california Back on TT with Drone footage @ Mammoth Bar Friday

So Im back.  Some of you might remember riding with me.  I had a 2013 500exe which was sold after a truck accident.  Now Im on a new FE501 which is giving me clutch and performance blues.  Picked up a used 2001 KTM for a spare bike on a whim and took it out Friday.  Wow I miss the simple 2stroke after dealing with a brand new FE501 issues...maybe Ill sell the 501 and stick with a cheap 2t.  Man that bike is fun...even with my old 225lb ass riding it around.

Anyways Im back with a decent portable Drone that Ill be using to get some cool footage in the wide opens.  It does pretty good with object tracking and object avoidance.  Very happy with the results.  

Looking forward to a meetup.  Im a little out of shape, but working on it and my drone skills.

Edited by tighe
correction
  • Like 5

Brand new 501? What clutch and performance blues? Nice drone footage , the area in general with views of river is lots prettier, better then the roads they call trails

8 hours ago, tighe said:

So Im back.  Some of you might remember riding with me.  I had a 2013 500exe which was sold after a truck accident.  Now Im on a new FE501 which is giving me clutch and performance blues.  Picked up a used 2001 KTM for a spare bike on a whim and took it out Friday.  Wow I miss the simple 2stroke after dealing with a brand new FE501 issues...maybe Ill sell the 501 and stick with a cheap 2t.  Man that bike is fun...even with my old 225lb ass riding it around.

Anyways Im back with a decent portable Drone that Ill be using to get some cool footage in the wide opens.  It does pretty good with object tracking and object avoidance.  Very happy with the results.  

Looking forward to a meetup.  Im a little out of shape, but working on it and my drone skills.

What drone? How well does it deal with elevation changes in follow me mode?

The always sad thing of MB is the slow and ever increasing death of a once great ride area. I have talked with old timers and 25 years ago MB was huge . Now just one fire road and one dead end double wide

I hate self entitled California environmentalists and their arm chair save the world voting habits

• Like 5

I got the 17 in May because I wanted as much Brembo as possible.  Sure enough, the Magura slave gave out on me last week in traffic at a stop.  Not good.  It runs lean and I dont want to put a bunch of mods on it so it runs right.  Oh well...1 month left on the warranty and then we will see.

The drone is a Mavic 2 pro.  I like it because it fits in my fender bag.  The follow mode is good....not great.   That was my third attempt at follow mode after loosing the thing twice...but I think Im starting to figure it out.  Its got cameras on every side of the thing and avoids flying into stuff pretty well.  I think the Rock lobster would be an ideal location for the thing and am planning on it once Roseville fixes my clutch.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, cobra46 said:

What drone? How well does it deal with elevation changes in follow me mode?

Mavic 2 Zoom.  It got cameras on all 6 axis dedicated to object avoidance.  This was my first flight so Im still learning about the thing...

23 minutes ago, tighe said:

I got the 17 in May because I wanted as much Brembo as possible.  Sure enough, the Magura slave gave out on me last week in traffic at a stop.  Not good.  It runs lean and I dont want to put a bunch of mods on it so it runs right. 

Their motto is READY TO RACE

They have never claimed that the bikes were READY TO RIDE...  LOL  :doh:

You just need to get rid of the EPA/CARB box under the seat and the bike will be all it was meant to be.  You don't want the NSA and NASA to be tracking you anyway do you ?  Don't think of it s putting mods on the bike.  Think of it as taking the SMOG MODS OFF THE BIKE.  :cheers:

Edited by Jeff aka Bolt
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, tighe said:

It runs lean and I dont want to put a bunch of mods on it so it runs right.

A buddy sent his ECU off to a shop in TX to have a richer map loaded... that will fix it without "a bunch of mods". Just a proper map vs one that was just for passing EPA. 

That drone footage is pretty cool, especially when you start get the side angle instead of strictly above and behind.

The Husky is very well known to have a defective Magura slave cylinder. Been posted 1,000 times replace the seal with aftermarket or use the KTM Brembo. The bikes are also known to not run chocked up. De smog, de restrict and add a Vortex ECU = 100% done. 

