintain things they will last. Simple. If he seems like that type of guy who was meticulous with maintenance I wouldn’t worry about it. 

Lets not forget Adam Rieman and 2 others rode some 16000km around Europe and Africa on exc 500s. 

I've got 30k miles on my 525.  Probably racked up another 100 or so today.  Might do it again tomorrow.

Granted i've gone through the engine a few times, but it just keeps on thumpin' along. 

12k is high mileage, yes, but not extreme imo. 

Nicturner,,  Pipester makes a good point that if you maintain the bike it will go many miles before a rebuild.  I am on my second KTM 500 xcw which is the same bike but not street legal. My first I sold with 18k miles and 771 hrs. The guy that bought it is still riding it.

My current 500 has 16k and 660 hrs. now and I am still riding it. 187 miles yesterday. No motor issues on either bike with frequent oil changes, trail riding from Canada to Baja. Riding not racing. I had to replace in tank fuel filters on both bikes around 15k miles. Bulletproof so far, 2013 and 2014 bikes. Already bought my next one a used 30 hr. 2016 being set up to replace the '14.

Eric #33