My bike has a Keihin PWK 38mm.  The hose clamp for the boot on the air intake side is different than on the engine side. I’m wondering if there is a reason for this.  I don’t see why they wouldn’t just use the same clamp. On the air intake side it is the ratcheting style, on the engine side it has a flange that only lets you tighten to a certain point and stops. This clamp feels cheap and I want to replace it with a ratcheting style.  Any reason why I shouldn’t do this?

E14E1963-1343-42F5-9368-C49A3EAE8203.jpeg

Top picture shows flanged clamp that I want to replace 

C8AA23B9-1F8A-49B1-9EC6-3588D6552F0F.jpeg

Bottom picture ratcheting style clamp on air intake side. I want to put this style clamp on the other side 

Edited by MixinGasKickinAss

I've always seen the flanged type used on bikes,

in many cases the ratcheting style clamps dig into the rubber from below where the screw's thread usually protrude a bit.

Over time that will wear into the rubber boot, compromising the sealing surface.

Your flanged clamps may be worn or not the right size for the application,

all of mine will tighten the joints sufficient way before they 'bottom out' on their travel stopper.

Edited by mlatour

The sprial ratchet type is typically over tightened causing more problems, as mentioned.

They need to be this type to not cause damage.....

3613-2015.JPG

The stop-clamp type is typically just right, but very flimsey. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, WILLY THE WORT said:

The stop-clamp type is typically just right, but very flimsey. 

Yes I've ever so slightly over tightened mine a few times in the past and they remain deformed.

• Like 1