@Jeff aka Bolt has the goods to buy at good 💰 pm him. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DrKayak said:

A buddy sent his ECU off to a shop in TX to have a richer map loaded... that will fix it without "a bunch of mods". Just a proper map vs one that was just for passing EPA. 

Euro Map gets you part of the way there...  but you gotta give up the stock ecu which can affect warranty...  including the lesser known 1-3 year emissions warranty. With a Vortex you get everything the bike can deliver IMMEDIATELY...  and you retain your stock ecu for trips to the shop for potential warranty issues related to the faulty tanks and fuel pumps.

And a little something most folks DON'T KNOW...  the Vortex can be kept and reprogrammed for your NEXT bike in many cases.  

You get what you pay for in this regard. :cheers:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DrKayak said:

Them poorer maps just aren't cutting it these days

11 hours ago, Jeff aka Bolt said:

Euro Map gets you part of the way there...  but you gotta give up the stock ecu which can affect warranty...  including the lesser known 1-3 year emissions warranty. With a Vortex you get everything the bike can deliver IMMEDIATELY...  and you retain your stock ecu for trips to the shop for potential warranty issues related to the faulty tanks and fuel pumps.

And a little something most folks DON'T KNOW...  the Vortex can be kept and reprogrammed for your NEXT bike in many cases.  

All new info for me... cool.. do they make one for the 1290 Super Duke? That would seal the deal on my next bike. :banana:

4 hours ago, DrKayak said:

All new info for me... cool.. do they make one for the 1290 Super Duke? That would seal the deal on my next bike. :banana:

They are working on one for the big bikes but it may require a throttle body change as part of their kit.  No idea on pricing or time frame.  But they do have a bike for development.  :cheers:

On 10/17/2018 at 9:36 PM, Jeff aka Bolt said:

Valid point but I think I want the TC button which chains me to Euro.

On 10/17/2018 at 6:06 PM, StevetheSnake said:

The Husky is very well known to have a defective Magura slave cylinder. Been posted 1,000 times replace the seal with aftermarket or use the KTM Brembo. The bikes are also known to not run chocked up. De smog, de restrict and add a Vortex ECU = 100% done. 

@Jeff aka Bolt has the goods to buy at good 💰 pm him. 

Yeah I went the warranty route just because for the principal of the thing.  Ive got 300 miles and 1 month of warranty left.  I lost it in my morning commute to work, at traffic at a stop.  Sunset and 65 in Rocklin.  Ive been riding long enough to know not to panic...but if it were my son or somebody less experienced.  Its not good.  If a company decides their going to stick their heads in the sand on what must be a $40 part for them, what else are they going to hide.  Never thought Id say it, but the fact this has not been recalled has me considering dropping the Husky/KTM and supporting a smaller company like Beta.

On 10/16/2018 at 5:20 PM, bigbob said:

The always sad thing of MB is the slow and ever increasing death of a once great ride area. I have talked with old timers and 25 years ago MB was huge . Now just one fire road and one dead end double wide

I hate self entitled California environmentalists and their arm chair save the world voting habits

It is sad...MB used to be a great place to train.

7 minutes ago, tighe said:

Yeah I went the warranty route just because for the principal of the thing.  Ive got 300 miles and 1 month of warranty left.  I lost it in my morning commute to work, at traffic at a stop.  Sunset and 65 in Rocklin.  Ive been riding long enough to know not to panic...but if it were my son or somebody less experienced.  Its not good.  If a company decides their going to stick their heads in the sand on what must be a $40 part for them, what else are they going to hide.  Never thought Id say it, but the fact this has not been recalled has me considering dropping the Husky/KTM and supporting a smaller company like Beta.

Hahahaha I’m sorry but going to a smaller company isn’t the direction I would go if I had issues with a Husky. Your asking for more unproven stuff that way. 

The Husky is the one using not using Brembo. The KTM’s which are virtually the same bike using Brembo have no issues other than fueling with the ECU. Using the Euro mapping isn’t going to get you anywhere. You need a fuel controller or better is the Vortex. The TC isn’t going to get you anything either just use the Vortex with a map switch. :bonk:

10 hours ago, tighe said:

Valid point but I think I want the TC button which chains me to Euro.

Not so... :thumbsup:

Friends Dont let friends listen to the internet.