2016 500rs coolant hose meltdown

My coolant hose finally melted through on a ride this weekend. It’s the hose behind the header that goes into the water pump, and I always wondered when it would melt since I think it was touching the header from the factory.  I have 4000 miles on now and would like to make a permanent fix.  I seem to remember some discussion about this in a post, but couldn’t find it.  I’m thinking metal or braided hose for that elbow.  Anyone have a suggestion on a fix that won’t melt or look too out of place?  Is there a gap all around the hose on anyone else’s bike? My pipe doesn’t appear to be bent and I have no exhaust issues.  The header seems fine where it meets the engine and it goes straight to the muffler pipe. Could it be tweaked though?

I have a 2018 500 and the coolant pipe is very close...not touching but very close. I might buy a braided heat sleeve and slide it over the hose. Im talking about one that slides over a spark plug boot to keep it from melting on a header. 

Since almost day 1, I had noticed the hose behind/under the header and put a big zip tie on it to pull it down and away from the header as my hose was resting on that header.  Since I put the zip tie on the hose, it has not moved and the hose has been safe from the hot pipe/exhaust.  

• Like 1

You can buy heat reflective material for less than $20. My bike lost some it had behind a guard where my right boot sits and the guard and my boot melted a bit. Amazon has something but I’m going to check out autozone first. Maybe even Home Depot since I’ve seen similar stuff used for home hvac. Put it on the hose, not the header.

I have an 18 Xtrainer with only about 50 hours and the hose you describe broke on me yesterday. Mine didn't melt. It cracked where the connection to the water pump is. Guessing the header was pushing on it.

I did the thermostat delete with aftermarket hose kit, also when installing that hose give it a slight twist, counterclockwise prior to tightening the clamp as that will move that hose another 3/16-1/4” away, surprisingly easy and ya will never burn....

Since almost day 1, I had noticed the hose behind/under the header and put a big zip tie on it to pull it down and away from the header as my hose was resting on that header.  Since I put the zip tie on the hose, it has not moved and the hose has been safe from the hot pipe/exhaust.  

I also did this ^^^^^^^and 50 hours later no issues. Cheap fix.

I just looked at the big zip ty that I had put on and it is still doing a fanastic job of keeping the hose a good couple of inches away from the header pipe.  Cheap and EZ.  

22 hours ago, Ben500RR-S said:

Not sure if that will work for me.  Mine is really close.  Yours is a 17?   Any chance you can post a pic of the hose clearance?

It works fine on my 2017 500 RR-S.  The zip ty I put on is big/thick/strong and has kept the coolant pipe off the header for around 3,000 miles and 170 or so hours.  

P1140337.JPG

P1140339.JPG

10 minutes ago, Ben500RR-S said:

It works fine on my 2017 500 RR-S.  The zip ty I put on is big/thick/strong and has kept the coolant pipe off the header for around 3,000 miles and 170 or so hours.  

P1140337.JPG

P1140339.JPG

Sorry, I should have posted a pic.  This is the hose that melted on mine. 

5EF57093-BD21-472B-9757-7C395DEDD988.jpeg

No problem.  At least we all know the two potential problem areas on our bikes.  

I just checked that hose now.  I have good clearance between that hose coming out of the water pump and I think it is BECAUSE of the zip ty that I put on the crossover hose that runs from radiator to radiator under the header pipe.  It pulls down on the entire shebang so the hoses are all pulled away from the exhaust.  

Edited by Ben500RR-S

On 10/16/2018 at 7:09 PM, Mark-us-B said:

I did the thermostat delete with aftermarket hose kit, also when installing that hose give it a slight twist, counterclockwise prior to tightening the clamp as that will move that hose another 3/16-1/4” away, surprisingly easy and ya will never burn....

I’d try the aftermarket if I knew it would fit less snug, but if it’s not slightly smaller it seems like it will still touch the pipe and melt again.  I’m starting to think maybe my pipe moved in a bit.  Even though it seems rigid as hell and straight.  Is the thermostat delete ok for colder climates? I sometimes ride colder months in Michigan.  For clarification, it’s the elbow connected to the water pump.  

287A0BA4-4D8C-4DFA-AFFE-C70196BC9FAB.jpeg

Personally I’d do a little measuring, when cold lol!

I think that if you removed 1/4-3/8” from the end of the hose that comes off the water pump and turn it slightly counterclockwise when installing it, prior to tightening you should not have an issue. As you’re moving the radius of the hose closer to the flange of the water pump spigot and away from the pipe.

My original black oem hoses with the thermostat were closer than my aftermarket thermostat delete hoses to the pipe.